MLS tv ratings

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Twix1138, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Here is all of them, up until October 30th

http://thevoiceoftv.com/nielsen-tv-...nx/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

And of course, as I expected, New York vs Los Angeles does NOT do well in tv ratings. Don't know why MLS executives seem to think so. The semi-final playoff games last weekend had lower viewership than the regular season average. The Houston vs Philadelphia game had more viewers.

I can try to put a positive spin on this, but MLS ratings are pretty dreadful and inconsistent. One match up can get 300K+, and then that same match up later in the year, only gets half of that. Not sure why that is. Every other soccer property is exploding in tv ratings growth, but MLS is the one exception. Just seems a little odd and unexpected. Although part of the blame goes to ESPN for having zero promotion.

Only good part is, MLS ratings are supposedly up 15% this year. But that is 15% above a very small number, so it could be within the margin of error.

2. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I'm no expert, but the first idea to explains this that pops into my head is the observation MLS doesn't exist in a vaccuum. There could be something else on TV people would watch, the kickoff time, the day. It happens with attendance as well. MLS can draw the casual viewer on a good day when theres nothing else particular better other than reruns and no other compelling sport action.

MLS is not yet at a point where any match is must see TV on a consistent basis. But it does matter whether it's on ESPN vs ESPN2. The highest ratings are the ones that where on the flagship and with the biggest markets. But even then NY vs Chi outdid Seattle vs Portland and LA vs Seattle on ESPN. Probably because it had the higher combined population of those matchups despite both teams being having mediocre seasons. I was at that game and it was one of many forgettable 1-1 homes ties I saw this year. Seattle vs Portland was a way way way better game. *shrug*

I think our growth in attendance has inflated our sense of relevance and the tv ratings show how far we need to go.

3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If my calculations and that data are correct, average ratings are as follows:

ESPN: 497,750 (4 games)
    ESPN2: 266,950 (20 games)
    Gala: 72,111 (18 games)
    FSC: 70,621 (29 games)

4. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    still can't understand how the ESPN2 playoff average is less than the ESPN2 regular season average. I almost want to think the ratings system is rigged. The LA vs NY playoff game had lower ratings than any other match-up between these two teams. I'm sure the NFL had some impact, but considering LA has no NFL team, I'm a bit surprised.

5. BHM2

BHM2 Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls-Galaxy game was on during the afternoon sunday. It seems like there is something else on during that time that would hurt MLS tv ratings but I can't quite put my finger on it.

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe some of the potential viewers had no electricity either.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Are you really? The NFL is a juggernaut in this country whether you have a team in your market or not. ESPN runs these games as a place holder because a test pattern just won't cut it anymore. How many people in LA play fantasy football? TV needs to get better but it certainly is a marathon and not a sprint. As a valuable property MLS needs to pull bigger numbers in the summer when there is little else but baseball.

8. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

To be fair though, that average is inflated because of games involving New York, LA and Seattle.

I sorted the ESPN and ESPN 2 ratings high to low:

ESPN

Sun June 26 2:02 ESPN New York 1, Chicago 1 0.4 622
    Tue Mar 15 9:30 ESPN Los Angeles 1, Seattle 0 0.4 604
    Sun July 10 4:00 ESPN Seattle 3, Portland 2 0.3 467
    Sun Oct 16 9:00 ESPN Chivas USA 0, Los Angeles 1 0.2 298

ESPN2

Wed July 27 8:30 ESPN2 2011 MLS All-Star Game 0.5 781

Thu June 23 10:21 ESPN2 New York 2, Seattle 4 0.3 410
    Sat May 14 11:00 ESPN2 Portland 1, Seattle 1 0.2 328
    Sat May 7 11:00 ESPN2 New York 1, Los Angeles 1 0.2 320
    Thu Sep 29 9:00 ESPN2 D.C. United 2, Philadelphia 3 0.2 296
    Mon July 4 10:37 ESPN2 Seattle 0, Los Angeles 0 0.2 289
    Tue Oct 4 7:30 ESPN2 Los Angeles 0, New York 2 0.2 276
    Sun Oct 30 5:08 ESPN2 East Semi Game 1: Houston 2, Philadelphia 1 0.2 256
    Sun Oct 30 3:00 ESPN2 West Semi Game 1: Los Angeles 1, New York 0 0.2 253
    Thu Apr 21 8:00 ESPN2 New York 4, D.C. United 0 0.2 236

