Modified UEFA Financial Fair Play + Revenue sharing

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, May 20, 2012.

1. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Achowat repped this.
  2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should be banned for this post.

You backing up your claims/etc and providing links is the last thing you do.

3. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article IX of the NHL is "Dues and Assessments." Nothing there about VETO power.

Are you refering to Article XI 11.1 Leagues Rules which state

"League Rules shall be adopted with the affirmative vote of two third majority members of the League provided always that no such "League Rule" or amendment thereto shall have the effect of depriving any Member Club of the vested property rights in the service of the players or in its home territory except by unanimous consent of all members of the League"

Nothing about veto here either.

I will check the NFL veto power another time. It would be a revelation that a team like the Dallas Cowboys could veto "NFL revenue sharing" if it doesn't think it is in its best interest.

4. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    You need to read the article, not just the title.

5. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did all the NHL owners favor shutting down the 2004-2005 season?

Since if it requires unanimous decision, a big team like Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, New York or Philadelphia could veto it.

Or were they outvoted because many more teams want a hard cap at all cost. Shutting down 1 season is worth the price.

6. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did read it. Noting there about 1 club having veto power unless it deal with stripping said club of their property rights or changing the Constitution of the League.

Look at another pro league. The Scottish Premier League. They will vote in July whether to admit "NEWCO" back into the league. It will have significant financial ramification for the SPL. (Think MLS with or without Seattle + LA).

Does it require unanimous affirmative decision?
    No. It does require 8-4 majority.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/hearts-dont-want-newco-rangers-153000477.html
    The SPL is also voting whether to adopt UEFA financial fair play. And it too doesn't require unanimous affirmative decision.

To the SPL, changing from free spending to UEFA fiancial fair play is as significant as for MLS changing from $2.6 mil hard cap to a 1/3 of revenue = hard cap.

7. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Article IX does not deal with changing the Constitution.
    It states that every member shall keep all revenue from home games, unless unanimously decided otherwise by the Board of Governors (i.e. owners).
    It also states that members will not be asked to aid another member financially without unanimous consent.
    And any payments to sustain the league itself will be equal in terms of $ amounts or revenue %, unless unanimously decided otherwise.

there's no organization that makes all decisions unanimously. the tiers concept has already been explained several times, i'm not sure why you keep going in circles:

8. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article IX is "Dues and Assessments"

[​IMG]

So let's me ask you, if MLS change from $2.6 mil hard cap to 1/3 of revenue = hard cap, which majority is required?

Simple majority
    Super-majority
    Unanimous approval

My disagreement is that it requires unanimous approval. I believe it requires a super-majority (which is defined as 60% or 66.7%). And I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind.

If others want to continue to believe it requires unanimous approval, it is their rights. Let's agree to disagree.

9. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    yes, this is the article. is it confusing?

I don't know.
    And then keep in mind that your original post dealt mainly with revenue sharing:

You are guessing the decision making procedure for (1) restructuring the cap; (2) increasing revenue sharing.
    You don't even know how many MLS owners it takes to make the simplest of decisions at ownership meeting level. Majority? 3/4? Maybe it's about shares, not owners?
    Yet you make "an educated guess" that it takes 2/3 of votes to drastically rebuild revenue sharing, which is one of the hardest things to do in any sports organization.

Why?
    For all I know, it takes unanimous decision. Or there are options to request a buyout. Or it takes close to unanimous agreement. I don't know. 2/3 would seem extremely low judging by other examples we know. Either way, making that guess is a pointless exercise to begin with.

10. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it talks about "dues and assessments" not "revenue sharing."

I don't think revenue sharing require unanimous agreement.

Look at MLB who does have revenue sharing. It doesn't require unanimous approval. Otherwise, the Yankees would have veto it.

Look at the Premiership, which share a lot of TV revenue. To change the tv revenue sharing %, 14 Premierships owners have to approve.

