News: Monday, April, 14 2014

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Apr 14, 2014.

1. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the disciplinary committee does nothing, they should be disbanded. If I was an American or Canadian teammate, I would let him know they're is no place for that in this league.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I actually don't mind this because he is being physically harassed and by the bench to boot.

3. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - his shirt was tugged and he was barely wacked by a dry towel. He then followed it with a ten minute display of histrionic personality disorder.

Call it "gamesmanship" if you want, I call it being a pussy.

Even if this had occured at just the high school level, Guevara would have/should have been knocked on his ass for real after play resumed.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To me there is nothing worse than the bench or staff messing with the players. That they actually interfered when the ball is going into play is downright absolute cheating. After all, the game is 11 vs 11. What's worse is that the guy on the bench can do whatever he wants and the most that will happen is he'll be told to leave the field. If Guevara touches the guy on the bench his team is down to 10. So all he has left to do is either ignore the stuff or exaggerate the contact. Say what you will about what he did but it pales to what that guy did. Despicable.

5. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Ignore" is the better option. Way better.

What Corrales did was immature, unprofessional and unsportsmanlike - and he fully deserved the red card. But "despicable"? What Guevara did was a much more despicable form of cheating. At least Corrales wasn't faking and crying like a baby.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ....and that is the difference of how we are taught when it comes to sports compared to how 90 % of the world is.

To bad we we don't do this in the rest of our society anymore where lack of self responsibility and crying are now par for the course.

Adiaga_2 and Len repped this.
  7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a sight for sore eyes that vid clip was---corrales, lisi, agoos, moreno, mathis, mullan, waibel a young magee, a young ching--wow vintage MLS! :):geek:

SoccerMan94043 and Geneva repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Look we won't agree but here's my bright line. If you are receiving a "professional foul" then you can professionally dive. As you said it was worthy of a red card. Nothing wrong with calling the ref's attention to that.

tigersoccer2005 repped this.
  9. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diving is for chumps.

If the "professional foul" isn't physical enough to knock over a player, then that player should grow a backbone and keep going. Let the refs do their job without making a sordid, complicated joke out of the incident.

Guevara only made the entire situation more confusing because instead of simply approaching one of the FOUR officials about what had happened, he decided to roll around on the ground as if his eyeball had exploded out of the back of his skull.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nope. Can't see it. Sneaky fouls will always be much worse for me than selling a foul as long as the foul actually existed.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a player is pushed in the back, but not hard enough to knock him over, and he falls anyway - that's "selling" a foul. The foul happened. The player may have embellished to assure the call is made, but the foul was there.

What Guevara did was more than that. He pretended he was hit in the face when he clearly was not. It would be the same as if he had fallen down in the penalty area w/o any contact from another player during an attempted tackle.

Chum-PAH.

13. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for clearing that for us bro.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    #39 bbsbt, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    If a burglar breaks into your house while you and your family are sleeping, and you confront him and shoot him... who is to blame for any injuries or even death? You for shooting him or the burglar for breaking & entering your own private property?
    I'll go for the latter.

Same situation here: If Corrales was stupid enough to pull something like that, then I, as the victim of such a blatant & unprofessional move, would embellish it to kingdom come.

And to some posters here, please, enough of this "act a man" or "he is a p***sy for acting like he was shot" mucho gobble gobble. If you are embarrassed by such moves because you think it is un-American behavior, then learn to distinguish between 'play acting' for the sake of drawing a foul, vs actual behavior.
    Or don't tell me you all actually fall for that fake muchoism & bravado displayed in movies by our action 'heroes'? You know like, Norris/Stallone/Willis/Lungdren/Schwarzenegger/Rock/Li/Diesel/Statham? (Did I miss anyone?)

15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diving and embellishment are part of the game. It's not fair, but neither is life and football. That's the lesson the US must learn.

16. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    I tend to disagree with the diving part... it should have no place in soccer. But, if someone else clearly & blatantly initiates it and makes me the victim, then I have no problem embellishing it.

17. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 Adiaga_2, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Wow - you're not just comparing apples and oranges - you're comparing like apples and gorillas.

The example you're using is poor at best. Your hypothetical burglar actually committed the crime and suffered the punishment. The comparison would be more accurate if the crook merely staged a rehearsal of the break-in but never actually broke the law.

In which case if that still bothers you, perhaps you should place a call to the police - - or the fourth official.

OR you could just exhibit some class and call out Corrales for what he actually did, not play-act for 10 minutes and pollute the integrity of the game and yourself.

The funny thing is Guevara's reaction to the jersey-tug is fine. He gestures as if to say "What's the deal with this ass clown pulling on my shirt?" But then he raises the entire incident to a whole different level of douche-baggery with his ridiculous antics.

Dude, you really need to work on your analogies. I don't know of anybody (American or otherwise) who buys a ticket to an action movie with the thought that what's on the screen is true life.

However, I'd think that most people who watch a sporting event are hoping for reality in what they are viewing.

He didn't necessarily have to act "like a man" in that situation, but he certainly did NOT need to act like a punk.

18. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for letting all us poor 'Muricans know what we need to learn about 'football.'

Maybe some of the other soccer playing cultures out there should learn to embrace integrity and sportsmanship.

RafaLarios and Zoidberg repped this.
  19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Don't forget that if it goes against your team it allows for the wails of injustice, indignity, outrage and victimization that is so embraced around the world. A big part of it the US must learn also.

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Posted this solely for the use of Muricans!

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    That's a big "maybe" to ask for or hope for, though.

If "diving or embellishment or simulation" (or whatever is the lowest-common denominator) "works" and gets results from time to time, that's going to be enough basis for some/many to resort to it -- integrity and sportsmanship be dammed, when winning is on the line.

Adiaga_2 repped this.
  22. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

tab5g repped this.
  23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So basically, if Guevara had fallen over when his shirt was pulled the first time it would have been ok. Or if he had held his arm in pain then it's ok. Gotcha.

24. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cristiano Ronaldo gets "air hit" :ROFLMAO:

RSLer repped this.
  25. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice job completely ignoring how I mentioned Guevara should have approached one of the officials about the incident, or how I pointed out that his initial reaction to being pulled was completely reasonable.

But in all truthfulness you're completely right. Once again there's a difference to "embellishment" and "completely making something up from one's imagination."

I'm amazed that some of you can't seem to grasp that idea, and would actually condone and out-right defend his reaction...

If Guevara had done what you suggested above, he probably wouldn't have received a yellow card afterwards for diving.

Nor would he have drawn so much ire and admonishment from the TV commentators.

Nor would comedian Judah Friedlander have written a 3-minute bit about it.

Nor would we still be talking about the whole pathetic event 11 years later.