MLS trademarking rivalry Cup names

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by JasonMa, Jan 7, 2013.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waiting to see what they do with them will lead to vacating the copyright based on the 'prior art' claim, if I understand these things correctly. You need to find a lawyer who knows this stuff who is also a member of the supporters groups and willing to do it pro bono because we all know the SGs don't have money to speak of.

2. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe MLS is protecting these terms from other entities...but it seems suspicious coming right after the Subaru fiasco.

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Well, it will be interesting to see what happens. We should have ponied up for the national trademark and avoided this.

I've got a big case of the fudge-its right now. Whatever. In the immediate future, they have devalued the brand of the RMC by taking the rights. They should have negotiated with the SG's. However, SG's are always in flux and you never know if sanity will rule the day. At least there will be "professionals" at MLS/RSL who are paid to oversee it instead of overworked fans doing it on top of all the other stuff they have going on. Really, us SG's are totally dependent on the work of a few great people in the FO's to pull the whole thing off.

As long as they approach it cooperatively, I'm cool. But I think that we are mainly to blame, not MLS and not RSL.

If you're all pissed about it, then stop bitching and fix it. Send a message to Bill Manning and let him know what you think.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. HeBeGB

HeBeGB Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I'm not part of C10, nor do I know what it stands for, but others have said they are pursuing the matter. I also don't think the MLS should take over the rivalries cups like they did the Supporters Shield. They were created by the hard work and money of the supporters groups, and therefore should stay under the care of the supporters groups.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much more is the league doing in stepping in?

I'm really just asking because it doesn't feel like they've done anything other than trademark the names. Is there more to it that I'm missing?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, at least not yet. Its the yet that has me concerned.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I understand that
    But if all they end up doing is trademarking the cup names, is that really that bad of a thing?

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that if the trademark goes uncontested because C10 waits to see if that's all they do, then they do something else, C10 will have lost its opportunity to do anything about it.

BalanceUT and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, how great would it be if MLS gets the trademark and then down the road requires some kind of licensing fee for supporters to make scarves or t-shirts. Like Jason said, it's not having the trademark that is scary. It's what they do with it down the road and since we have no idea, it's better to just not let them have it at all.

Jasonma repped this.
  11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or they could sell the rights to someone, a la the BCS bowls. Instead of the RMC or Subaru RMC, suddenly you could have the Amway RMC, or Kroger RMC. Is that something we really want to leave up to the MLS to decide?

Jasonma repped this.
  12. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to continue discussing it all you want, but yes, we are discussing it amongst ourselves and taking some proactive steps to figure this situation out.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C10 = Committee of Ten. The 10 people in charge of the Cup, 5 RSL supporters, 5 cRapids soccermoms.

henryo, lurpythepirate and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news from C10 this morning:

SoccerPrime, Jester4422, TheBiff and 6 others repped this.
  16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Thanks for the update Jasonma! (I refuse to capitalize the m. dammit!)

JasonMa repped this.