MLS vs. NASL (vs. USL Pro)/ NYCFC vs. Cosmos (vs. Red Bulls)

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Gaboo, Jun 5, 2013.

1. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Exactly the opposite. The Committee can take as long as it wants.

2. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

It ain't 2011 anymore. There's a reason why the New Cosmos are a separate page. It ain't the old team.

3. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure about that? Ithought I read that it was some kind of project put out by the state and after you made s bid they had 90 to decide

4. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nope. They could take two weeks or two years.

5. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They thought the decision would be timed to the close of the legislative session in late June not because it has to be approved by those bodies but more likely because all the behind the scenes players (electeds and departmental) are available to weigh-in and consult.

It would certainly seem prudent to wait until this club has at least played a game before "banking" on their ability to survive and put 15k people into a stadium for games.

In reality the really prudent move would be to wait until the club has a track record (a season at least?), the league proves viability long term (how long you wait to prove that...who knows?), MLS/NYCFC closes on a stadium deal possibly in Queens (or doesn't within say a year?), before green-lighting this thing.

With the Icelanders moving to Brooklyn the last thing Long Island needs is a 25K seat white elephant.

6. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I don't really see it like this at all, because the property has to be mixed use. The Stadium proposal is meant to act as a complement to the existing racetrack, and so the idea is that the Stadium plans include businesses that are needed to make the track more viable. Obviously Cosmos stadium is not in the "background" but it's a strong enough package to warrant moving on it before the season because of the businesses which will complement both the future stadium and existing entertainment facilities.

The worst move would be to cede this to NYC Fantasy Club. There is just no reason to do that. None.

7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhhmmm ... you're ... you can't be ... you ... wow ...

[qutoe]Really, when does it end?[/quote]

We'd really love to know because you've supplanted WhiteStar in the "mindless drivel" department.

Other than the part where (get this) you're wrong of course. The "major league" distinction in this country is used for the TOP PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE IN A GIVEN SPORT .... which would be the MLS.

Genius.

No, you really don't. These Brazilian players don't give a crap about where Pele went at 35 years old, 4 years after being done with the national team ... to retire and collect a paycheck. No, they don't freaking care one bit.

What they care about is SANTOS and how he ruled Brazilian soccer and the International scene. NOBODY grew up in Brazil hoping to follow his footsteps to the "mighty" Cosmos.

You should shit in one hand and wait on that D1 status in the other ... I'll place money on which one fills first. Do you have any kids ? If so, I feel bad about the debt of stupidity you're leaving he/she/them to pay off.

..... and I just have to stop because wow ...

avid Post reader but somehow missed Beckham on the front of it when he signed ?

.... it just ...

I'm sorry WhiteStar, this guy has you smoked.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might.

Isn't it funny that the rules for the one New York team that hasn't played a game yet are TOTALLY different for the other New York team that hasn't played a game yet?

THIS Arab=bad. THAT Arab=good. ACTUALLY in New York=not good. NOT Actually in New York=good. Bringing over an old guy from Spain=great. Possibly bringing over old or young players from Manchester City=bad.

All a matter of perspective, I guess.

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see your point but I think NY fans look at it this way: NJ Redbull/Redbull Salzburg and NYCFC/MCFC

Cosmos/ arab owner that doesn't own other teams.

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it is, I don't think we're ever going to convince someone who already thinks that NASL teams are superior to "70% of MLS" on the field...

Cactus Hibs and CCSUltra repped this.
  12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially one who had never heard of David Beckham or MLS until 2008.

13. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pele! No doubt he's an eternal legend in Brazil: the hero of three World Cups, the man who made Santos immortal...and the guy who played for some team in the US for three years at the end of his career, four years after he retired from international football. Color me skeptical that the Cosmos share any of his legend in Brazil. But I'm sure in your version of reality, the Meadowlands lives in the dreams and hearts of every kid in the favelas...

You just get increasingly harder to have a lucid conversation with...the fantasy gets bigger and bigger, the degree to which the World Famous Cosmos tower over anything any other league or club in the US has ever done or tried to do gets more and more divorced from reality. And now you've tossed a little nastiness and mean-spiritedness in to boot.

This will no doubt shock you and I have no illusions you'll be open-minded about it, but there are very few MLS fans here wishing defeat and dissolution on NASL. Most of us want the US pyramid to succeed at all levels, from D1 to D4 or below. But in your world being comfortable with the fact that the USSF/FIFA-certified D1 is the US D1 and the USSF-certified D2 is D2 makes someone a MLS thrall who hates and fears NASL and everything they stand for. Get a grip. Your hatred of MLS overshadows any actual interest you have in the real, here-and-now NASL or any of its teams (quick, name three Ft. Lauderdale Strikers without the internet), including the actual, present-day Cosmos. Your nostalgia for a team that dissolved 28 years ago is all that matters and it's left you increasingly mired in some sort of mean-spirited Studio 54 fantasy land. At least prior to your recent hiatus you were occasionally entertaining to read...now you're a snarky curmudgeon as bad as any of those you accuse of being mean to you, and an endless troll to boot...

14. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I name my NASCAR team the Greens, will they riot to overthrow the President?

15. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! An interview with a couple of drunk Cosmos fans and Erik Stover is proof positive NYCFC is going to have trouble starting up. woosh.

