MLS vs. NASL (vs. USL Pro)/ NYCFC vs. Cosmos (vs. Red Bulls)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Gaboo, Jun 5, 2013.

1. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Because if the Glazers bought into the NASL, the NFL owners who own in MLS would see it as a threat.

2. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Again, I've never been on an MLS forum in Big Soccer. I've been here a month. I came to the NASL forum (I try to keep MLS a distant memory, but it keeps finding its way into my life) and there was already a lot of Cosmos and NASL distaste. Some of it came from MLS fans. I'm not attacking anyone, but I don't have to believe in hordes of MLS fans in bars slagging on us to believe that there are a number of MLS fans who would prefer that NASL was a subsidiary of MLS ("MLS-2") and that the Cosmos either (a) didn't exist or (b) were just an MLS franchise. And if you disagree, you get smacked.

I live in Yonkers and was raised in Brooklyn. I grew up looking at institutions that are almost 400 years old (you get real perspective when you visit Moscow).

History and tradition mean something to a lot of people, and New York has a lot of rich tradition. The Cosmos are a part of the fabric of that tradition. There's simply no way to get around that or invent it.

They had nothing on the first Open Cup Champions-- Yonkers F.C. ;)

3. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I love that picture. It's like they're bringing back the three stooges (Shemp Era) and the movie's name is "The Three Stooges Buy a Football Team".

Cyclonis and WhiteStar Warriors repped this.
  4. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it all the time. It's not MLS specific, but mainly about using the word "football" to describe association football. They were whining about it on the American Soccer Spectacular podcast recently.

BTW, I wasn't dissing the Cosmos. They're also a big part of American soccer history, obviously.

As much as this whole MLS vs NASL thing is getting people worked up and sparking so much debate, it's actually a positive sign from my perspective. It just shows how much interest there is in American soccer right now. It's a great time to be a fan and watch all this unfold...

Unak78 repped this.
  5. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012

no it isn't. Minor leagues in other American sports are true minor leagues. They never have meaningful competition with leagues above them. Soccer is different. We cup competitions where lower division clubs play against MLS clubs.

eclipse02 repped this.
  6. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy New Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except when the conflict might literally destroy your team before it even has a chance...

7. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Don't worry Grundy. I was at that big meeting with Pele there and let me tell you. Save for a disaster beyond New York's control, there ain't nothing that's going to destroy the COSMOS this time.

8. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Start a competing podcast. Anyone so ignorant as to not know (a) the meaning of the term "soccer" or (b) not to know that throughout the early history of soccer here "football" usually meant soccer-- doesn't deserve a podcast with listeners. I've never heard of the A.S.S. podcast. Who runs it?

P.S. I guess all those Mexicans and other Hispanics in the US who, when you say football, usually think of soccer first because of what it's called in Spanish (futbol) are not just saying what they're used to all their life, are really just "Euro-poseurs".

Where is this shill for the NFL, so that he may be mocked?

9. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now you jinxed your team. :p

10. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    That's why I threw in "save for a natural disaster..." I'm clergy, sonny (obviously not of the highest quality); I bless, but I am not allowed to curse.

No testing God on this forum, I don't.

11. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy New Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really uneasy about it. I don't know how much this excitement or interest or whatever will translate into butts in seats come August. And come 2015 when the MLS comes to town. Like it feels great that people all over the world know the Cosmos, but those people don't come to matches. We already lost so many potential fans by not entering the MLS. The casual fans who don't follow every bit of news about this team and league haven't mentally prepared themselves for it. When people see the college logos on the field and we don't have any star players they're going to be disillusioned. I'm concerned as heck you guys.

12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of it this way Cosmos at least have a 2 year head start.

13. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No... the Europoseur (or Eurosnobs) are the hipster douchebags whose favorite teams are Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Juventus. All they do is bitch about the way things are here, and insist that the only proper way to play football is to have a single table and promotion and relegation, even if the economics of the situation do not support said changes.

Oh and on the subject of hating the Cosmos... as a Rowdies fan I've hated the ********ing Cosmos since the late 1970s. Seriously. Y'all can all go ******** yourselves. You and the goddamn Strikers.
    :p

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as attendance goes I'm going to post this everytime it comes up regarding NASL:

Look at the capacity of stadiums and yes it's D1 and yes their number #1 sport is hockey but soccer is #2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_Superliga

15. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Or 40. :)

16. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Don't go crying to Ralph's Mom when we come kick your grass. Just please keep doing the feasibility studies for us. We don't want to fall into a sinkhole. :p

17. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I really wouldn't worry about it. Just promote through your local supporters group. Let your local people know. Sticker, flyer.

