MLS Reserves & USL Pro Merger (CLB)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by C-bus, Dec 22, 2012.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't disagree more with what the DDL are doing. They definitely want to develop players -- that's why they have an academy AND club system.

They have to focus on other things instead of "just winning" because...they haven't done a good job of winning! They've even had the luxury of sending 3 players (Garner, Williams, and Bardsley) into trial with MLS squads that probably never would've seen those trials unless it weren't for their US Open Cup matches.

There's probably no reason why Eli Garner or Matt Williams shouldn't be in the MLS. Both are solid options for several MLS teams.

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NPSL matches at halftime, you're seeing players in the restroom along with supporters.

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the "point" of this post...

4. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think I'm confused. This seems like:

No USL Pro team around? Sweet, go ahead and get 11 of your reserve guys some playing time every week!
    USL Pro team around? Awesome, you get experience for 5 of your reserve guys!

How is that not a clear advantage (in terms of player development) for teams without a USL team nearby?

CrewFan1000 repped this.
  5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's basically what the limited information that came out said.

6. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    This is pretty much the point they are interested in developing their own players not winning. Even if our players gave them the best chance to win they wouldn't have much incentive to play them unless we paid extra. I don't think they've sold a player to MLS or back home but that's what they want to do. They can't sell our own players back to us so like I said unless we throw in a little extra they don't have a lot of incentive to develop our players.

7. CrewFan1000

CrewFan1000 Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. seems to me the Crew would field their reserves in this league, play other MLS reserve teams and USL Pro. Only challenge might be roster size for MLS teams. Would they add 4-5 more? Guess that ends up being an issue for the league and the CBA.

It might also be interesting if they played weeknight matches. I'd go. Sunday mornings have been a little challenging in the past.

Also, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds stadium is awesome!

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/a-new-stadium-in-pittsburgh/

THOMA GOL repped this.
  8. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bingo. I was wondering the exact same thing. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. I tend to trust the league does a decent job with kind of stuff, but we'll see what happens.

If there was an advantage, the league would certainly be looking out for their big dogs - LAG would have a team nearby (although it might be found to be "closer" to Chivas), SEA has nothing close, and NYRB/NY2 might be close to the team in Rochester or Harrisburg.

9. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you say they aren't interested in winning though?

They've been a pro team for 2 years. Why would they exist if they weren't interested in winning? They have had some women earn pro contracts. They did have a player spend 2 years or so in Germany before he had a knee injury sideline him. I did mention they've had a couple guys earn pro trials.

I think that's a little better than what the Crew have done in getting players exposure. How long did it take for Robbie Rogers to get a chance...and how long did that last?

10. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLS

The Don's says

so the standard 60-90 day waiting period applies.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or--it's time for the lawyers to get involved and hammer this out....

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another forum on BS a poster who is very close with a USL Pro team has basically been told it's just a matter of time. Sounds like this will get done in some form or another.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Did he know what the actual proposal is? That MLS reserve sides remain intact and simply play a USL schedule?

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't say. Everything I read basically for most teams your reserve team would play in the USL Pro league. Doesn't really say how teams are deciding what their choice is.

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who care. This was posted over on the MLS NA board

Here are a series of tweets from IMSoccer News on the latest he has heard on the partnership.
    • "Same source [that told him about the deal] has now said 2013 will be transition year giving MLS teams "option" to play reserve league or join USL PRO in real competition."
    • "By 2014 most MLS teams will use USL PRO structure/league standings etc."
    • "Most MLS Res. games to be played at MLS venue, not practice field and discussion to schedule USL games as a doubleheader before MLS match"
    • "Lastly, hearing joint MLS/USL marketing efforts and MLS will provide extra technical assistance to the USL teams. Thats all I have for now."

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I guess MLS had to agree to doubleheaders as a marketing boost for USL. I always liked the low key Sunday morning matches.

eboe repped this.
  17. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Jardy's blog post on their first day of practice:

18. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Couldnt they use u23 players instead, helps bring players through.

19. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wouldn't we have to sign them to professional contracts though? and that would mess with NCAA I believe

20. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    While I still think it would be best to have our own team I hope we don't just try to survive a year with the regular reserves under Iribarren. I think Iribarren is a fine coach don't get me wrong but this needs to be more of a separate team. You need the extra guys that having a USL team would bring. How many times have MLS teams had to reschedule reserve games because they didn't have enough players to field a reserve team due to first team commitments.

I still think it would be smart to field our own USL Crew as I'm better after the next CBA roster sizes will increase again creating a situation where teams might as well have their own anyway.

21. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Is every player in the u23 system ncaa system?

22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    posted this over in the main merger thread over in the USL board, illustrates the absurdity of the potential Crew/DDL mash up

[​IMG]

23. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is this just conjecture or do we seriously have a USL Crew Team?

I am really confused by the snark and speculation that is being passed around in this thread?

24. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post (the logo image) was a joke. I don't know anything official re: the Crew in USL. The details have been slow in coming out and I don't think anything is official yet.

25. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    When you look at the drips of information that have been coming out for a month now coupled with the Don's remarks and Bliss' remarks I'd say there is a good chance we will see movement on this this year.

Don:
    Speaking to reporters during Thursday’s MLS SuperDraft, Garber remained noncommittal about a rumored partnership between USL Pro and Major League Soccer. But he didn’t exactly temper the speculation, saying more information could be available in the near future.
    “I can’t confirm anything today, but what I will say is that our league is very supportive of building a soccer pyramid and having a closer relationship with the lower divisions,” Garber said. “We continue to invest in reserve teams and our academy programs. We had a dozen Homegrown players sign that didn’t come through the draft, that actually signed through their academies.
    “You’re going to see more and more investment and more and more commitment to building a pyramid. We’ll be able to talk about it further probably in the next couple weeks.”
    http://m.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2...t-notes-garber-usl-pro-partnership-livestrong

Bliss:
    Major League Soccer is in the process of pairing its reserve league with the USL, but Bliss said the Crew is not sure about partnering with a local club.
    “It’s all still in the works,” he said. “We’re getting the details as they happen in a timely fashion. I think this year would be a year that we would probably go it alone if given the option because that whole partnership thing is very uncertain. I think the first year we’ll probably have to go it ourselves and play it by ear the following year.”
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2013/01/opening-day.html