Modified UEFA Financial Fair Play + Revenue sharing

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, May 20, 2012.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as you get help for your oversensitivity ... deal ?

2. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Netiquette. Oversensitivity has nothing to do with this. And I am just fine, tyvm.

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Netiquette wasn't followed by the person I responded too. Sometimes, there's only one thing that a certain type responds to. "Like for like" is a concept you should perhaps look into.

Also, Netiquette is more a set of guidelines really, there's nothing concrete and it varies greatly from place/situation to place/situation.

Case in point: You're the only person that's said ANYTHING (see what I did there) about the all caps. Only person ...

... which would indicate much more a case of being oversensitive as opposed to some breach of something that doesn't exist in a concrete form. Just saying.

Also ... seriously, can we move on ? I mean for reals.

Jasonma repped this.
  4. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I have closure. For the record, I think financial fair play is something that should be implemented by the league, if it hasn't already. It's a great idea.

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See this, here, where you type in all caps to illustrate the point...

Just sayin'

6. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In mockery of the said user using all caps, I might add.

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you used mockery ... but I can't, I might add.

This must be a Galaxy Fan thing then :whistling::cool:

8. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I had closure, but it seems it's a Texas thing to beat a dead horse. Guess I was wrong...

9. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SERIOUSLY ?

[​IMG]

10. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, the said user is you. Yeah, cause you were using caps unnecessarily, I decided to call you out and mock you for doing it. Yep, must be a Texas thing to beat a dead horse. You said you were going to move on and go back to discussing financial fair play, but temptation got the better of you, I guess. Too bad.

11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the guy crying about beating a dead horse, after he beats the dead horse ... I guess irony is another concept you lack understanding in ...

... only in LA.

12. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No tears are shed for you, ye who supports a team that will never see the light of MLS, ever. If you want to drag this further, take it to PMs. Otherwise, we need to get back to talking about financial fair play.

I don't know if this has already been posted, but here is a report, just in case.

13. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even know what that's all about. No tears ? Ok. Oh, and I'll be sure to hop right on doing what you tell me too ... right after I care about your opinion on the future of the club I support.

It's pretty easy really ... just stfu about it, like I attempted to do.

14. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I've already said my opinion on financial fair play. See above.

15. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    triplet1 wrote:

What kind of return does that $3.7m provide in Columbus? Will they draw more people than they would with a $1.7m roster? Maybe. As you say, people want to see talent. But given their ticket prices are low and they've had a tough time selling their stadium naming rights and shirt, what could that $2m do if it was spent in Seattle instead? Could they open another deck? Improve their local TV deal? Could they generate a higher return with those dollars?

We can argue the specifics of whether it might make a difference, but I don't think you can dispute that would be the analysis that they would do. Sure, every market wants to see talent, but for a true single entity the question is where is the application of that talent the most profitable?

Again, if MLS was really a single entity allocating it's own money, it would spend payroll where it got the most return.

18. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Yep.

But the answer is that MLS isn't really acting like a single entity here.

Personally, I maintain -- and I have always maintaied -- that MLS isn't a single entity in the aspect that matters most: the investors' profit is primarily derived not from the success of the single corporate entity, but rather from maximizing the profits of their own individual corporate entity that operates "their" team.

We can sit here all day and talk about how if someone really owned and operated every team keeping all of the profits they might deploy their resources differently in different markets -- I firmly believe the league would and that was my point in the text you quoted -- but that presupposes the money is flowing into a single wallet, and it isn't.

The single entity system is still badly misunderstood -- we continue to get people in the media claiming MLS owns 51% of every team -- and is often cited as some sort of magic elixer that cures every financial ailement. "My team is losing boatloads of money? No problem, it's a single entity and someone else will carry us." It doesn't work that way. The I/Os keep most of what they make in their stadiums.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    OK, so it's oligarchy.

But without needing to publicly disclose their financials, it's very easy to shuffle the money around without much accountability. As it were.

20. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Yeah, but why do to such trouble to shuffle money around just to share it? As it is now, and since 2002, they keep it for themselves. And they like to keep it for themselves.

The simple rule of thumb is that MLS acts as a single entity when it wants to hold down player costs because it benefits all of them. When it comes to the rate of return to the I/Os, the owners and are individual profit centers.

With the exception of some shared gate receipts, they eat what they kill. MLS actually shares a lower percentage of gate receipts than the NFL where it's 40%, while since 1997 MLB shares between 31-39% of all local revenues after deducting stadium expenses under a complicated formula.

It may say its a single entity, but revenue sharing in MLS appers no more generous than other big leagues, and in fact is probably less so compared to the two biggest.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TV revenues (National and International) are shared like the others, with the plus that with SUM, they can share a little extra money made outside MLS rights. (I assume they also have to share 25% of SUM profits with that Capital Investment firm).

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think the answer, to some extent, lies in the Beckham signing.

The Galaxy/AEG was footing pretty much the entire bill but, when his "tour" generated huge attendance spikes in his first season, that helped the finances of other clubs even more than it helped the Galaxy's. In fact, the Revs and the old Red Bulls made a special "Beckham" ticket package that included the Galz match plus 3-5 others. In other words, teams that averaged under 10K per match not only sold 40,000-50,000 seats for LA, they sold those extra 30,000-40,000 seats 3-5 times more. ( although most of these packages went to waste) Simple math then suggests that Beckham basically doubled the annual gate receipts for some of these clubs with a single appearance. And then there were, of course, additional parking, food and merchandising revenues on top of that as well.

Could it be possible that MLS said to the Krafts and the other owners, "When Beckham comes, you pay 50% of your tix revenues to the HQ"? Could the HQ also grabbed his 300,000 annual shirts for itself without distributing the funds to all teams equally?

On top of that, you get these SUM/USSF side deals - Kraft may be shafted on the merchandising revenues a tad but Foxboro gets to host a US-Spain match as compensation and that's $4M-$6M in total revenues that gets sliced up in various chunks based on politics rather than pure accounting concept of marginal contribution.

23. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Could they have done this? I suppose. But there's no indication MLS did change the percentages. In fact, some of the feasibility studies were done after Beckham, and they didn't note any change in gate receipts paid to the league.

I suspect just the opposite is true. I think the Galaxy sold the DP rule on the idea that other owners would benefit at the gate (and keep more money) when he came to town. IIRC, Lew Wolff even bargained for that, and Dallas pitched a small fit when he didn't make on of those early trips.