MNT All-Time Best XI

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoSix, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bob's probably busy looking for a job.

2. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    The criteria the USSF said the voters should use:

• Starter or key contributor to overall success on the field, especially in World Cups.
    • Longevity, overall performance and talent on the field with the U.S. Men’s or Women’s National Team.
    • Impact on the legacy of the U.S. Men’s or Women’s National Team program
    - See more at: http://www.ussoccer.com/centennial/centennial-home/best-xi/mnt.aspx#sthash.OUeJPEZB.dpuf

So while I think DMB got short shrift from the panel, I don't believe, for this exercise, I'm supposed to base that on his accomplishments at PSV. I'm OK with the final XI, just because LB is such a problem. But I think they came up with a very reasonable line-up. (Using the criteria above, btw, IMO Mathis is a stronger choice than Altidore. Of course that may very well change by July.)

3. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    If we were about to go play a world cup match, then Dooley, Bradley or both would be the first players picked. These guys are not that flashy, but their teams win.

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to say, Gonsalves, who got his team to the SFs? Or Donovan? Or McBride? Or Friedel? Or even Patunaude? I can point to those guys willing us to wins in WCs and Confed Cups. For Dooley and Bradley, it is a lot harder. The Slovenia game for Bradley, perhaps. I've got no issue with Claudio starting in MF.

5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think it's pretty hard to compare guys like Patunaude and Gonsalves, who played in Nineteen Dickety Whatever, to players in the modern era. Average players now would have been world beating monsters even 30 years ago.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    BRIAN CHING was an option!?!?!?! BRIAN CHING?!?!?! Really?! WTF?! This isn't the Hawaii Best XI

Really says something about our FW history problems that Brian Ching makes our god damn Best XI vote.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    All in all, Ching has the same number of goals as Herc, Agudelo and Buddle combined. In fewer games. So not too shabby.

Most USMNT goals come from midfield anyway.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Brian Ching is a very good striker. A great MLS striker. I'm a fan of Brian Ching.

But a USMNT Best XIer?!?! Not even close. The dude didn't play in a World Cup.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the names but I think I'll always like Keller more than the Friedel.

It would be interesting to have two sweeper together, Dooley and Windischmann.

10. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Everyone forgets about Hugo Perez.

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 CeltTexan, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    --------------------McBRIDE

---------DEMPSEY-----------MATHIS

---O'BRIEN---RAMOS---BRADLEY---DONOVAN

-----BALBOA---BOCANEGRA---POPE

-------------------FRIEDEL

Difficult to leave off STEWART, WYNALDA, HARKES, JONES and DOOLEY but that is my BEST XI that would be best at all aspects of the sport. Specifically outstanding first touch, Tier 1 soccer brains and what each man actually did at a World Cup(s).

World Cup Reporter: "Any regrets after this World Cup Coach Arena?"
    The Bruce: "Yeah...not playing Brian Ching."
    So that's on our greatest coach of all time, and East Coast lifer, recognizing within minutes after the loss to Ghana in '06 the one thing that he did that cost the team/woulda helped us advance from our difficult Group.

soccersubjectively repped this.