Mobcast Cup (International Women's Club Championship 2012)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Oct 18, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    actually, it was intended to be a joke.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For all the ones who were afraid that Mobcast Cup would have ruined France NT's preparation for the friendly match vs Germany... ;)

Germany-France 1-1; French girls came back from 0-1 and the scorer was Franco, again scoring a decisive equalizer after 4 days... grabbing a draw vs Germany is not so bad a result, and it looks like after all OL players weren't so tired :rolleyes: (also Nécib and Abily hit the crossbar and Bouhaddi had at least one great save).

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i just posted this in the collectors' board but it fits better here perhaps. i'm neither a collector nor a seller but here is something that may appeal to some here.

[​IMG]
    i wanted to buy this jersey at the OL store but they weren't on sale with this sponsor, worn only for the mobcast cup in japan.

now there are a limited number on sale, but only in women's cut and sizes. my guess is that these were never intended as fan shirts but that adidas made up more than necessary for the players and these are leftovers.

http://boutique.olweb.fr/produits/2...femme-2012-2013-adidas-sponsor-only-lyon.aspx

blissett repped this.
  4. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Those are nice. I've never been one to purchase jerseys but I'm so tempted to get the #3 shirt, as shown on the site. :)

[​IMG]

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Any news yet on the 2013 version? As I recall, they said they would try it for three years and wave their arms a lot so FIFA would notice them.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Probably it would have been much more simple if OL had won the Champions' League, since their partecipation was already experimented and was a given. I hope that Wolfsburg's fans and managing are excited anyway by the idea of a "sorta" World Cup for clubs, and I hope the Japanese sponsor already contacted them and had a positive response.

I wouldn't mind also having a team from USA this time, and it would help recognition of the cup and would better attract both teams to participate and, I guess, sponsorships to give it a try... When does NWSL ends exactly and which club is most likely to win it? Actually I am not following the thing right now...

7. Gromit06

Gromit06 Member+

Oct 22, 2012
    Nice
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    The NWSL ends on August 18th (very close). At the time of the MobCast Cup, the league will be over, and it's possible that some best players of the team who will champion, have left to play in Europe...
    Anyway, the fours serious contenders for the title at the moment seem to be Kansas City, Portland Thorns, Sky Blue and Western New York Flash. HERE today's ranking.
    I'm sure that Jean-Michel Aulas will do everything to be invited, even if Lyon didn't win the CL ;)

Oh, maybe you'll need some explanations aboutt he play-offs. HERE.

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    all the NWSL games can be replayed & watched on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NWSLsoccer

The Portland Thorns are probably the most exiting team to watch with the deadly duo upfront of Sinclair & Morgan and by far the biggest home crowds at their games, averaging over 12k. It's brawn & brains between those two as Sinclair has been quite adapt to becoming the play maker to Morgan's raw power & energy.
    The league pretty much plays the American style as it's all about speed, speed ,speed! But too much use of the off sides trap can get pretty much annoying to watch. Sydney Leroux is the league's leading scorer with 14 goals. So far, the 2 German forwards, Grings & Pohlers have failed to impress with just 3 & 1 goals between them.

blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I surfed the net a little and there are no obvious news about Mobcast Cup, apart from what was planned since a year ago... :unsure:

So, although I was the one who opened this thread early in 2012, i don't think it's a case yet of opening a dedicated thread for Mobcast Cup 2013... at least until we have some actual info about it.

But if any mods think that these last posts could be enough to open a new discussion about upcoming Mobcast Cup 2013, feel free to migrate those posts in a new thread. For my part, I am going to open a thread only when we get to know something new about the subject...

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Thanks for looking...I was think if they still shooting for a november date something would be in the air by now.

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just went watching the beginning of this thread: first news about Mobcast Cup 2012 were in october, for a tournament that was going to be played about at the end of november.

It's true that this year is different, because it's not a new thing and we can see it coming, but, considering how late we knew about it last year, I wouldn't be overly worried if we still haven't news at the beginning of august...

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    it's not all about speed, speed, speed. the best teams, fckc, wny flash, portland thorns pass the ball around. maybe faster than in europe, but they do pass the ball around. watch fckc in this video.
    (their most recent game is not, i think, available on youtube and this one had a long rain delay. broadcast starts in earnest at about 1:58:16)

also incorrect.
    http://www.nwslsoccer.com/Stats/index_E.html

13. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Dont know how serious Wolfsburg will take this cup. The problem is that many games in December in the Bundesliga get postponed because of the winter.That was also a reason Wolfsburg had so many games packed in 2013. I think no team in Europe had so many games in such short amount of time in the second half of the season,which really took a toll on the players. Wolfsburg barely made it to the finish line last season,but kudos for fighting through it. Every game day counts, if you are sure to having many games postponed because of the weather and want to compete in national and international competitions.

Gromit06 repped this.
  14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    don't they take a winter break like the men do? or are the weather postponements in spite of the winter break?

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ....what league are you watching???

If Portland is exciting, it's not because of Sinclair & Morgan. Their pairing was ineffective for a large period of time mid-season, and Thorns like Foxhoven and Heath are much more fun to watch. And as for the most exciting team, it's KC hands-down. Great players developing scarily rapidly under a great coach.
    As has already been pointed out, your scoring stat is WAY off.
    Pohlers has "failed to impress" because she landed on a hopeless team. Grings, on the other hand, may not have gotten on the scoresheet much but has done wonders in helping organize Chicago's offense.

