MLS Single entity (and all other league structure talk)

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by ceezmad, Oct 4, 2012.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I can shed a little light on that. In essence, every cost incurred by the league to acquire and maintain a players contract is included in the budget. This is why they are careful to call it a budget and not a cap, that is a very deliberate turn of phrase. They have a certain amount of money set aside per team for personnel costs. As to how much that is, my understanding is this is not a "peanut butter" fee spread across the entire roster but rather dependent on the contract because it includes: agent fees, legal fees, visa fees, transfers, ITC admin fees, and probably document fees in addition to the wage. I have no doubt there is a component that is simply "admin" that covers MLS in house legal and document costs.

In addition, the player union takes large guaranteed bonuses and amortizes those over the length of the contract when they report numbers. For example a 100k signing bonus on a 4 year deal will show as 25k increase to the guaranteed compensation line item. MLS salary budget math actually counts it when incurred so that player would hit the budget at 100k more the first year as opposed to the subsequent three.

In regard to loan and transfer fees, it is a little unclear to me how MLS counts this on the budget. They certainly allow amortization of the cost but I do not know if there is some minimum required to spread it over more than one year, if there is a max number of years, nor am I completely sure if it is actually dependent on when the league must disperse the cash (these things are usual done in payments.)

Finally, one more trick: bonus that are not guaranteed (goals scored, etc) are generally not reported by the union BUT ARE counted against the budget. They count similar to other professional leagues (namely NFL) where if it is likely to be achieved it counts current year if it is not likely it MAY count the following year based on the past season performance.

Rule of thumb, if MLS writes a check; it counts whereas the union is only reporting guaranteed money to the player (plus agent I think they added to the report).

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked this before, but not sure in what thread.

Superdraft - Regular college draft

Supplemental draft - Extra college draft (Difference?)

Allocation draft (Same as free agent draft?)

Free agent draft (Second allocation draft?)

MLS Expansion drafts (when expanding)

MLS Re-entry draft (for National team players)

Any other drafts that I am missing?

What do they all mean?

Revolt repped this.
  3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wiki pages do a nice job explaining the differences. Here is the highest level page to start at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MLS_drafts

ceezmad repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 2 more not covered in wiki right, the National team players returning if no team hold their rights.

5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not a draft per say. That is an allocation order. Here is the exact wording. There is also the lottery system MLS uses which is not really a draft either.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HailtotheKing repped this.
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was more of an explanation to Toronto fans on how the MLS budget is different than a Salary CAP.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One question that I do still have is the off budget players, who pays them?

The 2.95 per team butget cover the highest 20 players right?

Then there is the 7-10 million in allocation money.

And all the salary over the minimum is paid by the operators.

So my question still is that on top of the cash calls all operators have to pay MLS, do operators also have to give the league more money depending on the 10 off budget players and the DPs?

Example.

Seattle top 20 players make on average 148K (DPs counted at the max.); then Seattle has 10 more players making 35K. (total 350K) and also they have to pay the 3 DPs (say 2 million for the 3).

Does that mean that when Seattle has to pay their portion of the Cash call they will pay what ever the call is and on top of that they will pay the league 2.35 million to cover the contracts of the off budget and DP players?

Edit: if we assume Seattle gets 300K in allocation money does that mean they only have to pay 2.05 million to the League HQ on top of the regular cash call?

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AIUI the cash call is equal for all the teams. So it doesn't really matter how much off-budget salary you have, you're paying 1/19th of the off-budget salary of the league.

The only exception is DPs, where the team signing the DP is responsible for the whole salary above $350K.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but since the league sign all players, I always assumed that the operator must pay the league and then the league pays the DP.

For example, LA Galaxy must cut a check for what ever millions to MLS to cover the Beckham (well not any more), Donovan and Keane salaries. Then MLS pays the full salaries for the 3 DPs.

I do not think with the Single entity that the DPs would get 2 paychecks 1 from MLS and another from the Galaxy holding company.

So I wonder if it is the same with the off budget players.

But if what you say is true, then there must be a limit on how much you can pay the off budget players.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard there is a limit for off-budget players that aren't GA or HG. I don't know what it is though.

13. Stefan Schuette

Jan 3, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see this system evolving, especially with the statement of MLS wanting to be one of the best leagues in the world by 2022 as per Don Garber's State of the League address.

I think the system is still important today, but there will be a point when the league will outgrow single-entity. As more and more clubs turn profit or become more profitable than they are now, the owners are going to want to stop sharing their earnings.

I would also be disappointed if free agency and club contracts weren't in the league's future. If there was more of a per club salary cap based on revenue (like they're establishing with some of the euro leagues). Although that would make 'parity' (as we know it) a thing of the past, it would increase the competitiveness of the league both on and off the field.

Personally, I feel that evolution will be a necessary step at some point down the road as the league continues to grow.

14. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are non-budget players like, Generation Adidas and home grown players. Adidas pays the GA players and I imagine that there is a separate budget for the homegrowns.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point a lot of those guys make about 32-35K so that budget is probably around 350-500K (Maybe less since some of the 10 will be Addidas players as you pointed out).

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The homegrowns the Union signed make more than the bottom 36.6k roster slots, but they are not part of the budget. I recall salaries of 60k or so. There must be some other budget that they pull those salaries from.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, our 2 guys make around 42K if I remember correctly. (The Addidas guys make much more).

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well one of them was 16 when he signed and had to forgo college, one may have had a competing offer from a Mexican team, and a third came out of college after a year. I do not think it makes sense to sign a homegrown deal unless it's for better dollars you could get by going into the draft with or without a GA deal.

19. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To try to clear some of this up:

1. The league pays all players' salaries, on-budget and off-budget (except DPs). The only thing a team does that it has to pay for is signing a DP.

In other words, a team doesn't think of an "off-budget" player as an extra expense, it thinks of him as a "free" player.

2. For homegrowns, a team can sign up to two homegrowns to Generation Adidas-style off-budget contracts. Again, the team doesn't actually pay anything; these are "free" players paid by MLS who don't count against the salary budget.

It's not entirely clear to me whether this actually is GA money being shifted from underclassmen, or whether this is a new program.

billf repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well not MLS news, but NFL related news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...y-review-nfl-tax-exempt-status-004521453.html

RevsFanDan repped this.
  21. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    owian and RevsFanDan repped this.
  22. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    that our league is mickey mouse.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What's this "our", Cosmos fan? Last time I checked you weren't in the league.

24. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012

our top league

don't respond to me anymore.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll respond to whomever I like, especially when posters are at best distorting what's really happening and at worst are out and out wrong. That's what a forum is for. If you don't want responses go write a blog without comments.

Oobers and RedRover repped this.