News: Monday, April, 14 2014

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
  3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Guarantee the number has gotten higher every 4 years since 1990 and will continue to.

The baby boomers, usually the biggest soccer haters and dismissers, are dying off slowly but surely every 4 years.

Of course these are the most loyal baseball supporters also. No, baseball isn't going away but I already see weakness in the ranks. For the 4th year running Little League enrollment is down over 30% here in my town, and my neighbor, who is heavily involved says it's the same in other towns around us.

Fourth year in a row they are sending multiple mass emails out to FATHERS of the kids asking them why they haven't signed their kids up yet and what's their problem? It's all done fun and nicely of course but this is the only sport they have to do that for. Have to peer pressure dads to get their kids to sign up and play. Interesting.

TBH, if I were a kid now living where I do, I would have the choice of Lacrosse, Soccer, BBall, Football, Hockey, Roller Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Swimming, Skiing, Sailing, Track, Tennis and Rowing. There is no way in hell I'm playing baseball.
    I am not a baseball hater, I am not a soccer snob....I'm just pointing out my own experiences and what I see.
    When I lived in NY for a couple of years when I was young it was hoops and baseball....that's it. No real choices.
    Soccer was hard to find and was cult status.

Kejsare and 007Spartan repped this.
  5. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think NASL will open more eyes to soccer ...:cautious:o_O:eek:

Soccerglue repped this.
  6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I agree. The crowds and interest in lower league soccer is unprecedented. There seems to be a real future and stability in it for once. For all the incessant complaining and whining we are truly on an upswing. A major one.

7. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma

tehlazerviking and Zoidberg repped this.
  8. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    [quote="Fiosfan, post: 29948362, member: 166489"
    Two in three Americans do not plan to follow soccer's World ...
    Reuter[/quote]

Reminds me of a headline several World Cups ago that something like 60% of Americans didn't know where the World Cup was being held that summer. Aside from the obvious 40% who did (which, actually, was quite impressive) I wouldn't be surprised if 60% didn't know where the next Super Bowl was being held.

9. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Two in three Americans do not plan to follow soccer's World ...
    Reuter

The poll is a nonsense. If it were true the same number or less of Americans would be watching this world cup than 2010 despite the growth in soccer's popularity in that time.
    The real proof comes where they state 86% have no or next to no knowledge of the world cup yet only 66% do not know that Brazil are the hosts.
    Logically if 86% know nothing about the world cup then at least as many or even more should not know a detail such as who the host is.
    I agree this world cup will beat previous records in US viewership once again.

Revolt and Fiosfan repped this.
  10. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, I mean last year was one of the best NBA Finals in years. Not only in terms of the play on the court, but also in terms of the matchup and it "only" drew 26.3 mln viewers. That is less than 10% of Americans and that was the 2nd most viewed NBA game since 1998. The 2010 WC final drew 24.3 million American viewers and it obviously didn't include the US. I'd also mention that, once again, consumers from the US bought more tickets to the World Cup than any other non-host nation.

Yep..... no one like soccer in 'Merica. Seriously, do these reporters just not have google?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...draws-record-ratings-in-usa-europe-and-beyond

Revolt repped this.
  11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    LOL...just watched this episode.

12. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    TomEaton, wantmlsphilly and Mucky repped this.
  13. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope that bastard gets suspended more than a few games. There should be NO place for that. Of course, the referees were totally oblivious - even to the inital cheap shot that should have led to a free kick at the top of the 18 yard box.

TomEaton, MPNumber9 and Fiosfan repped this.
  15. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted the gif on his twitter

Kappa74, TomEaton, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  16. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one is still the all time best clip as far as diving in MLS :notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy:

:p:D

Soccerglue and 007Spartan repped this.
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My fav (head to the video 30 second mark)... I guess this bad diving thing is really a NJ/NY Red Metro Bull issue :p

tigersoccer2005 and 007Spartan repped this.
  19. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club: