MLS Training Grounds Round-Up

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Scoey, Jun 18, 2013.

1. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Let me be the one to inevitably ask, whats the standard like in the European leagues?

I assume the bigger teams have first class amenities analogous to what I would expect from NFL/NBA/NHL, but what about the lower tiers?

Because its extraneous stuff like this that can often convince certain players to sign.

2. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Arsenal:
    http://player.arsenal.com/player/1042-training-ground-tour

Chelsea:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/chelsea_new_ground_gallery.shtml?12

Liverpool:
    http://www.thisisanfield.com/clubinfo/melwood/

Manchester United:
    http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video...f-manchester-uniteds-training-ground/2toje16g

3. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Here's some information on phase 1 of 3 of the Whitecaps National Training Facility. The first phase completed in February. Phase 2 and 3 will be completed in time for the 2015 Women's World Cup.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will a new training facility be included with the construction of D.C. United's upcoming new stadium or will that be built at a later date ala the New York Red Bulls' training facility?

-G

5. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Robb Heineman tweeted this earlier today. I'm guessing this will double as a new Sporting training center (The Whitecaps have a similar setup with the CSA).

[​IMG]

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    There's zero room for anything but a stadium at the proposed site. So any new training facility would have to be elsewhere.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's worth noting (that phrase has become a crutch for me the past few months), the term sheet did have language for any other team facilities to prioritize DC. Hopefully they can get something nice built where they currently train near the RFK auxiliary fields.

8. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the Union practice at Penn, but in the last few years Penn has opened that Penn Park athletics facility that has a few turf fields and a dome in the winter, so it's theoretically possible, I guess.

From the best I can tell the Union practice at PPL and at Chester Park, a public park in a neighboring town--the Union pay for the field maintenance, but they share the facilities with local club/cup youth teams.
    [​IMG]

In the winter they train at YSC Sports (yscsports.com) at Wayne, which is the biggest/newest youth facility in the area. I think YSC also has some investment in the team, and they have some youth (sub-academy) training arrangements with the club as well.

[​IMG]

Looking at the rest of the thread it's pretty apparent that these don't really measure up. This article says the Union want to build their own facility "within a year," but they also said the same thing in 2012, before their "disagreement" with Chester over paying their taxes.

billf repped this.
  9. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    too add on to what Newtex already posted about the dynamo grounds

Video promo of the Houston Amateur Sports Park
    (training ground of the dynamo)

and video of the Methodist Center of Sports Medicine/CES Performance
    (their facilities)

you can sorta see the dynamo locker room, boot room, weights, and stuff in this one

last time I went, they opened a subway on site too. lol

redinthemorning repped this.
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The upcoming city-owned soccer fields can be seen at about the 1:14 minute mark or so.

-G

Revolt repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy train approximately 100 yards directly west of the StubHub center stadium. Too lazy to find pretty pictures....

12. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't rep @Levy2k6 enough. Guy knows how to find his MLS-related videos.

13. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. sedlie

sedlie Member+

Apr 5, 2011
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  16. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    A bit OT, but I really like that picture with the club logo in the middle circle. Wish that FIFA was so much against this. As long as it only the official club logo and stays within the confines of the circle, I don't know what the big deal is about not allowing it.

fuzzx repped this.
  17. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It probably is drawn to scale. Those domes tend to be standard size.

I imagine they would redraw the lines during winter to create a single field.

But something to keep an eye on for sure.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  19. sedlie

sedlie Member+

Apr 5, 2011
    As drawn, it doesn't even cover up the width of the field. The length is fine. Seems like a waste of usable space to not cover it all.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Orlando City is using Seminole County's Seminole Soccer Complex just north of Orlando. Currently this is no more than a large YSA complex. However, Seminole County has put in $2 million dollars into Orlando City and the club has plans to build a residential academy there. http://www.cityoforlando.net/elected/venues/mls/seminole.htm

fuzzx repped this.
  21. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't characterize a 20 minute walk as "nowhere near"

it's not adjacent, but I wouldn't balk at the walk.

I'm not from Chicago, so I don't know what external factors are involved, but from what I can tell it's reasonably accessible.

FWIW, Google maps says its a 40 minute trip from downtown, with multiple lines providing reasonable routes.

The Impact facility is a 35 minute subway followed by a half hour bus. It's why I've rarely gone.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    People tend not to walk far from the L when they ride it. If it's going to be a 15-minute walk from a station, people will typically take a cab or a bus.

fuzzx repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest photo from the San Jose Earthquakes Training Facility:

[​IMG]

-G