MLS tv rating vs. EPL tv rating on ESPN2

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by pc4th, Aug 27, 2009.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also believe that the friendlies come with it too, not all the ones from this summer, but a bunch of them.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    MLS games also start at other times (such as 11PM EST) and outside of prime (in EST).

Now I'm not going to argue which league(s) have the "better" start time for the US tv audince, but just the geographic width of North America (versus say England or Spain) does add to the variability of MLS match start times (and can/does affect the business of broadcasting MLS and consistently reaching/building an audince).

3. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    There seem to be more tie ins today the with the MLS game tonight (LA/Chivas), which is nice to see.

BTW, I believe this was an ESPN UK broadcast (with SKY Pictures), which gives us a glimpse of their presentation.

4. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    It must be the atmosphere. MLS isn't slow. It's not as skillful, but it's actually fast, high work rate soccer.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always think of it as the difference between fast and frenetic.

6. kane30

kane30 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I total agree as long as these big name sponsors stay with mls then i don't
    see any problems for mls. 300k for a oversee league is not something
    that will impress big name sponsors much. As for EPL, if they were making
    fsc a lot of profit then fsc would be stupid to lease out so many of their games to ESPN and Setanta so i am not buying that statement.
    However mls owners needs to do more with their on field product.
    Let the owners who want to spend more money on players do so.

7. Text Message

Text Message New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    They don't lease out games and they are making a profit for FSC.

8. kane30

kane30 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    yes they do. ESPN have to pay FSC to show games on ESPN in USA.
    show me the real numbers on how much profit FSC receive. If it
    wasn't for MLS FSC main sponsor would still be wallbangers. Now
    they have most of the same sponsors mls have because of MLS
    and not EPL.

1 person likes this.
  9. Text Message

Text Message New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    THEY DO NOT LEASE GAMES TO ESPN. As for whether they make a profit on the EPL there have been numerous reports here that they only moved to nielsen ratings because of the EPL. Please do your research before posting here fanboy.

10. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't MLS stated with this season, that ESPN will have the flexibility to change some of the games. If that is the case, we could see some of the October games being changed to better match-ups to get the maximum rating possible. At this time, i see one or two games in October that should be changed with better match-ups (we have 4 games scheduled in October).

Fri. Oct. 2 Chicago Fire LA Galaxy 11:00 p.m. ESPN2/Deportes
    Wed. Oct. 7 FC Dallas San Jose Earthquakes 10:00 p.m. ESPN2/Deportes
    Wed. Oct. 14 New York Red Bulls Real Salt Lake 10:00 p.m. ESPN2/Deportes
    Thu. Oct. 22 Chivas USA Chicago Fire 8:00 p.m. ESPN2/Deportes

Those those Wednesday games need to be changed, and we need to have better match-ups, to get the momentum leading to the playoffs. This what NFL does with it's flex Schedule in November and December. So what do you guys think? Don't you that makes sense?

11. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    There is a Sunday game that is scheduled between Houston vs LA Galaxy that should get moved to Oct 14th. That game could decide who wins the Western Division (that game is scheduled for Telefutura), Or Columbus vs DC United. I would think it would be stupid for MLS and ESPN not to make those changes.

12. kane30

kane30 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I did my research FSC own all of USA tv rights of EPL games maybe you
    need to do your research. The reasons why they when to nielsen ratings
    is to attrack more sponsors so maybe somebody in FSC upper management think that they may needs to make more Ad money to pay
    their rights fee.

13. Bank Heist

Bank Heist New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They better not move it to the 14th. U2 is in Houston that day. :D

15. kane30

kane30 New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Your link didn't say that Premeir League is the most profitable venture on
    FSC but i will agree thats its there main product.Fox Sports International
    is call FSC in USA so if you want to get techical then fine. Fox Sports International is shown all over the world so if you want to lump all the
    money they make around the world and then says it is made by FSC then that wouldn't be correct. Espn doesn't really wants EPL for usa market or
    else they would make EPL an offer they couldn't refuse. The reason i use the term lease is because Espn doesn't own EPL rigths in USA. Espn is expanding all over europe and EPL is one of their corner stone for this expansion.

16. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, the author believes that many soccer fans that live outside a local MLS markets (Miami, San Diego, Detroit, St. Louis etc...) will follow La Liga and EPL because the high quality soccer now available to anyone who have cable (ESPN2).

17. soccermaul

soccermaul Red Card

May 28, 2009
    On the Bus..
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By next year FSC will be in HD and hopefully DirectKick wil show their content in HD, which might be a wishful thinking. If people out there looking for any sport in HD, soccer is readily available in HD at any cable provider. As far as EPL on ESPN, I think this is still a good turning point for MLS's audience on ESPN, because those who are watching EPL in early hours on Sat and Sun will give MLS game on ESPN a try, some might come back and make MLS match a must see in their sched.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The author presents a hasty generalization. He may end up being right, but there's no real evidence to support his conclusion.

It is equally possible that MLS fans will simply add EPL or La Liga to their DVRs, right along with MLS. It's also possible that the EPL and/or La Liga will simply replace Champions League viewing on ESPN with little or no net impact on MLS.

19. soccermaul

soccermaul Red Card

May 28, 2009
    On the Bus..
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN has been deep into soccer for a while now. They are just getting into it in the UK and expanding their brand in the US.

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So these astute soccer fans somehow never had access to FSC or Gol TV so just now will replace MLS with the other leagues? They are so much more discriminating, but have been sitting around just settling for MLS instead of seeking out the better leagues?

It's so cool nowadays that someone can buy a URL, make a fancy page and equate their feelings with "most Americans." But that doesn't make them right.

22. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I know you all don't want to hear it, but personally, I can see doing this myself.

Thanks to Direct TV, Direct Kick and Setanta, there are probably 25 odd games a weekend now to pick from. The ESPN broadcast isn't new, since an early EPL game was available on Setanta, but the HD broadcast makes it much more enjoyable IMO, and at least so far I'm watching it even though I typically didn't watch the Setanta game. For those of us not in an MLS market, the blogger has a point. It's nice to get an EPL HD broadcast early on Saturday, take in a second EPL game or Bundesliga game after that and get on with the day. With four hours of soccer in the books, I find I tend to be more choosy about watching MLS games later on Saturday. Sunday there's more EPL, the Eredivise, La Liga, the MFL, Brazilian League, Agentina, French League -- again lots to pick from against the MLS TeleFutura broadcast or something on Direct Kick.

Even though they don't compete directly, just in terms of hours to devote to watching soccer I think I'll end up watching more EPL and La Liga now on ESPN and less MLS, especially the Direct Kick offerings. Yes, I could TIVO the games, but personally I find that less enjoyable, especially if I can't get to them for a few days. Besides, I think can get my MLS fix from the ESPN game and one FSC game (if its a good match up) each weekend. I was already leaning towards not renewing Direct Kick next year, but the added ESPN telecasts probably tipped the scales.

23. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I'm someone who never watched the EPL early game, and I am adding that to what I watch usually while still watching my usual dose of MLS. There are all kinds of viewers. The blogger is falling into the trap of projecting his desires, i.e. more EPL and less MLS, onto others and defining them as a certain class of fan. That's no more true than if I said that MLS ratings will definitely go up because more fans will be watching soccer and getting hooked thanks to the EPL.

The reality is that until we have a semblance of data, we can't just assume our personal viewing habits are how other people are treating the two products. Some people may cut back on other matches because the early EPL match is more widely available. Some may not. Neither group is more of a fan as some bloggers and posters will try to imply. We're all snowflakes, unique and individual.