[​IMG]

And if the Premiership want to abolish relegation and promotion, it needs 2/3 majority or 14 clubs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/17/foreign-owners-premier-league-relegation
    Several of the biggest Premier League clubs want to scrap relegation and promotion, according to the League Managers' Association chief executive, Richard Bevan

He fears that if more teams change ownership there could be a vote to abolish relegation, a move which would require the backing of two thirds of Premier League clubs as well as Football Association approval.

If the NFL allows a veto on revenue sharing, a rich team like Washington Redskins or Dallas Cowboys might have used it already.

11. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found MLB revenue sharing and it doesn't require unanimous approval

http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/02-4rules.htm

Unless otherwise specified, all votes require a simple majority of all clubs in both leagues, with the vote of each team in the smaller league weighted so the leagues collectively cast the same number of votes. (Thus each of the 16 NL clubs receives one vote, each of the 14 AL clubs receives 1-1/7 vote.) The specified exceptions include:

Simple majority, including at least five clubs in each league: matters subject to collective bargaining with the MLBPA.

Simple majority of clubs in each league, counted separately: issues affecting the scheduling of both leagues' seasons; any action affecting the All-Star Game or any postseason series; amendment of the playing or scoring rules (where if the leagues disagree, the Commissioner can cast the deciding vote); any action relating to radio or television.

3/4 majority of the clubs in each league: interleague play; switch in either league away from current three-division format; any amendment to the Central Fund Agreement except those affecting radio and TV (which, as noted above, can be changed by a simple majority in each league).

3/4 majority in the affected league, plus a majority of clubs in the other league: expansion, sale or transfer of control of a club (except that control passing to a spouse or descendant requires only a majority vote), relocation of a club to a city not within the other league's circuit [transfers into another club's territory require 3/4 majority in both leagues]

3/4 majority of all member clubs: any change in revenue sharing that affects both leagues, except for amendments to the Central Fund Agreement [3/4 majority of each league]; amendments to the Major League Agreement, except that those affecting the Commissioner, the Executive Council and the procedure, including voting requirements, applicable at joint meetings require a 3/4 majority of the clubs in each league.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------That's probably explain why MLB doesn't have a NFL-style hard cap. It would require 3/4 supermajority or 23 out of 30 owners. A hard cap makes a lot of sense for MLB compare to EPL. Since MLB is the top baseball league, it won't lose top talents to another league if it moves to a hard cap. The same can't be said for the EPL. EPL with a NFL hard cap will see a drain on top talents. But a revenue (for example 2/3 of revenue = salary+transfers) hard cap would work for EPL.

A "% of revenue" hard cap would work for MLB too but it will maintain the status quo, which mean no parity.

12. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're confusing Dues and Assessments with revenue sharing. Please re-read it careful.

[​IMG]

At each annual meeting, the owners will determine the amount of "dues" they have to pay. Lot of organization charges you a dues for annual membership.

(any) Assessments are payments from members club to pay for the League expenses/liabilities. This assessment has to be EQUAL among all members. And the league can't use this assessment to foster, promote, aid a particular member unless it gets unanimous approval.

13. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    You are saying that veto is not used by other sports leagues, and therefore MLS is not likely to use it.
    I'm saying that your facts are wrong. I've pointed to veto clauses within other US major leagues.

I mean, you can agree to disagree. But I don't really see much to disagree about here.

So anything that's not titled "revenue sharing" is not revenue sharing?

This article describes the procedure for any assessments made by the Board of Governors.
    The Board of Governors shall not make "assessments for the purpose of fostering (aiding, promoting) another member without the unanimous approval." In other words, the Board can make such assessments unanimously.
    Rich teams being asked to pay money to poor teams in order to make them more competitive falls within that definition.

I'm not sure why you have 'equal' in caps? Payments are equal in either amount or percentage, and that can be changed via unanimous agreement. It seems self explanatory.

so you'll just ignore my previous post and their Constitution. fair enough.

This whole part was extremely confusing. Are you talking about TV revenue sharing, or pro/rel here? A lot of info, but what for?

