MLS Playoffs 2012: Conference Finals [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Nov 9, 2012.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo franchise is 6 for 7. We missed the playoffs in 2010. We don't count anything that happened before that. That belongs to San Jose.

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If combining the dynasties like that shows us anything, I think what it really shows is that Kinnear was mastermind behind the early success, not Yallop so much.

3. gears

gears Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

Last place I'd want to play is BBVA.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    There was a time when I thought that, especially circa 2009 when Yallop hadn't had any success with the "expansion" Quakes yet and Kinnear had several good years with the 2005 Quakes core that he built.

But the emergence of the Quakes this year for an almost worst to first kind of thing is similar to what happened in 2001. This year certainly didn't involve Kinnear, and in 2001 I would guess that Kinnear had more of a minor role as a 1st year assistant coach.

And at the same time Kinnear's team has struggled a little bit the last few years - missing the playoffs in 2010 and almost missing it again this year. (Yes, they have done very well in the playoffs - but there is a strong "crap shoot" aspect to that). Plus Kinnear has struggled a bit with acquisitions that flamed out - Landin, Caraccio, etc., and seems to have a predilection for trading forwards that go on to flourish elsewhere (Wondo, Kamara, Oduro to some extent).

So on balance I think they are both successful coaches in their own right - different styles, maybe a little different philosophy and personality, but both successful coaches.

ImaPuppy and profiled repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Landon Donovan may have had more to do with it than the coaching.

Four California Clasico playoff series since Donovan entered the league. Two for SJ (2001 and 2003), and two for LA (2005 and 2012). Kinnear and Yallop and Sigi Schmid have all lost one. But Baby Judas has been on the winning side in every single one.

Ismitje and blacksun repped this.
  6. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: What two teams have the most playoff encounters in MLS history? I know the ClashQuakes and Galaxy have met five times, with the Galaxy now leading 3-2 all-time. Have any other teams met each other more often in the playoffs?

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not sure how LD led to Houston's success since moving from San Jose... including two MLS Cups without him, but he's absolutely been the driver behind LA's success since 2005.

8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Looks like New England Chicago 7 times, with New England having the 4-3 advantage.

2002 New England
    2003 Chicago
    2005 New England
    2006 New England
    2007 New England
    2008 Chicago
    2009 Chicago

Jasonma and Golazo repped this.
  9. bbbmmmlll

bbbmmmlll Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure making it into the playoffs is really the definition of a dynasty. Some years half the teams made it. If you look at statistical data DC United and LA Galaxy are in the top two spots for most of the significant records - like playoff wins, supporter shields, playoff games, wins, etc.. The name, statistics and records did not transfer from San Jose so the Dynamo are officially a different team.

10. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured it would be those two. 7 meetings in 8 years? That would make for a great rivalry if either of them actually won a title or two in that time. Although, in their first five playoff encounters, the winner would go on to the MLS Cup Final. And lose. By the fourth time I'd call it a curse.

Chicago fan: "Damn it, we have to play them again? We're NEVER gonna win a championship." :(

New England fan: "Damn it, we have to play them again? We're NEVER gonna win a championship." :(

Ismitje and profiled repped this.
  11. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that. What I was thinking of is the fact that it seems like the Quakes/Dynamo have been on one long continuous run of success for a decade now (though the Dynamo did miss the playoffs in 2010, I was told). Neither DC nor the Galaxy have had a run quite like that. Maybe in the early years of MLS when, like you said, it wasn't that hard to make the playoffs every year. All teams go through some rough years. Not that long ago that the Galaxy were in a 3 year playoff drought. DC hadn't made it in 5 years. I had felt in recent years that Houston's window had closed, but they just keep going.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Interesting data, but it can't be all about LandyCakes, 'cause:

- he failed to get his team out of the first round in 2002
    - he failed to get his team out of the first round in 2004
    - he failed to get his team into the playoffs in 2006
    - he failed to get his team into the playoffs in 2007
    - he failed to get his team into the playoffs in 2008
    - he failed to get his team past RSL in MLS Cup in 2009, including the infamous PK over the crossbar
    - he failed to get his team past FC Dallas in the playoffs in 2010, losing at home by the embarrassing score of 3-0

So as you can see, his career has been a litany of failure. :)

FuzzyForeigner repped this.
  13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most is Chicago vs. New England, who have met 8 times, splitting 4-4 (7-7-1 by games). Two matchups have happened 5 times: LA vs. SJ -- 3-2 and 5-4-1 and Colorado vs. Dallas -- 5-0 and 5-2-3.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids and Dallas have met 5 times, with the Rapids winning all 5 series/games.

15. gears

gears Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, when you put it that way...

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Has Houston ever beaten Landon Donovan in the playoffs?

On average, the team with Donovan (four cups in eleven years) is more likely to win the Cup than the team head-coached by Dom Kinnear (two cups in eight years) or Frank Yallop (same).

17. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well you sorta need to discount the years that they coached him from your year total if that's how you're going to play it.

So Yallop won nothing without LA, Kinnear won two with out him.

18. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Rapids can win a title without Donovan, anyone can. How about we all agree he's just one player, who moved from one championship-caliber team to another.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    And besides, the data shows that Donovan is only 80% as good as Brian Mullan and Jeff Agoos, both of whom have 5 MLS Cups. :)

Jasonma repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sample size, doctor. :)

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How much would you like to bet Donovan wins another MLS Cup this year and Kinnear doesn't?

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Hey, that's my line. You're the one who wanted to trumpet 4 for 11 over 2 for 8 :).

OK, let's look at some of the "co-stars" Donovan has played with in his MLS Cup years. With the possible exception of 2005, pretty darn good list of "co-stars".

2001 - Dwayne DeRosario, Jeff Agoos, Ronald Cerritos, Richard Mulrooney, Ronnie Ekelund, Jimmy Conrad
    2003 - Dwayne DeRosario, Jeff Agoos, Richard Mulrooney, Ronnie Ekelund, Brian Ching
    2005 - Herculez Gomez, Cobi Jones, Kevin Hartman, um, Pando? :)
    2011 - Robbie Keane, David Beckham, ...

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I flunked math. :)

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids can win a MLS Cup without Donovan but not without Mullan.

Ismitje repped this.
  25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to toot the Dynamo horn I find these two stats together to be amazing:

6 of 7 years in the playoffs.
    11 of 14 MLS Cup ties won!

Only LAG and NYRB have beaten the Dynamo in the MLS playoffs.

If the Dynamo manage to hold on in DC, then 12 of 15 Cup ties won. That is an amazing stat when you combine it with 6 of 7 years in the playoffs.

I don't know what that all means as far as whose team is greater.

ImaPuppy repped this.