Modified UEFA Financial Fair Play + Revenue sharing

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, May 20, 2012.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potowmack said it. Private Companies can structure shareholder requirements and provisions however the blue hell they want. It's actually NOTHING like Apple, at all other than the fact that there are multiple "holders" ....

2. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the NHL also require all owners to agree when they changed from no salary cap to a hard salary cap? It was a drastically change of business for the NHL. Or was it a 2/3 majority vote?

A number of NHL teams opposed because they benefited from having no hard cap. So how did the NHL get it passed if it only took 1 club to "veto"?

If you want to believe that it takes all 19 teams "YES" vote, it's your choice. I will stick with 2/3 majority or 13 out of 19 clubs.

-----------------
    for the NBA, it's the majority vote, 16 owners to ratify a new CBA.

You could argue that for the NBA, the CBA is not "business altering" that's why it require majority (16 owners) instead of all 30 owners. But the CBA is just as important to the NBA as a "new structure" to MLS.

4. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look like it doesn't require ALL owners in the English Championship. 3 owners voted against but it still passed. I guess there is no veto in that league.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17841566

2/3 majority would mean 16 out of 24 clubs. It got 21 out of 24 clubs voting in favor.

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're talking about something entirely different than changing a CBA. You're talking about the very structure of the business. I'm 100% sure that if 26 NHL teams wanted to start playing volleyball, the other 4 could stop them.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ice volleyball, just what the winter Olympics need.

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, you get some of those girls in those shorts with the ice-gripping shoes the curlers wear. Put a little snow down....NO! I will not go down this road again!

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still haven't recovered all the pictures from the first time eh ? :cool:

9. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So NHL adopting a hard salary cap from free spending model was not "the very structure of the business"?

10. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If EPL decides to go from free spending to a UEFA financial fair play percentage cap similar to League 1 and League 2 (a major restructure of its business), how many owners would be needed?

All 20? (which mean 1 club can veto it?)
    2/3 majority? (14 out of 20?)
    simple majority? (11 out of 20?)

If MLS decides to go from a rigid hard cap ($2.6 mil a year) to a "flexible" hard cap (1/3 of revenue = hard cap), how many owners would be needed?

All 19? (which mean 1 club can veto it)?
    2/3 majority?

11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason the EPL is not analagous to the NHL or MLS is simply because there are organizations that EPL needs to please. They need the FA to sanction them as D1, they need UEFA to agree (for CL slots). If financial fair play were to ever come to England, it will not grow from within, but from without.

That would, likely, never happen to the NHL or MLS

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the MLS needs to "please" the USSF doesn't it ? I mean for sanctioning as D1, for the CL slots from the SS and MLS Cup ....

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS has a far greater chance of succeeding if barred from the CCL and USOC than the EPL has if they can't play in the FA Cup, Community Shield, Champions League, or UEFA Cup

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that ...

... but lose that D1 sanctioning (not happening, but you know what I mean).

15. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt USSF would ever say no to MLS. Certainly, I doubt USSF would really care how MLS structured its internal finances. CONCACAF might be more meddlesome, though they haven't shown all that much interest in the inner workings of leagues.

16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the post above yours. I agree, however there is (technicality degree of seriousness it might be at this juncture in time) an entity that the league must "please."

17. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as CONCACAF still gets 4 USA/Mexico games a year; as long as they keep taking our money and building golden palaces to themselves in shitbag little islands, then no one is going to care one way or the other

18. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    It doesn't matter what any other entity requires for voting percentages to make organizational changes. MLS is a private company with its own set of internal bylaws. Perhaps the owners all agreed that certain organizational changes would be decided by a clairvoyant octopus, while other lesser decisions would be made by the reigning champion of the MLS Board of Governors NCAA March madness bracket challenge. It's pointless guessing.

However, some people do seem to understand correctly that however these decisions are ratified, it is based on how it benefits MLS and its individual members to meet long term goals and there are compromises involved. Some changes might solve one problem and create others. I am sure that no decisions are based on threads and polls on bigsoccer.

19. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet there are the few and proud that post as though they are ...

20. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS decides to go from a rigid hard cap ($2.6 mil a year) to a "flexible" hard cap (1/3 of revenue = hard cap), how many owners would be needed?

What would your educated guess be?

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will guess 10.

Well I am not sure how voting rights work, AEG (or what ever they are called) has 2 votes right? how about stockholders that are not operators, like the dude that used to own Miami Fusion, does he have a vote on this, do only 1 type of stockholders vote?

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey look, regurgitation !

[​IMG]

23. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one of the upsides of being in such a corrupt and useless confederation- they basically just leave MLS alone to do its own thing. It's sort of like my boss back when I was working maintenance at a country club during college. He would typically have a couple of drinks at lunch, then spend the afternoon with his mistress. Best boss I ever had :)

After the fiasco of the 2022 WC, I think it became apparent to MLS's owners that the league really just needs to look out for its own interests. Doing things to please USSF, CONCACAF and/or FIFA, beyond the minimun needed to make sure those organizations leave MLS alone, is pointless.

ceezmad repped this.
  24. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    We have no clue. There's nothing educated about making that guess.

Rules among organizations differ.

If you are claiming that veto is not used by other organizations, you are wrong. The NHL uses it for many decisions, including revenue sharing. So does the NFL, including TV revenue sharing.

You didn't just suggest restructuring the cap; you suggested extreme increase in revenue sharing, which typically is much harder to do than just change the cap.
    Not that it matters much, because we don't even know how many votes it takes to change the cap in MLS. Who knows, maybe it's not even about votes in MLS; possibly it's about shares and possibly early stockholders (who risked hundreds of millions on MLS when noone else would) have retained privileged voice in this regard.

Either way, it's a lot of pointless guessing.
    The best you can look to do in the bigsoccer YBTD section is come up with something and explain why it makes sense from your personal perspective.
    Arguing that it would get passed in MLS owners meeting is just monkey business.

25. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you back up your statement?

A link would be nice.