MLS Ultra Scene

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by groundhopper, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're saying no other supporter group has had a member punch somebody before? Do the actions of 2 people represent hundreds? They kicked them out of the group, what else do they have to do? You cant control everybody in your group, you try the best you can and if they decide to do something dumb that up to them, not the group. I really don't want to see this thread go into this direction.

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    :confused:o_O

This would be a brilliant post if I had ever claimed to be a victim or if I ever condoned nationalist violence ... Would be odd for me to claim those things since I usually never hesitate to attack nationalism.

At least you got the Serie A part right. While I love the scene there I do agree that there is a lot of overlap between ultras and hooliganism in Italy. Not so in every country though ... Northern European scenes tend to have a more clear distinction.

Anyways ... I'm not here to defend all Ultras in all countries. Like most things in life it's not that simple. There's good and bad in everything. I know which Ultras groups in Europe I respect ... there's many but hardly a majority ...

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    It's impossible to have this discussion on BS. A SJ poster makes a perfectly un-inflamatory claim that he thinks his group is maybe the truest representation of Ultra style in MLS. A perfectly reasonable opinion to have. It takes ten minutes for the righteous brigade to come out of the woodwork and call the group "little kids playing dress up" or "fat guys randomly taking their shirts off".

4. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one else came into this thread beating their chests and claiming to be the best and purest. His post offered no actual info to op. He was trying to start some kind of pissing contest and you know it. Stop defending him.

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, every bunch probably has, haven't been too many brag about it, along with all the other fun stuff that many more than just the two people were responsible.

It's been more than two

Probably more than just those two should go

Probably shouldn't be out celebrating how badass you are when you're just a bunch of clowns

Too far down the rabbit hole for that, Magellan.

6. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you're just making stuff up. Nobody celebrated shit. I guess defending their group from collective punishment for the action of 2 people is wrong in your opinion, but I dont think so. Why should the people who didn't even travel to that game be punished? Use some logic and stop labeling the whole group, they are good guys. Go ahead and insult those 2 people, nobody will stop you because they are the ones that deserve it, not innocent people trying to support their team.

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were events that happened before that

8. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    sounds a lot like what the 1906 ultras do as well. no wonder they stood in solidarity with them

Quakesss repped this.
  9. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    please, show me where anything i said was "blatant idiotic chest thumping". i answered his question as reasonable as possible

10. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    now youre making crap up. where in the hell did i say "best and purest"? he asked for a GROUP, so gave him that information.

11. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Op asked 7 questions. They are as follows

1. Who was the first MLS Ultra group?
    2. How many in number then and now?
    3. Who has the best AWAY support and how may travel to away matches?
    4. I believe there is no crowd segregation in the MLS. Is this correct?
    5. Was there an ultra scene prior to the creation of the MLS?
    6. Is there an Ultra scene in other soccer leagues below the MLS?
    7. Which Ultra groups are influenced by Mexico and which Ultra groups are influenced by Europe?

Your post

Clearly fails to answer any of these 7 questions, and worse yet, makes a blanket statement about your group without offering any supporting info. Like op is just going to take your post as fact and print it in his magazine because "well somebody on bigsoccer said 1906 Ultras are the most ultra group, so lets print it. He must be right" Notice what the poster from DC did. He actually answered op's questions, acknowledged somewhat of a bias, but gave actual supporting info that OP can use. Notice how nobody attacked him for it. Now review your post again.

See the difference. That's why your post was laughed off by everyone. It didn't answer op's questions. Even if it did, it didn't actually provide information, so it's of no use to op. The only logical explanation for your purpose behind said post was to start a flame war. Mission accomplished.

RafaLarios and HailtotheKing repped this.
  12. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the group started in 2003, with a handful of people, have ballooned to upward of 300-400 people now.
    The 1906 ultras take a lot of influence from a group in Bucharest. out of all the ultras groups in MLS, 1906 brings tend to travel well to Portland, Seattle, and Los Angeles.

and no, apparently giving the name of a group for the guy asking about ultras groups doesnt logically spell out FLAME WAR. you sure as hell love to rip on the ultras though, so the only one who consistently seeks a flame war is YOU.

13. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. If that was your true intention, then you could have just said, "1906 Ultras is the name of our group in sj" then gone into your first paragraph of this post. That would have been a post nobody would have a problem with. But thats not what you posted. If you cant see why everyone jumped on your post and no one elses, you are blind.

14. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, lets end it at this.

15. carella211

carella211 Member

Apr 6, 2009
    2-0-6!
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Uh, 1906 have only traveled to Seattle in numbers once in 5 years. And of course im talking about more than 2-3 dudes.