[/offtopic]

Looking forward to October for Mobcast Cup news. Heck, I hope it gets expanded. As in:
    --French champion, cup & season (Lyon)
    --German & European champion, cups & season (Wolfsburg)
    --US champion, season (TBD, likely KC)
    --US champion, playoffs (TBD)
    --Japanese champion, cup (TBD)
    --Japanese champion, season (TBD, likely INAC)
    --Australian champion, season (Sydney FC)
    --Australian champion, playoffs (Brisbane Roar)
    Might have some problems with the Australian NWSL players, but it would be fun anyway. Some potential TBD overlap might complicate the bracket, but hey the men's CWC has seven, not eight, so it's all good, right? =-)
    Whether it gets expanded or not, I would think (hope) we actually might hear something before October, since they're not creating it out of thin air now.

blissett repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    luvdagame & Siberian Thunder,

My last post was a' quick recap' rather than an in 'depth analysis' on the NWSL for forum member Blisset. The Portland Thorns are still my fav team. Obviously a lot of people feel like me since they get thrice as many fans out to their games.
    Yeah, but the Morgan/Sinclair combo is lacking a certain chemistry right now. There could be too much sportsmanship of trying to one up each other or the speedier defenders they're facing as these two usually blow right past the rest of the world when playing for their respective national teams.
    Be interesting to see how either Portland or KC would fair against Lyon or Wolfburg. You would think the American teams would kill them with their speed, but the two euro teams might outsmart them with their midfield creativity.

17. Lieri

Lieri Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I would like to see the Mobcast Cup being expanded as well, but I would rather see something more like:
    -- Mobcast Cup reigning champion (Lyon)
    -- UWCL champion (Wolfsburg)
    -- Japanese champion
    -- Japanese cup winner (not really, but with it being a Japanese tournament I assume this is unavoidable)
    -- Australian champion
    -- NWSL champion
    -- Copa Libertadores Feminina champion
    -- Third European team

I don't know how to pick the third European team, but as a Swede I would ideally see the Swedish champion, Tyresö FF. The top 3 leagues are Germany, France and Sweden and since the league and cup winners from both Germany and France are already included, the Swedish champion seems somewhat logical. And with all of Tyresö's stars and the current status of women's football in general in Sweden, that would be a pretty good addition to the tournament.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's simply because it's Portland. They could be last in the league, playing horrible football and they'd still be getting at least twice as much as the next nearest team. Paulson knows what he's doing.
    Portland, maybe, though with Heath their midfield is WAY better than it was earlier this season. KC's midfield is easily the most creative midfield I've ever seen in a women's team.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would be okay with this model, too. =-)
    I would think the South American champ would be easily played off the field, but I guess Canberra didn't do so hot last year as well, so it'd be an even trade (one Aussie team for the SA champ). And although I definitely think Lyon should take part again, I'm a little hesitant to leave a spot for the defending champs.

20. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Probaly but they deserv a spot just for having a Confederation wide Women's Cup for Clubs something only CONMEBOL and UEFA have.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Right, right - that's why I'm okay with including them, even if it doesn't bring the level of competition up much. =-)

JanBalk repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Let's also add Washington & Shinn to Portland's solid midfield. Of course KC got the most chemistry in the middle with not only the 'Louisa Necib' of American soccer; Erica Tymark, but Holiday/Cheney, Mewis, Mathias &Buzckolski(spell check) as well. With the new talent we're seeing in the NSWL, I think it's proving what I've long suspected; that a USWNT 'B' squad could probably challenge anybody for the 2nd best team in the world! Perhaps a 'C' squad could crack the top ten as well?

Hats off to the NSWL for making it such a well balanced league(well, perhaps not the Spirit!). Glad they didn't go the way whats becoming all so common in Europe; the super team; while the rest of the other teams in league's are considered fodder. Still, don't know if KC could handle someone like OLympique Lyon, with it's zillion internationals, if they do get to play in the Mobcast Cup.

23. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh come on...:rolleyes:. You obviously know..hmmm..:cautious: it's because every other global women's league remains a vehicle for wide ranging player development, all based around semi and pro structures of club football, replicating ladder systems similar to what we see around various nations fully pro male domestic leagues?

This is why established female club structures in Europe will never look to copy anything seen in any north American league, with the few who do like the current FAWSL's U.S. based wnt camp like structure, eventually evolving back into top heavy relegation based systems too, and why... because even with faults, it's what they all know works best for both sexes player development within their own FA's/Feds.

Europe, and even Asia both faking parity right now, doesn't create the great OL and Inac teams we've all seen over the past few years, and I doubt it ever will either, when you see the long term benefits a top heavy ladder based system has now provided the much older Swedish and German leagues standard of competitive league play too.

24. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012

In early december they still play and thats where a lot of games get postponed to the next year and if the winter is early, it can really effect the schedule despite the winter break.

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, if the winter is very early, they can just pack their things, forget about playing in Germany for some months and get a trip in Japan! :p

Weltmann repped this.