Allow me to level the playing field here and leave this link:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/0...versation-with-ferran-soriano.html?ref=soccer

It's a video interview in the New York Times with Ferran Soriano and Randy Levine on how successful this venture will be. Oh, and just as an unimportant side note, it's an interview that's been front and center on the Times soccer page for 2 months now. The last time I saw anything regarding the Cosmos in the Times was that 40 word blurb they took off the AP wire when they signed Senna. How long ago was that again?

16. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think that's true at all. Most NASL fans want their teams to succeed and do well, and want to see their league grow increasingly stable and expand wherever there are markets and ownership groups ready to welcome it. "Competing" with MLS doesn't enter into it, any more than it does for fans of AAA baseball. People who go out to watch the Durham Bulls or Albuquerque Isotopes don't do it because they hate the Yankees and want to watch them fail. That simply doesn't enter into it.

Read the posts on the NASL threads here - the posts from real fans, before they got hijacked by Whitestar Warriors and now Nodine - and you'll mostly see people interested in seeing their club remain stable, draw bigger crowds, sign quality players, and defeat other NASL clubs, with maybe a good Open Cup run and an upset against an MLS team thrown in for good measure. A slightly smaller group of posts come from fans excited that their NASL club might one day move up to MLS, the way four clubs have so successfully (and excitingly) to date.

Just because a handful - a literal handful - of increasingly detached fantasists choose to see D1 and D2 football in the US as a Manichean struggle between Good and Evil and then choose to share it ad nauseum with anyone else reading these boards has little or no bearing on the way most NASL fans actually feel out in the real world.

Jewelz510 repped this.
  17. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks have repeatedly posted the hard numbers demonstrating that the success rate of NASL/USL clubs against MLS opposition has been at about the level it is now for at least a decade. More magical thinking - you really are in Cloud Cuckoo Land now.

18. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One might gently suggest that Sepp Blatter has been known to make a stupid remark or two. He's not regarded as a buffoon in every football-playing country for nothing.

revsrock repped this.
  19. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just being stupid now. At least your pre-hiatus posts had some substance to them.

20. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Fine. I give up. You believe what you want on the matter, and I will believe what I want. I heard Pele say that to this day, all people remember with him are the Cosmos-- all over the world. You say that's not even possible in Brazil.

Should I believe him, or some guy on the Internets?

I give like I get, but I'll admit my frustration increased after what happened the last round here. This feels like a chore. I spent part of the day here going over my life because of repeated accusations of being a liar. It's tiring. I actually don't like being here. But what you don't realize is that what you and naysayers are doing has an economic effect-- and I feel it's intended-- to reduce and dismiss potential interest in the Cosmos.

In 12 days, whatever we say won't matter. Maybe I'll be disappointed. Maybe not. I still want better, and I still believe in better.

Most of you support the status quo (and that's simply an expansion of the status quo), and I don't. It's a given my views will be treated with hostility. But I don't consider such "benevolence" a plus, because my hope is for change. And some of the higher-ups in, say, USL do want the defeat of the NASL. The truth is most MLS fans didn't even care if we existed until the last two Open Cups.

Would you trust a Consumer Reports on which vehicle to purchase if CR was owned by, say, Ford? Of course not. You'd be skeptical of objectivity.

Simone Bracalello, Brian Shriver, Jamal Johnson. I affirm solemnly I didn't look that up on the Internet, nor do I know if I am right or wrong, but will check when I finish. It's interesting that recently on Twitter, someone came up with a "name 5" players of other teams and it proved difficult-- for MLS fans. It's not typical for most fans of the game to know all the other teams' players names, but I can admit I probably don't know the name of any player on Minn United and I'll have to work on that.

You believe-- alongside others-- with utter certainty that I hate MLS. The truth is that I don't even know what you mean anymore. I follow--and like-- MLS teams. I like a number of MLS players. I have preferences in cup competitions. The only thing I "hate" about MLS is its corporate structure, which at times affects the quality of play. If that's hating MLS, then I guess you are right. I didn't realize thinking Garber's a tool and that the single-entity, capped structure of MLS is bad for the league and the game equals utter hatred. Some MLS fans I talk to know I don't hate them or their teams, et cetera.

I have nothing to prove here, and the truth is if I tried you probably wouldn't believe it anyway. Just adds to the exhaustion in this answer.

I'll skip the name calling. You have perceived correctly, writing here I am a little angrier than in the past. My patience runs out like any other human.

21. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL - is there still a topic? Everything you've posted since your hiatus gave me the impression this was just a flamewar now.

22. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    He's been making that remark for years. You consider it a stupid opinion, not an off-the-cuff gaffe.

23. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    It was a stupid line of argument.

24. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Ok.

The choice of name was quite deliberate. I get it. But it neither defines nor supplants a traditional divisional system.

Again, I'm going by what Pele says rather some guy on the Internet. He did in fact make a joke about the fact that people around the world did forget he played for Santos.

I'm sure he'd appreciate that you remembered, but that doesn't mean reality revolves around you.

I picked it up in the newsstand, never did subscriptions, nor the weekend editions. I missed days too. Was this an all-week event I apparently missed?

This is just getting silly.

25. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Of course there is. It's in the title. For that matter, I tried to shift it back by answering things actually relevant.

And now you want to make it a flamewar about me. I've no space nor time for jokes (unless they're really good) or even long explanations. I end up sitting through mounds of malevolent crap and answering it. Matter of fact, that gives me a great idea.