MN Thunder Sign Chris Parra

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by prk166, Feb 16, 2003.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I like this time of year in the a-league with all the new contracts being signed. I'm glad to see the Thunder try to beef up their defense and midfield.

-----------

BLAINE, Minn. (Monday, February 10, 2003) – The Minnesota Thunder announced today the signing of defender/midfielder Carlos Parra, a former member of the U.S. under-23 National Team, and a four-year veteran of Major League Soccer.

Parra, 26, began the 2001 season with Rochester (A-league), but was involved in a crazy three-team trade that almost sent him to Minnesota, but was re-routed to Atlanta shortly after leaving Rochester by car.

“We literally had to call Carlos before he made it to I-80 and tell him that he needed to keep going south and head to Atlanta,” said Thunder General Manager Jim Froslid.

The Thunder ultimately received Steve Armas from Atlanta.

“It seems funny to sign with the Thunder,” Parra said. “Maybe it was just meant to be, ending up in Minnesota. Two seasons ago I was on the verge of heading there but it wasn’t the right situation. Now I will have the opportunity to again play with Torres and Eyre, who were teammates with me in New England (of Major League Soccer).

Parra, a West Haven, Connecticut native, played in 26 games last season with Atlanta, scoring four goals, two assists, in 2277 minutes played.

He brings experience to the Thunder, having been a former member of the U-18, U-20, and U-23 U.S. National Teams. He helped the 2000 Olympic team qualify for the Sydney, but was one of the last players cut for the final Olympic squad.

Parra became the first Project-40 player to sign a MLS contract when he joined the NY/NJ MetroStars in 1997. Carlos spent four seasons in MLS playing with NY/NJ, Miami, and New England before joining Rochester in 2001.

The 6-0, 175-pounder will help lead the central defense for the Thunder. He currently resides in Tampa with wife Elizabeth and dog Pete.

“I very excited to come to Minnesota,” Parra said. “I have a good relationship general manager Jim Froslid, and I look forward to helping bring a championship to Minnesota.”

2. rhinohool

rhinohool New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Rochester
    i cant believe we let go of Carlos, but heck, its been well worth it so far with the production of Stoian Mladenov who we received in that 3 way deal.... i'm suprised Minnesota got rid of him

3. propes

propes New Member

Jun 22, 1999
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Easy, his girlfriend was in Rochester, so he decided to pout and play like crap.

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I think SM just needed a change of pace. Plus, didn't he pick up a bigger salary at Rochester?