MLS vs. NASL (vs. USL Pro)/ NYCFC vs. Cosmos (vs. Red Bulls)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Gaboo, Jun 5, 2013.

1. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
  2. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won them 3 World Cups. He helped bring glory to one of their biggest domestic clubs. Do you really think people in his home country are more interested in his exploits versus the Drillers and Roughnecks and Caribous? Really? You're smarter than that, or should be.

If they're as magical as you seem to believe lately, they'll take the world by storm and won't need your help at all. If they're 1/10th as magical, they'll change the landscape of NASL forever. If they're 1/100th as magical, they'll be a pretty darn good D2 NASL team and do just fine. I really, really don't think anything on BigSoccer will exert any influence on the outcome.

I think you revel in the hostility...you're enjoying being contrarian and fighting with people on the internetz. You certainly appear to be taking pleasure in stirring the hornet's nest with your most recent round of posts.

If this is true - and I have no real reason to believe otherwise - then I think you owe yourself a good hard look to see where people got that impression. Maybe all of us - even those of us with no real dog in the hunt - are brain-dead zombies whose minds have been erased by the nefarious propaganda powers of a failed mid-level NFL executive. Or maybe you've allowed yourself to become a loud-mouthed message board blowhard and bully every bit as obnoxious as any of those you feel criticize you. Give it a thought.

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... which we have, they just aren't connected through the same mechanism as other places. We have a divisional system, of which the MLS is on top as the "major" league.

No amount of pandering against that on your part will make that false.

... the kids in Brazil forgot he played for Santos ? They remember him as a Cosmos player ?

you're going to have to show the math on that one.

Quite the ironic statement coming from someone that spends his entire posts doing nothing but acting as though reality revolves around him and his take on things.

Selective memory ... how nice.

Yeah it really is. I mean WhiteStar doesn't even resort to calling in the clown car like you have.

4. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I consider nearly everything Sepp Blatter says a stupid opinion. That is my default for what comes out of his mouth. (See: Qatar World Cup in the middle of summer, or if you prefer, Qatar World Cup in the middle of almost every world league's domestic season). I find very little evidence he's not simply a windbag idiot, and his "thoughts" on MLS certainly don't change that.

5. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Wow. I was wrong on a number of fronts.

1) Bracalello in fact plays for Minn United. I confused the name for Jeff Atinella, who is in fact with the Strikers on loan.
    2) Shriver plays for the Railhawks. (Played for Strikers in 2011)
    3) Johnson did play for the Strikers this spring, but much to my dismay is now playing for... the Cosmos.

6. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you take my point, then...stop fighting people who you think are wrong on the internet and reveling in "glory days" you weren't around for (which by the way killed D1 soccer in the US for 15 years) and go support the league you purport to care about.

7. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woah, history nerd alert.

8. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Ok, forget the rest of this stupid post. I've said this about TEN times, and I am pretty sick of saying it.

There is no such thing as a "major league" throughout the world in soccer. I am sure you all know that. You bring up other sports, and I don't #($*$# care about other sports. You say USSF considers it the major league. I've asked for a DOCUMENTED USSF definition of it, and I've got nothing.

You expect me to take on faith it's "the major league", and that's utter bullsh*t you're trying to shove down my throat by repeating it like a mantra.

I don't. And I am not going to. And maybe that's why we're not getting anywhere.

9. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    That's not a point.

Most MLS fans couldn't do that exercise either. I did it for the sake of trivia. I did go "oh yeah" a lot when I looked at the team roster.

I haven't been reveling in glory days, but the Cosmos have a rich history. People coming to the team note that. But you don't, they're a bunch of liars and I'm a deluded fanboy.

10. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you stuck on the meaning of "major league" in the context of American sports?

By any reasonable definition, MLS is the major league of American soccer.

11. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Considering most people here consider me a windbag idiot, respecting Blatter would make sense, no?

12. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I will say about Pele's legend is when I think of Pele, I think of him in Brazil's #10 jersey. I really wonder how much the Cosmos are paying Pele for his ambassador role for the Cosmos right now. Seeing as the guy wouldn't appear on the documentary without being paid $150,000. Given Pele's spotty financials after he retired, he'd probably say that DC United was what the world remembered him as if he got paid enough. The guy isn't showing love to the Cosmos, the guy is getting paid.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2006-07-05-cosmos-documentary_x.htm

CCSUltra repped this.
  13. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that it's only not working for you.

And saying that you had no idea who David Beckham was until 2008 makes people think you're an idiot.

14. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just trying to figure out the over/under chronology-wise on this whole resurrecting-clubs-with-the-same-essence thing...

15. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    So he asked for money. Considering he can't play anymore I imagine that's pretty fair. Here's a bunch of people time forgot who charge more than Pele did for an appearance.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/celebrity-public-appearance-fees-2012-11?op=1

And I am sorry. But I believe he was being honest, and felt comfortable and around friends. You don't have to believe that. But I do.

16. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, you're just being silly. And you're defending Sepp Blather. Really not impressed - you're going downhill fast.

17. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't say that he loves the Cosmos because the dude would've done it for free like others did, including Beckenbauer. Pele's loyalty to the Cosmos is as big as their checkbook.

18. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I think Pele was an ambassador to the sport and raised its profile here, and the vehicle for that was the Cosmos. If you really think that is meaningless, I won't argue the point.

I don't believe that....

The most recent round of posts is ticking me off.

No.

I have been considered obnoxious since I came here. Less than a week after being here, lots of people asked to have me thrown off. (Strangely, those people bother me less.) And yes, the "I know I am, but what are you, if not me" argument came up before.

The folks I'm arguing against have a definite ideological slant, and I don't have much of an argument to deal with. We can deal with facts. If you wish to call me a jerk and other names, fine. If you can address me without having to assail my personality, that's even better. I'm very good at answering questions that don't end in "you creep".

19. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I am absolutely not entertaining a circular discussion.

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Division 1, Premiership, Major League ... whatever, it's the designation given to the top tier of soccer in whatever respective country you're talking about.

"Major League" is what is used here in this country.

Of course you don't because the way that the US categorizes and designates its sports fallows suit across all sports, to include soccer. This flies right in the face of what you're trying to say isn't an actual thing. So of course you don't care about it. It doesn't suit your small mind viewpoint.

Two things here:

1 - you're asked for proof/the math/evidence all the time and you produce jack shit each time, so get off the high horse son.

2 - The USSF sanctions the MLS as the D1 league for soccer in this country. Guess what American sporting culture calls its D1 and/or top tier sporting leagues ? MAJOR LEAGUE

... who is it again that sanctioned the NASL and gave it the D2 status again ? Hmmmmm ?

But, just to punch you in the throat once more: http://www.ussoccer.com/About/Affiliates/Professional-Soccer.aspx .... take special note of the first league listed there, and the very first sentence describing that league, and then take notice of what website that's from.

... but I'm sure you'll post a screen cap of how the link isn't working for you. So on second though, I'll highlight the important things for you.

That is a link to the USSF (USSoccer) website, specifically to the affiliate member page with professional standing. The MLS is listed first and the first sentence describing it is as follows: Launched on April 6, 1996, Major League Soccer is the U.S. Soccer-sanctioned Division I outdoor professional soccer league in the United States.

Or you know ... MAJOR LEAGUE

Erm, please don't ever confuse me with your retarded self ever again.

No, you go nowhere because you're a deluded twit.

21. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    As I am sure it was to a large degree the first time! The others in the movie were uncompensated? You can't be serious.

22. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so MLS has the top 10 attendance in soccer leagues in world.....right

BUT.....the quality is around 20-25th ranked leagues....that's the problem.

23. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Let's cut this post to its meaning!

Division I does not mean "Major League"; there are no majors and minors, no farm leagues, they are divisions. You can say "MAJOR LEAGUE IS DIVISION I" and talk about defecations and the rest, but it doesn't matter.

You're still wrong.

24. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckenbauer specifically wasn't

25. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Yes. WSW is back. I can go buy a soda before my alert box fills up with insults again.