MLS vs. NASL (vs. USL Pro)/ NYCFC vs. Cosmos (vs. Red Bulls)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Gaboo, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... And is a member of FIFA since 1914.... Never say never.

2. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    It'd be easier to desanction the USSF than for the USSF to desanction MLS.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said, get FIFA involved then be ready to change the schedule to Fall to Spring, fucking Blater has a hard on for the "International Schedule", NASL may be more desperate and accommodate that shit, I would hope both leagues would tell FIFA to fuck off if that is their demand.

To me changing the schedule is too high of a price to pay, regardless of the league.

owian repped this.
  4. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I'm more inclined to think that the last thing the Don would want is a World Cup in the US within the next 8 years. We lost to a tiny country in the desert where they'll have to air-condition the stadiums just to make it playable.

That doesn't happen by accident. I think this went according to plan.

5. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Why is the schedule so important to you?

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because a long winter breaks (like in Denmark, Russia, Ukraine) is fucking stupid IMO.

7. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    But most teams don't play much in the winter anyway. Still confused.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not surprised about that.

9. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Obviously clarification is beneath you? I still don't get why a longer winter break would be problematic.

10. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He already said it. Taking long breaks in a season is stupid and I agree with him. Why would you play in the winter and have to take a 3 month break because of weather? We can just as easily play in the summer and not have to worry about such breaks.

11. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    So the problem isn't the winter break, but the summer one? I just want to clarify what the real problem is. After all, no league plays in the winter here anyway except indoor leagues.

Is this about conflicting with other outdoor sports?

12. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what summer break? I didn't say anything about a summer break? Lol.

Umm NFL, so if you want to go up against those guys have fun with that. Lol. You can also count college football as well since this county is a big into college sports.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College Football and the NFL do not play in the winter?

If we go by World Population, almost half the world plays the same schedule as MLS (FEB-MAR to NOV-DEC).

Thanks to China :p

The problem is that there would be 2 long breaks, one during the summer and one during the winter, with the winter break being longer than the summer break.

Just personal opinion, that is very stupid.

14. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Then these two sentences are unclear. "Why would you play in the winter and have to take a 3 month break because of weather? We can just as easily play in the summer and not have to worry about such breaks."

Oh. So it's about competition with the NFL.

15. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I don't acknowledge their existence. :)

16. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    It would seem then, that the folks who run the NFL would stand the most to lose from their business interests. As we know, some NFL owners are MLS owners, and the moneymakers currently are the NFL teams.

My, my, my. I wonder why that schedule is so distasteful.

17. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you said you're not paranoid!

What is distasteful about the schedule? What is wrong with playing from March to November? How is that inherently worse than playing from August to May?

I follow a league (Poland) that has a 3 month long winter break. Our "off-season" break is shorter than the winter break. That makes no sense to me. I do not see the point in having a mid-season break be longer than the end of season break.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  18. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It doesn't matter who the owners are. It's common sense. When would you rather play? Through the summer, playing night games in places like LA and Dallas to avoid the heat, and where your only major league competition is baseball? Or through the winter, where you know there will be multiple games having to be postponed and rescheduled due to the harsh conditions we see every year in places like Chicago, Toronto, and the entire northeast, while you're competing for attention against the NFL, NBA, and NHL?

Another thing, not just to you but to everyone. Stop going down the road of MLS anti-soccer conspiracy theories. It discredits everything you say. We get it. Some of you hate MLS. Some of you despise its format and business structure. Some of you think the NASL does everything right, and MLS does everything wrong. Fine. But bring some facts and common sense to your arguments. And when confronted by facts that may disprove what you believe, accept it, rather than continue to be blissfully ignorant of reality. If one of your ideas gets blown to pieces by some actual truth, don't bring it up again 2 weeks later just to have the same argument again. Reading a thread like "This is what I think is wrong" is like being stuck on Groundhog Day.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that guy is an idiot.

21. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    For fun, I choose (b).

Now what.

I don't automatically equate "MLS" with "soccer", so that's silly.

Besides, this is the thread for the "conspiracy theories".

I don't believe either statement. I'm just not some toady for whatever I read on MLSsoccer.com. The fact that I disagree on some issues and it becomes and "MLS anti-soccer conspiracy theory" tells me that I'm not the propagandized one here.

Can you please demonstrate where I have done so, thanks. I'd really like an issue in which I've done this. I don't think you have one.

Just one idea.

22. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NodineHill For the sake of everyone on here, please grow up. If you can't do that then please leave the site.

23. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    On cue.

24. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I love the comments at minute 55, because it sounds like certain folks here:

"Every time we put up a Cosmos story on SBI, it gets like 100 comments! Like more comments than MLS stories, right? And what gets me is that a good number of the comments are people saying "No one cares". And you know what? You're an example of someone who does care. You hate it, but you do care. You can have a problem with it, you can have an issue with it, you still care. It's striking a nerve, whether positive or negative."

He then goes onto describe Cosmos fans in Cascadia.

Some folks just can't deal.

25. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know if this is a correct interpretation. Respect the internacional schedule is respect the "FIFA International Match Calendar", not necessarily adopt the european calendar.