MLS Reserves & USL Pro Merger (CLB)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by C-bus, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would really be surprised if the FO had enough forethought to draft picks today for a team we may or may not have this season. Just saying.

2. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    This would give academy players a greater chance of progressing, especially for those who don't/can't go to college for either money or academically can't

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think that more players that can play, but aren't academic or financially able to...should look at PDL and NPSL clubs.

There are many good opportunities out there for prospective players through these options. The players could also potentially go to school cheaper at local community colleges or trade schools while still playing/training with the clubs.

4. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  5. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    It's great that we're getting some movement on this. I wonder which MLS teams will be the teams to partner with a USL club. I do feel it's the cheaper less beneficial way to go which means I'm not surprised that it's the way New England went but I also have trepidation that it's the way we'll go.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that MLS will release details *today* according to the article.

7. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    The part of the article I found most strage was this:
    I guess the have confimation the Impact is a team they'll play but it almost seems odd to point it out. You'd think they'll play more MLS teams than just one so it's a little bit of an odd statement there. Montreal is also one of the closest teams to Rochester, of the top of my head it'd be Toronto, New York, Montreal so it seems like a bit of an obvious statement too.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for the "He is scoring/playing well with the USL Pro team he needs to be called up!!" arguments.

JB the First repped this.
  9. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also known as the Garey Argument.

10. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
  11. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Well if we were to affiliate with a team it would make more sense with Pittsburgh then it would with Dayton due to the style of play.

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess we would be one of the 4 affiliated teams simply because the owners don't want to pay for a full team.

13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Sorry, have not been following this....is there any idea if the Crew reserves, or whoever we team up with, will play at CCS? If they do not, I will really mis those games.

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really depends. If we partnered up with Pittsburgh I don't believe so. If we field our own team the league said it wanted them to be in MLS stadiums possible as double headers with MLS games.

15. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Bright Dike have to say about the USL Pro? What about the Timbers who sent him there? What about the Nigerian national team who called him up shortly after his loan to LA Blues?

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. But one must also note that a number of orgs in MLS already *have* an associated USL team under their banner, so they don't need to have an affiliated team. Chicago's had one almost from the start. Given that this setup is only being finalized now, not long before the season starts, it is not surprising that the teams that do not have their own USL team might want to wait a year to build such an organiziation before jumping in. In the end, I expect all MLS teams will have their own U-23 USL side.

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main thing that Pittsburgh has over Dayton is a GORGEOUS stadium. That's more of what should be happening. I can see Pittsburgh being a draw for Columbus too...simply for extending their branding/marketing (but that doesn't mean that the Crew will do it because they SUCK at marketing).

I prefer Dayton, it's much closer.

18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I am going off of is the information that has been released. It hasn't been much but major announcements are expected within the next few hours. It was said 4 MLS teams will have affiliations, meaning the rest will start their own teams THIS season. If that is the case how come everyone else is able to get a team together except those 4. Now those 4 could have an affiliation already existing, proximity to current club, etc.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember 4 MLS teams already *have* a team in USL. Michigan Bucks are *already* an affiliate of the Crew. I'm sure there are other cases.

20. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Doesn't this only apply to USL Pro, though, not USL PDL?

21. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the new Indy team joining USL Pro? Could we just be waiting on them?

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already have the orgainization in place was my point as they are already running a USL team.

23. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    No NASL.
    How many of their players are in college? Do we know how this will effect NCAA eligibility?

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rule is you cannot be on the same team as a pro but you can play against pros. But I was thinking more that they would keep their current team *but* have the organization in place and the relationships already established with USL Pro so that starting a new team will be easy. Or they could just be promoting their team up a level. No need for major specualtion as we'll know in an hour or so.

25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is for USL PRO only not anything else. Michigan Bucks would have nothing to do with it. I am just going on the little info thats out.

Again, from what's being said this would make players ineligibly for the NCAA.