MLS Single Table through games of 4/16

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sachsen, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's back! I ran this thread throughout the year last season and would like to start it up again, although it being so early in the season, there aren't that many differences yet in number of games played.

For those new to the thread, and to head off any arguments about the thread's premise or intentions, I present the following:

1. This is primarily a comparison tool; no more, no less. I am neither for nor against the idea of MLS eventually going to single table. The idea has both merits and demerits, both of which have been discussed at length ad nauseum elsewhere. This thread is simply a way to compare teams cross-conference to see where they are at a particular point in the season.

2. The idea of ranking the teams based on points per game is based primarily on the fact that throughout the season, certain teams will have played more than others, with the advantage given to those who have more games left to play. This is the "game in hand" idea you hear talked about in England, etc. A team with, for example, 13 points in 10 games is mathematically performing better than a team with 14 points in 12 games. You get the idea.

Just as an example of how this can actually affect real world situations: last season, the MLS all-star game was East vs. West, and they picked the coaches at some point during the first half of the season based on who was in 1st place in each conference. Peter Nowak was picked to coach the East as DC had 20 points, but had played 15 games. Greg Andrulis' Crew, on the other hand, had 18 points but in only 13 games, giving them a pts/gm of 1.38 vs DC's 1.33. For more information, see here: http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_...08&content_id=7581&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp

A minor point, to be sure, but perhaps not to the individuals involved.

3. This is just fun for me, nothing serious. My intent is not to put down any team's accomplishments, nor anything else along those lines. I just like to see how teams are truly comparing against each other throughout MLS on a game-by-game basis.

With that said, the next post will have the first table.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Code:
    Place   Team  Games    Pts     Pts/Gm
    1       DAL	3	7	2.33
    2	CLB	3	6	2.00
    tie	KC	2	4	2.00
    tie	NE	2	4	2.00
    5	LA	2	3	1.50
    6	CHI	3	4	1.33
    tie	DC	3	4	1.33
    tie	RSL	3	4	1.33
    9	MET	2	2	1.00
    10	SJ	3	2	0.67
    11	CHV	3	1	0.33
    tie	COL	3	1	0.33

A couple of quick observations: if anyone is unintelligent enough to take a cursory glance at the current Eastern Conf. standings and think, "Wow, New England is second to last - they must suck," this table shows otherwise. Also, Colorado and Chivas really do suck. :D

And what a turnaround for Dallas! From perennial doormats to top-of-the-table. Congrats, and I'm glad they are in a different conference than my Wizards.

3. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Your right, the MLS.Net table is ridiculous. A team with 4 points from 2 games should not be listed after a team with 4 points from 3 games. NE and KC are being unfairly embarrased for having not lost while DC and Chicago have lost and are listed ahead of them.