16. Oister

Oister Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Mile High
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    A lot of people are mislabeling Ultra with Hooligan. Ultra is someone who shows their ultimate support inside the stadium, weather it be flags, pyro, singing the loudest. Hooligan is someone who shows up looking for a fight. Sometimes Ultras groups are the best at both. Most of the time your willing to your club on the line weather a fight or in stadium support. In the end of the day rep your club in the most passionate form, when you go overboard expect consequences. Most of the time your passion pays off, other times you wake up the next morning asking yourself "what have I done?" MLS is great and the entire world compares us to their domestic league, take it as flattery. The world fears us. We are a diverse multicultural league ready to explode. Don't label yourselves, build off of the negative view from the rest of the soccer world.

17. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    First, if you want good answers, you should get in contact with the various Supporters Groups around the league.
    Second, you need to be very clear on what you are looking for with respect to the "Ultra Scene"

Define "Ultra scene"
    We have Supporter Culture in the US/Canada. We do not typically classify it as "Ultra" although there are similarities. The groups with in MLS and lower divisions vary in how closely they resemble an "Ultra's" group.

The primary groups you will want to look into are those in Chicago, DC and New York in terms of the first Supporters Groups really having a presence within stadiums.

Away Support is hard within MLS due to its large distances, this is a very important fact that often gets overlooked. I think the Emerald City Supporters might send the most numbers to all games combined. Timbers Army has to be close. More groups are doing more traveling though, which is good to see.

There is crowd segregation in MLS. Every team has a designated away supporters section for away GROUPS. individuals can always buy tickets elsewhere and still wear team colors and feel safe. The away sections are typically used for organized groups and individuals who wish to sit in that section with their fellow fans.

I have no clue about prior to the formation of MLS. Nothing at the level you are looking for I suspect. There has been "booster clubs" etc. these aren't what you are looking for though.

There is a "Supporters" Scene in lower divisions. Both NASL, USL Pro, and even lower level teams have their groups.

You can find groups with influences from England, the various parts of Continental Europe, Central and South America. You can find groups with influences from the "student sections" from college sports. Many of the groups are influenced by all of these. I would say no group strictly adheres to one influence. Groups typically take what they like and adapt it, add in their own stuff and while there are strong similarities to other styles it doesn't fit in perfectly anywhere. Groups are developing their own identities in terms of their style of support.

Finally, links...
    This is a thread with pictures and video. This particular one starts in 2012 and is current up to today. There are previous incarnations of this thread that date back much further.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...-photo-thread-v-ix-stictly-moderated.1945002/
    Likely many of these pictures are owned by people, so don't just think you can publish them without proper sourcing etc.

18. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

To add and reiterate Daniel's points from the perspective of a noob who knows little about the historical and global nature of the Ultra movement.

The montreal Ultras pride themselves with being independent from the team, despite this they have developed a reasonably constructive understanding with the FO.

They abstain from, if not outright boycott any club gear, and strongly favor their own group identity. They purposefully do not have any English chants, to distance and distinguish themselves from other MLS SG's.

Their general disdain for most SG's comes from the opinion that they are co opted by/are an extension of, the team and league. This is partly why they have refused to participate in the Independent Supporters Council (http://independentsupporterscouncil.com) and any league wide events.

Other than the above, the group is no different than what I hear about others. No more or less violent, or unruly. no more or less prone to illegal or dishonorable acts, etc.

There are certain subgroups and associated organisations that have a stronger ideological or political position in various ways, but it's to quite a limited extent.

Edit: While the UM02 ultras tend to be reticent to give interviews in an official capacity, I would forward you to http://asupmtl.com. This is an umbrella group of all Montreal supporters whose goal is explicitly to communicate and spread information. They should prove a plentiful resource.

19. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Club:
    Everton FC
    There is no such thing as Ultras in North America.

If you think there is anything comparative you have drank too much.

Best away support in North America is probably either in Seattle or Portland. Portland took almost 2,000 to Seattle last time. It resulted in no fights...which kinds of ruins the ultra narrative. Portland and Seattle have crowd segregation as does every team that goes to San Jose because the "ultras" are dickheads and are probably the only group that would actually start a fight.
    There is no ultra scene in the U.S.
    Good questions. I will sleep well laughing at you..

revsrock repped this.
  20. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll politely (because I'm Canadian) disagree with this statement. It's all a question of definition, and you don't get to define it for other people. There is definitely ultra groups in the league. Speaking primarily from my experience in Montreal and interacting with European groups, there is shared ethos and values. The principal aspects that don't cross over are fighting and politics.

However, the narrative with the word "ultra" in MLS/US has mostly revolved around ONE group in SJ, who, as you've seen in this thread, is really polarizing with some other groups/posters, and who is thus extremely insular/defensive.

So that's gonna be it for me in this thread. Have fun and good luck with your research.

fuzzx repped this.
  21. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I'm not surprised by your response considering you're in Montreal. They're probably the closest thing to ultras in the US, but they're still clowns in comparison.

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultras
    from San Jose

[​IMG]

23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Club:
    Everton FC
    But they take their shirts off...

24. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Ultraman was my favorite show growing up.

song219, Capt.Tsubasa and RafaLarios repped this.
  25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Science Patrol for the win