Yes, it does not. Neither does the NBA.
    Leagues work differently. They should be expected to be different. That's what everyone has been saying all along.

Some of them use veto for certain things, others use it for other things, others merely require 75% or whatever votes for even the biggest of decisions.

The question is how do you go from that to your conclusion that MLS uses a certain type of procedure.

14. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I think this is wise.

We don't know all that much about MLS, LLC. In Fraser, the court described it as follows: "In the wake of a successful World Cup USA, MLS was officially formed in February 1995 as a limited liability company (“LLC”) under Delaware law.   The league is owned by a number of independent investors (a mix of corporations, partnerships, and one individual) and is governed by a management committee known as the board of governors.   Some of the investors are passive;  others are also team operators as explained below."

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1441684.html

Now, knowing it's chartered in Delaware makes it possible to make some very general educated guesses, but how these various tiers of ownership have input in some of these decisions on a specific issue like revenue sharing has never been described to my knowledge. Majority, super majority, veto, other classes of shareholders that might have a vote -- it's a shot in the dark IMO.

There's more. Every I/O operates a team under the terms of a management agreement with the league. Fraser again: "MLS contracts with these investors to operate nine of the league's teams (the league runs the other three).   These investors are referred to as operator/investors and are the co-defendants in this action.   Each operator/investor has the “exclusive right and obligation to provide Management Services for a Team within its Home Territory” and is given some leeway in running the team and reaping the potential benefits therefrom."

So, each team has a contract with MLS, LLC that indicates what money they keep and what money they share with the league. MLS can't simply breach that agreement (although who knows what out clauses may exist).

About all we can say definitively as that some of the biggest new revenue streams -- shirt sponsors and local TV money -- are not shared (or, at least, most of those dollars aren't shared save the relatively modest fee attached to the shirt deals). If anything, that suggests the trend isn't to share more money IMO.

15. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF (big if in my opinion) revenue sharing does require unanimous approval in MLS and be subjected to a veto just by 1 club, it can be work around.

1/3 of revenue = maximum salary budget

$30 mil revenue: $10 mil salary budget (maximum)
    $20 mil revenue: $6.67 mil salary budget (maximum)
    $15 ml revenue: $5 mil salary budget (maximum)
    $10 mil revenue: $3.33 mil salary budget (maximum)

+ solidarity payment. Each club will send a _ % of their salary budget as solidarity payment. This percentage figure will be the same for all clubs. The solidarity payment will be divided equally among all clubs. MLS owners will negotiate among themselves to come up with a percentage that work.

For example, Seattle will send X% of their $10 mil salary budget
    Toronto will send X% of their $7 mil salary budget
    San Jose will send X% of their $3.33 mil salary budget

High salary clubs will have a net loss and low salary clubs will have a net gain.

The solidarity payment is a compromise to get more owners on board.

16. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    that's revenue sharing.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's also the same exact shit he's posted 125321097823-46967134598092345.34623 times before.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuck that, I say we take the number of points and divide them by the salary of the team, the top 8 teams make the playoffs, I think SJ and RSL would do very well then, NY and LA would probably not make the playoffs. :p

19. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points per Price...It'd be a cool thing to see who was the "Pound for Pound" Champion every year

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody would just create Cal FC. They could get 1 draw in 34 games and then their price per point would be damn near infinite.

21. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to actually award a CCL berth to the Pound for Pound Champion, I just want to know who it is

22. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which requires 75% affirmative vote for MLB.
    Which requires 67% affirmative votes for EPL.

Maybe MLS is in the same ballpark instead of 100% affirmative vote required?

23. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    this is weird. don't you remember we just discussed this?

24. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Guessing the percentage of the BofG required to approve this is pointless.
    I am curious, however, what the OP means by "significant revenue sharing"? Greater percentage of ticket revenues? Shirt deals? How much money are we talking about?

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything that involves pantsing the clubs that actually do already spend, and fluffing those that don't.