MLS Sized Stadiums -- Personal Favorites

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by triplet1, Nov 26, 2007.

1. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Two people are walking along the street. One of them says "look there's a ten pound note on the ground". The other one says "No there isn't, if there was someone would have picked it up".

2. nas1787

nas1787 New Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Being Canadian myself, I can tell you I don't think Canadians are block headed morons. This is a rather new idea. Forsyth Barr is the first of its kind in the world, to my knowledge, and it just opened in time for last year's Rugby World Cup. Maybe it just needs time to prove itself before others try out the design.

I imagine a stadium such as this costs a fair bit of money, and you're right there may be concerns of heavy snow on that kind of roof. For these reasons, it may not work here.

The new Roughriders stadium looks great. How definite are those plans? Glass roof looks great.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cost to construct a retractable roof makes it financially unfeasible for a MLS sized stadium, given the current and reasonable projection of the popularity of soccer as a spectator sport in the US. Not to mention the difficultly of maintaining grass and the impossibility of cooling the stadium to a reasonable temperature if it were to be closed in the summer. And a dome? Why would anyone even consider that?
    "Similar" isn't the word I would use. Not to mention, those images are conceptual at this point, the final design is still some time away.
    Why bother with the roof when the CFL plays in the Summer?
    I would expect a 10 pound note to be lying on the ground. That's pretty heavy for currency and would probably tear your pocket right off.
    Prove itself for what? Please explain. The city where the stadium is built only receives snow every two-three years and never in any great amounts as opposed to many Canadian cities.
    I am right. This may come as a shock to you, but buildings are built differently, depending on where they are located to account for climate, seismic and other concerns.

Those plans are conceptual. From the article: "The concept design has cost the city $575,000 so far.", so essentially there has been little to no architectural design or engineering to date.

And it's not a glass roof. Glass is too heavy and too fragile to use in the ways show in the conceptual design.

krudmonk repped this.
  4. nas1787

nas1787 New Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Well there have been some concerns over the upkeep needed for the grass surface. It may take some time to find out if the stadium is really successful at maintaining grass indoors.

Thanks for the wisdom. I'm not proposing we take the exact stadium and plop it on the shores of Lake Ontario. Simply the idea of a transparent roof to allow natural grass while also controlling climate. The roof could be pitched or heated to prevent snow accumulation, for example.

Not glass yes, I misspoke. Forsyth Barr used ETFE, which I assume is a plastic of some sort.

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "grass" is already partially synthetic. They have mitigated some of the sun angle issues that plauge stadiums like RedBull with the transparent clerestory, but this town isn't in New Jersey either.

Do you ever look up on roofs and see the snow jacks? Those are to keep ice and snow from falling off until it melts and they are increasingly becoming mandatory as a part of all building codes except for the Gulf Coast states in the US. The pitch required to get snow off before it accumulates is usually a 14/12 pitch or steeper, reminiscent of the architecture found in the Swiss/German/Italian Alps. That dramatically increases not just the height of your building's unusable space, but the cost as well.

As for "heating" the roof, well, that's just silly talk. The cost would be astronomical for both the construction and the energy costs and would contribute to the snow melting, refreezing into large shards of ice that come flying down off the roof during the heating cycle and destroy property and kill people. Good luck insuring the building after you've engineered a potential fatality into the building.

A polymer film which when used in roof structures is either used as a stressed skin between structural members or as a 2 or 3 layer system which has one or two "air layers" that have to be constantly pressurized. It is more typically used in facades than roofs (Allianz Arena) as it has very limited strength for live loads (Snow/Rain) and Dynamic (Wind) loading.

6. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Though the design of the Regina stadium is currently conceptual, the final design will have a partial roof and must be engineered for a retractable roof to be added in the future. I am as skeptical of the flimsy spiderweb-like roof they have going as anyone, but the design group spoke of some "design innovations" they are taking advantage of to make it happen. I'll believe it when I see it, which should be after the conceptual design is approved in late January.