Fri Oct 14 10:20 ESPN2 Real Salt Lake 0, Colorado 0 0.2 227

Sat Apr 9 7:00 ESPN2 New York 0, Philadelphia 3 0.2 227
    Thu Apr 14 11:00 ESPN2 Chicago 2, Portland 4 0.2 214
    Sat May 21 10:00 ESPN2 Los Angeles 1, Chivas USA 0 0.1 196
    Thu Jun Sat July 2 10:30 ESPN2 New York 2, San Jose 2 0.1 193
    Thu Aug 18 9:00 ESPN2 D.C. United 1, Chicago 1 0.1 193
    Thu Oct 20 7:30 ESPN2 Philadelphia 0, New York 1 0.1 181
    Thu June 9 10:00 ESPN2 Chicago 0, Sporting K.C. 0 0.1 163
    Sun July 3 9:00 ESPN2 Houston 0, Colorado 0 0.1 156
    Mon July 4 8:30 ESPN2 New England 3, Real Salt Lake 3 0.1 144

Only six regular season games had higher ratings than the two playoff games last weekend, and five of those six games involved Seattle, New York and LA. New York, LA and Seattle also posted the two biggest ratings on ESPN (by far). Yes, there were some disappointments too -- the October 20th game between Philly and NY looks to be one of them, as does the May 21 LA Chivas game, but generally NY, Seattle and LA have turned in some comparatively solid numbers (such as they are).

9. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put this in perspective, the WNBA averaged 270k viewers on espn2 this year

10. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For the all star game, was that a bigger number of viewers than last years MLS Cup Final?

11. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Pretty good jump from the average of about 53K on FSC last year. I'm sure some of that has to be chalked up to better production; the FSC games have been actually watchable this year.

12. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not doubt we see even more Seattle away games spread across NBC and ESPN next year.

I still can't get over the dichotomy of the fact that the WNBA can barely get any fans to attend its games (7800 average this year) and yet the same amount of people watch their games on ESPN2 as MLS games....

By the way, if no one has said it yet,thanks to the OP for posting this info. This is fantastic, complete data. Wish we had one of these complete sets for every season.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever, doesn't matter.

TV ratings are the 4th or 5th thing down the list when networks look at buying sports properties. There are quite a few factors that are more influential.

14. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting, what are the 3-4 above TV Ratings?

15. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? What are those?

16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the difference between "interest in something" and "interest in something to the point of spending real time/money on it" ...

17. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010

Perhaps MLS's high attendance is hurting it's tv viewership ever so slightly. Lets say 300K watched the Seattle game on TV, and 39K actually attended the game in person. Let's also pretend WNBA averaged 300K viewers. For WNBA, it's 300K + 8K (for those in attendance) for a total of 308K. Seattle is 300K plus the 39K in attendance which brings it to a total of 339K.

So MLS's tv viewership would be a good 15-20% higher on average if people simply didn't show up to the games. This says two things, MLS has really good attendance. But it also says it's tv viewership is so small that the attendance actually makes up for 20% of the people nationwide actually watching the game.

Also, the WNBA would completely fall apart if it wasn't for the NBA subsidizing it. The MLS can survive on its own. Even the WPS has a better chance of surviving on it's own. IMO, the WNBA is an artificial product. It has literally been forced down our throats by the NBA. If the NBA didn't do this, the WNBA would cease to exist. Why? Because basketball is not really a popular sport for women. I'm not trying to be sexist, but that is the reality. If MLS was a powerful league with the finances of the NBA, I guarantee that the WMLS would be a lot more successful than the WNBA because more women play soccer.

The good news is, MLS has the potential to get big ratings, and it will.........eventually. The WNBA will never get bigger than it currently is. It averages 270K viewers right now. That's exactly what it will average 10 years from now.

18. DancingKevin

DancingKevin Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what?

19. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I'm curious, does he have the EPL numbers up for ESPN/ESPN2? I didn't see them.

20. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nelison boxes are flawed on every cable box or satilite ... How is a flawed system be so accurate?......I want to know. The data can't be this flowed , something is wrong somewhere.

21. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Oh I can walk you through how it is very flawed - but others may kill me. :) Suffice it to say they don't have enough boxes (statistically insignificant sample set) , nor are the boxes actually given randomly (true sense of random). Plus they do not accuratly account for Over the air, appropriatly report DVR recordings, and they still cannnot do group viewing number. They come to a very specific number simply as an output of their math formula.

22. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They must be using fuzzy logic.

23. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don Garber would happily trade the life of every one of his front office members for the ratings womens college basketball gets, especially come tourney time.

Never confuse the lack of popularity of the WNBA with the pretty decent popularity of womens college hoop.

24. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
    Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
    Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1.) Perceived popularity of the sport (average attendance, survey results) which increases the stature of the network
    2.) Leverage. To force more money out of cable companies
    3.) The property's ability to increase the distribution of the network (people subscribe to cable/ESPN JUST for soccer)
    4.) "Advertiseability" of the property. What kind of ads can be run during the game? Pre-game show viewership

There are other, more important, factors at work here than ratings. The NHL, which draws twice the average viewership of MLS, has 10 times the TV revenue.

The reason? Hockey is perceived as more popular, it gives NBC more leverage when it comes to negations, it increases the distribution of the network, and it's quite easy to advertise during games.