Moderating Philosophy/Standards for this forum - input needed!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dark knight, Jun 30, 2011.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan of that thread either. But the argument is being made that there isn't a clear enough distinction between USA Men vs. News and Analysis as it is. Some people who post here are perfectly comfortable with the presence of threads like that, as long as others who disagree with the OP are allowed to respond to it in a similar vein.

Perhaps more to the point, the idea is that if we're going to be really restrictive in one place, there should be someplace else that's much looser to accommodate other things fans like to do: vent, for example.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it's because I'm still restricted out of N&A for posting that it bothers me so much, but I haven't been reading much better arguments in there, which is why I suggested the "You be Sunil" or as DK stated, "Bob" forum where the same repetitive junk can be dumped along with the flights of fantasy that have been flying around can be "relocated".

I know it's made MLS General & N&A so much better that all league structure, playoff format and pro/rel threads can be put in you be the Don so those eight/twelve people who are involved in every one of those threads can be happy customers and people like me can occasionally amuse themselves poking them with sharp sticks while the regular fan and serious discussions happen in the upper rooms.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As DK said already, another forum that allows more options is an interesting idea, and different versions of it have been tossed around among the mods for a while now.

One issue that needs to be addressed that's connected with the idea of another USA sub-forum is that there needs to be a positive reason for people to go to it. It's tough to justify it if the only threads that end up there are the ones that get relegated there by mods, either because they don't like it or people complain about it too much. To be specific, the tagline for a forum like the You be Bob one can't be "Where all the repetitive junk gets dumped!" That's not a real grabber.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People always stealin' my ideas.

How about "Discuss Changes to the USSF Here". Because that seems to be the majority of the crackpottery right now. That and what Mike Bradley's username is.

5. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    He said positive reason. :D

Wanting to segregate folks who think we need change is not a positive reason any more than doing the same to those who want the status quo

6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But segregating the insanity out from either side of that argument should be considered a positive.

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,define insanity.

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering that too. One of the mods got mad for doing similar about Sunil (calling him out) and I think the thread was shut down. Someone got lectured for making fun of his economic stance and credibilty too lol

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    There are people here who like to think of themselves as an old-guard, who either are insiders or feel like insiders to a certain degree, who think everything is personal.

They need to get used to the idea that this is not their cute little cult team. This is the National Team of a proud nation of 300 million people, competing on a global level. They are the backwards ones who need to be modded into accepting other voices with less small-time attitudes.

I like the Nepotism thread because it flies directly in the face of that small-time, small elite group conventional wisdom. Conventional wisdom needs a kick in the ass because it's so self-righteous, and not all that right.

I didn't like the moving of that thread to US Men because the only result of it seemed to be to allow those whose only goal was to get it closed to attack other voices with a lot less disguise. Just pure immaturity.

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone should have got lectured on his economic stance. Nothing to do with soccer.

11. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about certain players or posters in the first part of your post?

12. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See that's the thing...there have been other "personal" attacks that have gone untouched.

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Posters.

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for more moderation here because someone decided some topics are moved here.

I used to avoid US Men entirely because the level of discourse was more enjoyable in N & A. But then, until recently, if you actually wanted to discuss the USMNT coach, you had to come here to the "Bob Thread" or do the same to discuss Michael. But you could talk about obscure, until lately, possible Nat. Timmy Chandler, in N & A.

Which, if you think about it, makes no sense at all.....

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then report them until the mods do something or take it to customer service.

16. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care about personal attacks on players/managers/officials/etc that much since this is a message board after all. It's just weird to pick out certain posts to lecture about. I can't really do anything about that.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chances are, if they do act on a post, it was reported.

18. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get rid of the US vs Mexico thread stickied at the top. With the exception of a few US fans baiting, those clowns pretty much just talk to themselves anyway. Let them discuss or lulz or whatever it is they do in their own forum or in World Rivalries.

19. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Not gonna lie, I too wish that thread were in World Rivalries.

20. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Usually, yes this is the case....because we can't read every post on here, believe it or not.

I often act on posts that aren't reported, but not as often as I act on posts that are reported. We rely on the posters to help us out here.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brother. You have the power. I would have already made it so and flayed any American or Mexican that tried to restart it.

22. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1.

23. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I actually don't have the power. Has to be a group decision, especially considering the thread wasn't my idea to start with. I ain't going to step on fellow mods' toes.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider this the request and friendly advice (to the other mods) of one of the longest current customers of BigSoccer, former moderator of Rivalries, God-King Troll of BigSoccer.

It should be in World Rivalries. US Men's doesn't have to be run like East Germany under the Stasi like BSMX, but it doesn't have to have a turd sitting in the corner to attract all the flies out of the rest of the house.

World Rivalries was created for a reason. Use it.

25. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were a mod before?? hahaha