MLS Reserve Division

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SC in SF, Apr 17, 2005.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's not working based on a couple of games? That's a little rash.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No real surprise there. 5 games in 14 days will do that to a team. I don't know who could have played except for Nana Kaffour and Jason Thompson.

Sachin

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And I don't even know if you can say that "its not working." You can't ignore the development of the roster players who did participate simply because non-roster players were used. In the Chivas-FCD match we used two non-roster players. Both of whom had been given time during pre-season but couldn't make the official roster. So what? The other 11 official players who participated got valuable game experience that they wouldn't have gotten without this league. And they will continue to do so throughout the season. They will be able to travel to away games with the Sr team....allowing them to experience that aspect of professional life. So they are better prepared when they are added to the roster. Give me a break....they are a million and one things to complain about in regards to MLS...this just might be the most insignificant of them all.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    A broken clock is right twice a day. Not caring about a couple of non-roster players getting a few minutes in a reserve league game would be one of them.

Unless we're gonna complain about Clint Dempsey's getting reserve game minutes for PSV.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All MLS reserve squads are taking on non-MLS teams as well. But only the scheduled (or rescheduled) MLS reserve matches count towards the Single Table aka 20k grand prize.
    Hence the lack of reporting on the non-MLS vs. MLS reserve games.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Isn't Arena healthy?

Presumably Kuykendall, Merritt, Van Sicklen, and Quintanilla and a goalkeeper could have played, plus probably Jamil Walker.

That's 7.5 players, and I may have overcounted, but with slightly larger rosters (a couple more developmental players) and a few guest players, I don't see why D.C. couldn't have fielded a competitive team.

7. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I don't understand what you're complaining about. MLS reserve rosters are too small, definitely, and so they'll probably end up playing a few guys who aren't real prospects, just so they can field 11 players. However, the reserve league isn't for a team's benefit, but for the individual players, and they're going to still get games of the same approximate quality whether rosters were 28 or 32. So I don't see what negative MLS teams not having much depth has, except that more players aren't being developed by the new system than currently are. Please explain.

8. salmacis

salmacis Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Oxford, UK
    Actually, it's a work permit issue. If a player arrives for a trial without a work permit, then he can play in a reserve match as long as no admission is charged. The idea is that technically the player isn't working as such.

9. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Never mind.

I give up.

You guys win.

Now we can get back to worrying about who the assistant coaches for San Antonio will be. Thank you.

10. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    This needs to be looked at with a future mind. How will the first year look when we're looking back on it in four years?

"Yea, it was a bit spotty for the first couple seasons, but look now at these young guys we've got coming up. And how about that double header last week?!"

That is how to acknowledge shortcomings and still work through them without getting stuck in trying to find out who did what wrong.

In other words, I'm (trying to be) both a realist and a supporter. I think there should be some MLS Superdraft bennies for the clubs with the top reserve sides. You know, encourage the teams that develop players well to have more opportunity to develop better and better players.

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to me, it's simply too early to complain. i mean, heck, compare it to last year.

it's bound to have all sorts of problems...sort of like the league did in 1996. 10 years later it ain't doing too bad.

12. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Hopefully one day MLS will develop the common sense to have just 3 foreign player per team.....Meawhile hand me the Pepto.... :mad:

13. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I caught the Fire v. Quakes reserve game on Sunday and it was very entertaining soccer. The Quakes had about 30 guys available and the Fire had more than enough guys on their bench-which they did not utilize. It was a perfect soccer day,the game was played with intensity, and there was a wholesome , innocent quality about it. Moreover, it was free. Parking was 6$ and the seating was spacious-I chose the grass. I hope it never becomes well attended and remains for the die-hard fans exclusively. For those fans who want to see the players close-up, it is a real treat. Congratulations MLS. And now you tell me its single table and no play-offs- ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!