MLS Week 9 Continuous PBP [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, May 1, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My feeling as well. A red isn't unjustified but a yellow would have been better considering the foul and what had just happened with Hernandez.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacobson gets taken down in the box.

Of course, Geiger doesn't call the penalty. Mind you, I have no idea if it merited a penalty, but the way that piece of shit refereed this game, I'm going to assume that it was yet another screwjob.

3. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    He still shouldn't be leading a challenge like that though.

4. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, this isn't one of those Dallas would likely want to challenge or would win, either. Geiger over-did it, but there's enough pieces to a bad foul there that you can understand Geiger over-doing it.

It's a shame too, because not only did it ruin this as a contest, but it also made Geiger decide he wasn't going to affect the game at all in the 2nd half, as ElJefe pointed out with the potential penalty at the end there.

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody's cranky...

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He apparently didn't want to inconvenience the Rapids too badly in the 1st half either, given how he swallowed his whistle when Pickens put his forearm in Jackson's head.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to describe that one for the MLS-Live impaired?

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I'd be a little less cranky if I thought that Geiger was calling it both ways.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only because then our entire starting XI would be on the DL. :) The Sounders have only had Rosales for 4 of their 8 games. Fernandez missed 4 so far. Ianni and Hurtado has missed 2 games. Johansson has only played in 3 games. Johnson missed almost all of the preseason and missed the first few games getting back to match fitness. Our starting GK is out for the next 2-3 weeks. At one point this season the Sounders had 11 or 12 players on the injury report with multi-week injuries. The Sounders haven't had the same starting XI twice this season and it isn't likely for atleast the next two games and, yet, they currently have the best PPG in the league. :)

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice mention for the Red Bulls on the Devils/Flyers game, as the Devils' Ilya Kovalchuk headed the puck on an attempted pass, would have worked except it was offside.​

11. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What a terrible game after the sendings off. Hernandez deserved his red, he ran his mouth when he shouldn't have and then made a silly late challenge, almost like he forgot he was carrying a red (or more likely daring the referee to show him a second yellow).

The Perez one was harsh, Perez was playing the ball, and it was Moor who went in super akwardly with his head first, putting himself in danger.

How Mullan didn't get a yellow for dissent is amazing, he ran his mouth at the lines judge for a good 10 minutes solid after they didn't call a foul on benitez, I was half waiting for some good old Mullan vigilante justice.

Cascio is good, but he was really lucky not to get a second yellow card it looked like on a couple of challenges.

Dallas held out pretty well and actually looked half way dangerous on a couple of occasions, the Rapids were lucky that their falling asleep and not being able to defender very well 1 vs 4 didn't bite them in the ass, especially on a few set pieces.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defending set pieces have become our weakness this year. Hopefully there's some time spent on them during the 10-day break.

13. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ... at least Tigres is in semifinals....

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  14. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids were great when ever you play 11 against 9.:geek:

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly that is what Hernandez said to draw the yellow. Right after Loyd was speared and no call was made. It was OK for Mullan to yell F bombs at the refs the rest of the game with no dissent card though.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cards fro dissent in this league befuddle me. Actually, cards for dissent in general.

17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Unless one has Dish network, that series won't be on tv up here. :( I suppose I could look for a stream, but those are real hit or miss with the quality.

18. mutant42

mutant42 Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Oakford, Pa.
    I follow coaching perhaps more than individual players and my view of Montreal is that the team is well-prepared. I like watching a team that always seems to have the right player at the spot where his skill set is needed. Fun to watch.