The Cosmos will run things if the people know. Google searches help :)

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=NYCFC, Cosmos&cmpt=q#q=NYCFC, Cosmos&date=today 1-m&cmpt=q

18. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh... you mean like the one y'all created that took the NASL down the first time? :sneaky:

19. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Oh, sure blame us for thinking big. Sorry, it's New York. We don't even let Wal-Mart in the boroughs here.

20. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know what you're trying to say here. According to Wikipedia, average attendance last season was 2,116. I don't understand what point you're trying to make about NASL attendance.

21. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy New Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about awareness. People are definitely more aware of the Cosmos. I think they won't be happy with the product/experience and will take their time and money elsewhere when presented with the opportunity. Which here in NY they will.

The MLS and NASL conflict will come to a head in this city.

22. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Pele and Franz Beckenbauer will be at the home opener. I am starting to think awareness may not be so critical since it may just happen anyway.

I wouldn't be worried about the quality of the product. The folks they have in charge are experts at producing a positive experience.

As the commissioner said, all of this will be meaningless after August 3. Then it's up to the Cosmos to prove themselves.

23. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There isn't anyone getting worked up about MLS vs. NASL. Don't confuse the same one or two posters with agendas spamming the thread as any sort of debate. 99% of MLS fans don't even give a thought to the NASL. I was at a Strikers game where a small group of fans thought they were at a MLS game. Once we get beyond our small little niche on BS, we realize that very few care about the things we do. The NASL isn't even on the U.S. soccer radar.

We've seen this movie before and know how it ends. Go back years ago and you'll find A-League vs. MLS threads. Then there were USL1 vs. MLS threads. There is a small segment of soccer fans that fantasize about what a "real" soccer league should be and dislike MLS because it doesn't meet their criteria. Many follow Ted Westerveldt. They'll latch on to anything they perceive as a threat to MLS. Even the three year old NASL which is in no position to challenge MLS. Good luck to those folks when they ever find a real domestic challenger to MLS. Becuase one doesn't exist right now and probably never will without significant capital behind it.

I want the NASL to be the strongest D2 it can be. There is no shame in being a minor league. I want it to be a partner with MLS in producing players. But if they want to foolishly challenge MLS, than it is their funeral. We know the ending. When two people with forks fight over crumbs on a table, they only end up stabbing their hands. And MLS has the much bigger fork.

Unak78, blacksun and CCSUltra repped this.
  24. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can get from my house (North Park Neighborhood East of Downtown) to the stadium in TJ about 45 minutes. The issue is coming back North the border line can be up to four hours on a weekend afternoon. But I have been to some midweek matches and line has only been about 30 minutes.

As for the safety issue TJ still has a bad reputation from when it had one of the highest murder rates in the world, and Police Chiefs being mowed down in the streets. But the last few years there has been a pretty substantial crackdown and statistically is much safer and feels safer as well. But perception is always behind reality so a lot of San Diegans are still wary. Having said all that the Xolos are becoming San Diego's ad hoc team even if you just measure by stickers on cars.

25. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Sigh. I stopped taking you seriously when you said "minor league". It shows you don't understand how divisions work in soccer and that your position is our dysfunctional status quo should be the norm. NASL is not--nor should be-- MLS' farm league. They just aren't interested. And no, I am not interested in NASL competing with MLS. I simply ignore MLS. As a New Yorker, I simply have no need to watch MLS anymore. So I won't.

Further, I've already stated why I don't like MLS and why I do like the NASL. Some of the concerns intersect. Some don't. And I am sorry, but once again I must remind you that my arguments with MLS fans on NASL threads led to this very same forum being revived. We were both involved in some of them. (Which is ironic, because you're a Strikers fan). If 99% of MLS fans don't care, great! I'd say 99% of NASL fans (a smaller group, yes, but nothing to sneeze at) don't really care either.

We have the Open Cup. We have a stable and growing league. We have good play, a decent price point and a nice season format. If people want to challenge MLS, I am not against it. Personally, I think the best way to challenge MLS is to ignore it and carry on. A whole lot of America can still get interested in good soccer. I'm sick of the niche.

You may have a problem with Ted Westervelt. That's not my issue. He has legitimate points, even though I don't always agree with confrontation as a successful method. And the fact remains pro/rel is now being publicly discussed within the circles of all the divisions of American soccer at the top levels, something that was unthinkable even three years ago.

WhiteStar Warriors repped this.