MLS Reserve teams in D2 or D3

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by joegrav, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was more along the lines of what I was thinking.. But I was also under the impression that the Silnas kept the rights to St. Louis as well?

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I am pretty sure there would be more teams in the biggest markets, meaning NYC would probably have 5+ teams in USL/NASL/MLS.

This would create a big problem and something I dislike about other leagues, concentration of teams in a few markets.

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think multiple teams in those markets would be an inevitability nor would it mean they were all viable and capable of being top flight.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all for sure. But enough that even if 1 or 2 go down there would still be a presence in the big markets in D1.

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I just don't see that being the case, particularly in the NYC area where getting RB a stadium was difficult enough. Using that argument also assumes that fans aren't exactly tribal and will just follow the top flight teams. I think there is plenty of evidence, world wide, to support that hypothesis, but given that, why not just work to have two stable and popular teams in the NYC market without subjecting them to relegation threats?

Achowat repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My argument was only about replacing nyc with Boise because of pro/rel. And how that is not how it would work.

That still does not mean pro/rel would work.

At least not for the owners.

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I don't know how you can suggest that. I know you haven't beaten this drum, but an argument that gets beaten to death here is that pro/rel gives Boise or some other unserved US market access to MLS. Your suggestion kind of blows up that argument. I also just don't see it being realistic because of the financial barriers to entering that market.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It opens the path to MLS (sporting wise).

Kind of like the Open Cup means a PDL team can make the CCL and the FIFACWC. Just because is possible it does not mean it will happen.

And as I said in my original post most likely it would lead into a concentration of D1 teams in fewer markets.

9. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a pro/rel thread. Hasn't this infected enough threads on bigsoccer?

ps. Not that I want to contribute to the conversation or anything, but ceezmad is probably right. I can't think of too many leagues world wide that don't have at least 2 or 3 teams in the primary population centers. Pro/rel might actually reduce the percentage of teams league wide that aren't from our largest cities.

10. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    th.jpg

11. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Since, I don't think pro/rel is coming for decades if ever I propose down the road adding another tourney between MLS and NASL. This would help grow the game in non MLS markets. I know we have the USA cup and to be honest this type of tourney will never happen but it would help grow pro soccer.

12. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the insatiable TV and ticket demand for the US Open Cup I'm sure another similar tournament is coming any day now

billf repped this.
  13. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    LOL. Good one.