MNT All-Time Best XI

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoSix, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dooley played as a 2-way CM for the US at first. Sorber was the DM and Balboa and Lalas the CBs. Dooley was the glue in midfield, the on-field player/coach. Only in his last year or two did he switch to CB, or really more of a sweeper in Sampson's foolish 3-man back line in 1998.

2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweeper?

3. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From SI, just posted are two writers' picks:
    http://soccer.si.com/2013/12/19/our-picks-u-s-mens-national-team-all-time-best-xi/

Brian Strauss:

---------------------Keller--------------------
    Cherundolo----Pope--Balboa---Bocanegra
    Donovan------Reyna---Bradley-----Ramos
    --------------Dempsey---McBride----------

Subs: Hejduk, Lalas, Agoos, Dooley, Caliguiri; Jones, Harkes, Stewart, Beasley; Wynalda, Gaetjens.

Avi Creditor:

---------------------Keller--------------------
    Hejduk--------Pope--Balboa-----Caliguiri
    Donovan------Reyna---Bradley----C.Jones
    --------------Wynalda---McBride----------

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If we are using the Tab Ramos justification (A player ahead of his time) for the selection of certain players, then John Obrien should be on the list.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks...sweeper was what I was trying to think of. I seem to recall that he was quite good in any role he played.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If O'Brien had been healthy and able to play the key field general role he should have for the US in 2006 (his prime age), then he would have had 2 cycles and 2 World Cups and enough caps and impact to belong in an all-time XI. Such a shame.

A 100% in-form and healthy O'Brien, Mathis, and Gibbs would have resulted in a much different story from the 2006 Cup.

7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Wow, Strauss's side would absolutely crush Creditor's.

Mr Martin repped this.
  8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Playing Dempsey at striker instead of the 2nd all time leading goal scorer in USMNT history is fairly absurd. Like benching Mia Hamm or Abby Wambach for Alex Morgan.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    #34 Editor In Chimp, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Um....Clint is the 2nd leading scorer in USMNT history. 2 more goals and one more total point than Wynalda in 5 fewer caps.

So, you're right. Playing Wynalda at striker instead of the 2nd all time leading goal scorer is absurd.

If I had to win one game, and had to choose between Wynalda and Dempsey, I'd choose Dempsey without a second thought. I'd bench McBride before Dempsey.

DiscoWarrior11 and futbal4eva repped this.
  10. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    The argument is academic anyways: US soccer has Dempsey listed as a midfielder, so he is not eligible for voters to select as a forward.

11. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    When Friedel and Keller were competing head-head, it was Friedel who was the starter, so to me it seems questionable to choose Keller over Friedel.

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in Wynalda's prime, he was our best striker by a wide margin. I would not bench Wynalda for Dempsey. I would love to have the option of being able to start the two of them together with Dempsey in the withdrawn attacker role, with McHead coming off the bench in the 75th minute needing a set piece goal.

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    So he was our best striker, yet has 2 fewer goals in 5 more caps than Dempsey?

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all time goals list possibly can be deceiving. I'm not saying they are absolutely deceiving, but just possibly. The talent around Clint has been better for a longer period of time than it was for Wynalda. I am looking more globally at the talent at the striker role, which in my opinion was where Wynalda was the best. Clint just isn't a number 9. I'm not sure what he is, but I believe Wynalda was a better 9.

15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    By that same token, the opposition that Wynalda played against was worse. Look at their goal scoring CVs and let me know who you think has the more impressive resume.

futbal4eva repped this.
  16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken, but again, the question is who is the better 9, and for me, Wynalda was the best 9 we've had. Dempsey belongs in the discussion of the best XI attackers, but not in the discussion of the best 9.

17. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you about giving Friedel the edge. But I understand folks who choose Keller based in part on his longer dedication to the Nats, in addition to his fine performances.

18. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Fair enough; I don't typically get hung up on the "numbers" positioning.

19. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No position has evolved more in the past 30 years than goalkeeper IMO.

If we are talking about a best XI in terms of how they would do in the modern game, you might have to give the slight edge to Brad because of his foot skills, which continue to be incredibly important in the modern game where the keeper often times takes the role of a deep sweeper, freeing up the two center backs to man mark if need be.

Obviously Keller was a fantastic keeper, but his foot skills were his weakest spot.

Foot skills are one of the reasons Rimando has kept his level for so long as a decent but not very outstanding keeper.

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling there will be one player who is unanimously listed on all voting ballots: Landon Donovan. (Really a no-brainer.)

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  21. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'd be shocked if at least one contrarian asshole didn't leave Donovan off.

Berks repped this.
  22. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neuwerld, Mr Martin and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Its hard to quibble with that. Maybe replace Reyna with Bradley. But only because I couldn't stand Reyna.

24. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley was both a harder and easier omission than O'Brien.

Harder because I think Bradley is easily one of the best quality players ever to pull on a US shirt.
    Easier than O'Brien because at his peak, I'm not sure anybody had O'Brien's creativity and control (my opinion), and Ramos and Reyna served more similar roles to Bradley and had longer, more crucial tenures with the national team.

Although in a few years time, I'm pretty confident Bradley will surpass all three on that chart.

DiscoWarrior11 and cpwilson80 repped this.
  25. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - I think he and Altidore have the opportunity to claim "best ever" at their positions.

How much would you guys pay to see the individual ballots? I'd chip-in 5 bucks to the fund.