The only reason a full roof was not in the plan from the beginning is cost.

While most CFL stadiums are outdoor, the thinking is that the flexibility of having a year around facility (for bad weather during summer, plus conferences, other sports, concerts, etc in winter) outweighs the limitations. Especially in a smaller town like Regina (provincial capital, biggest city in hundreds of miles, pop=200,000)

Its one part of why BC place added its retractable fabric roof in its recent renovation.

And this week the department behind Montreal's olympic stadium recommended that its original 70's era retractable fabric roof be redesigned and installed. Currently a permanent steel frame supported fabric roof is installed. It is actually heated(hot water pipes are installed just under the outermost roof layer), and all snow on it must be melted as soon as possible. Despite this, the stadium is off limits during the winter months, after a 1999 snowstorm caused a cave in during a boating convention.

7. Kam^

Kam^ Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Clutch City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Liechtenstein
    Wish Houston had a retractable roof stadium. I mean, why not? The other stadiums in Houston does.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money, dummy. Money

9. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Where is Toyota Field located?

10. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Lancaster FC repped this.
  11. tampasteve1

tampasteve1 Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies and Strikers
    Jul 21, 2009
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the coordinates: Link for Map on Google

It is right beside Heroes Stadium in San Antonio, TX. On Google it looks like a dirt field as the satellites have not updated recently.

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

IIRC the pitch can be rolled out underneath one of the "endzones" for concerts. It's a bit big for a team like Arnhem, whose attending support is in the 15K range.

13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, Vitesse managed to inherit some, ahem, foreign infusions of cash. They're looking pretty strong this year on the whole, and success can wrangle up a few more fans.

14. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    [​IMG]

15. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Kadir Has Stadium
    [​IMG]
    UEFA [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Full name​
    Kadir Has Stadyumu
    Location​
    Kayseri, Turkey
    Opened​
    08 March 2009
    Owner​
    Kayseri Metropolitan Municipality
    Surface​
    Grass
    Construction cost​
    [​IMG] 68 million (approx. 28 million)
    Architect​
    Ofiss Mimarca
    Executive suites​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stade Auguste-Delaune (Reims - 22K)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tehlazerviking and JoeCelt repped this.
  18. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    i hope that the new stadiums have safe standing terraces, with rail seats or something and id rather see steep Kop grandstands along the pitch line, with double decks and the up teir being more above the first teir rather than so open, almost like a balcony . As in my head it would feel like the crowd is on top of the pitch and making it feel intimate and intimidating if the crowd is loud. ive wondered how this would look like.

19. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    i love the fold away chairs in the top pick, i dont like the wedges in between the stands i think something different could and should be done, but i love the steep loo i makes the stadium look bigger

20. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I do like the Xolos Estadio Caliente (which is currently being upgraded) in Tijuana. When it's finished, it will look pretty good with tons of suites. It will seat 33,333.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lancaster FC and owian repped this.
  21. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Estádio Raimundo Sampaio

Capacity:23 950
    City:Belo Horizonte
    Clubs:América FC, Clube Atlético Mineiro
    Inauguration:2012
    Construction:22.01.2010 - 04.2012
    Cost:125 mln R$
    Design:Missyor Arquitetos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  22. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Stade Océane

Capacity:25 178
    Business seats:2,713
    City:Le Havre
    Clubs:Le Havre AC
    Inauguration:12.07.2012 (Havre AC - Lille OSC)
    Construction:12.07.2010 - 31.05.2012
    Cost:€101m
    Design:KSS Group, SCAU
    Contractor:Vinci
    Address:Boulevard de Leningrad, Le Havre

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

triplet1 repped this.
  23. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Parkstad Limburg Stadion
    Capacity:19 200
    City:Kerkrade
    Clubs:Roda JC
    Inauguration:2000 (Roda - Zaragoza)
    Address:Ring 1, 6466 NH Kerkrade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you been to Red Bull Arena before?

DynamoEAR repped this.
  25. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe Hypo Group Arena???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will the real Red Bull Arena please stand up?