MLS TV Ratings

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Revolt, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS Debut on NBC Sports 82k

Actually not quite.

Companies care about the commercial ratings, specifically the 18-34 demographic.

Essentially, they look at the number of people aged 18-34 that watched the commercials during a given program. Those numbers aren't the one's people on big soccer post and compare.

The 82K number is useless. No one will ever use that number in industry.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't look at the other thread.

But you don't hear American Idol people saying "Nah, that's farked up, there's no way that many people are watching us." Just doesn't happen.

Which doesn't necessarily mean they'd be more accurate. People believe that a small sample can't possibly be accurate and that a larger sample would be exponentially more accurate. That's not necessarily true.

If you don't believe the ratings are accurate because of methodology (and you wouldn't be alone), they're just as likely to be wrong the other way - it's just as likely there were fewer viewers than they said. They're all estimates and have always been.

I asked for what you were basing that on, and it's obviously "personal disbelief." Which is fine.

Good to know, Anonymous Internet Guy.

3. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're right it would be very hard to reach 450K viewers this contract. Don't forget that NBC will be heavily promoting NBCSN this summer for the Olympics so that they can have more live content. That should benefit both MLS and NHL since it would bring more casual sports fans to the network that probably didn't know existed before hand. The Olympics are always a big ratings winner and NBC would be wise to cross promote their signature leagues during Olympic programming.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Huh? I would do what? What are you talking about? Where do you get this from? Since I am over 40, I find this odd.

6. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    This makes your unreachable expectations even funnier.

Truthfully, I also don't like the numbers, but it actually is an improvement, whether you believe it or not.

7. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    My unreachable expectations?

8. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    These kinds of ratings accompany practically every new channel with an unfamiliar branding. Anyone who is sensible at NBC would have known that at least the first year would not be very good for any programming on the network. They might possibly have been able to market it better, but ultimately, a new channel that is thin on heavy programming isn't going to do well no matter how much you market it.

With that in mind, it should take until the Olympics the see some improvement, and then more improvement probably won't come until next year, where NBC must get new substantial properties, like MLB. All of which will help MLS, which will continue to get marketed as an equal by NBC to its other properties (this is the most important aspect that has to remain).

Until then, anything much higher than what we saw for this match is rather unrealistic.

9. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS went off great, compared to their first NHL coverage. NHL's first game the colors were wrong, and the audio was a minute behind. I was seriously shocked at what was happening, since they moved from ESPN to Versus. And, it took them almost into the second game to get it fixed. It was truly not a good experience.

But, I do enjoy their coverage, and watch the games when they're on. I think they should switch their NHL show - NHL Live- to a different time than the NHL network's own analysis highlight program- NHL tonight- because it just seems like you're going to lose viewers, which they might. NHL network coverage is far better, but, you have to expect that being it is the leagues network.

10. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty terrible numbers. Also a pretty terrible time slot as well. Still, I would have expected at least 6 digit viewers.

Not a good start at all.

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

This won't hurt:

A Portland crowd of 20,438 filled the stands at JELD-WEN Field Monday night despite pouring rain and 40-degree weather for the home team's 3-1 win over Philadelphia. Attending the game that was broadcast on ESPN2 was Jon Miller, President of Programming for NBC Sports, which began its broadcast deal with MLS in Sunday’s 2-1 FC Dallas win over the New York Red Bulls.

Of the scene in Portland on Monday, Miller said:

"I’ll be honest with you, I’ve been in the sports business, I’ve been with NBC for 34 years, and I have never seen anything like this tonight. This has blown me away. I’ve been to NFL playoff games, and World Series game sevens, and this fanbase should be really proud of itself.”

Welcome to the game of soccer Mr. Miller. It is intoxicating, isn't it?

I wouldn't worry too much. This contract replaces the FSC contract and the game compared favorably to those old ratings. This is the starting place. I think NBC will really work for and pull for MLS because they do need a couple of strong team sport properties to drive their new venture. The NHL is their current bread and butter, but they will want to grow that as well.

They do care about the demographic ratings and obviously with a total number of 82,000, those need to be higher as time moves on, but a night like Mr. Miller experienced on a rainy Monday in Portland at least adds to the determination he likely feels to make this work.

Lamar Hunt went to a WC, I believe in England 1966, setting off a lifetime of supporting soccer . . . and losing money on it. ;)

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why do we have a 2nd thread on this?

13. ironhorsewayne

May 3, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Because some numbskull thought he could do it better. Apparently the old headline wasn't flashy enough.

14. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

82,000. Really? that's the saddest thing i've ever hear. Fail.

15. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's almost 7 times more than who watched the MLS on NBC debut, and that's in a TV market with 9 times more people.

16. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop defending it and take a look at the numbers. 82,000 viewers in a country of 316 Million!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's about seven one hundredths of a percent of the country!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the season opener and debut of MLS on NBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's ********ing Sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 82,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 603

18. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009

Bit off topic, but I had to go read the rest of the Jon Miller / Garber interview. Found this interesting.....

You aren’t always in charge of the host broadcast feeds, but to what degree will the soccer broadcasts at the Olympics be similar to or different from your MLS presentation?

Miller: I think you’ll see that the same people who are producing soccer here are going to be producing soccer at the Olympics. Arlo’s going to be our Olympic guy as well.

Going to be many opportunities to plug MLS this summer.

19. C0wb0ysfan

C0wb0ysfan New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

82,000. Really? that's the saddest thing i've ever hear. Fail.

Really? That is the saddest attempt at grammar I have ever seen. Fail.

20. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    I asked my shrink what all those exclamation points meant.

He said it doesn't look good for you.

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unles sthe advertisers for those shows want to sell their wares to people over 50 who may or may not be the most avid hunters and fishers and may spend the most money on those products.

Not everything is a straight line when it comes to ratings and advertising.

22. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have some people you'd be interested in meeting:

23. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure the use of the word "fail" in this context makes you sound cool down at Joseph C. Nimrod Middle School. But it doesn't really impress those of us that like to communicate in complete sentences. :cool:

For those of you bitching about 82,000 viewers. Has it occurred to you that NBCSN paid for the rights to show MLS matches because it is trying to GROW it's audience? Which would suggest the network does not have much of an audience to begin with.....

24. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just some more perspective, the rating is not good but if you put it in perspective not terrible either (especially with the NHL ratings below)

TVSportsratings tweets:

Week of 3/5: NBCS averaged 68k viewers (-20% vs. same week last year). Just below G4, TV Guide Net and Cloo.

NBCS Tue 3/6: MIN/COL NHL at 9p=167k viewers. Poker After Dark at 12a=124k

Quarter to Date: NBCS -24% in average audience vs. same time last year (as Versus), -29% in Men 18-49

NBCS Fri 3/2 at 7p: Sports Biz=6k viewers

25. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've got to imagine people were also starting to track the March Madness brackets.

By the way, I wonder how this compared to the Sunday 1 pm broadcasts in the middle of summer during the early years.