MLS Offseason News and Rumors Thread I

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His other options are Norway or Austria. I think MLS is a step up.

He hasn't received any offers from Holland, Belgium, or any big leagues.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  2. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    My guess is it would actually be Boyd, if someone wants to take on his salary - he underperformed quite a bit given expectations last year. His name has already come up in trade talks.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four forwards is not too many, especially if they are playing a 4-3-3.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commentary: Less gambles, more guile from Timbers in '13
    December 13, 2012
    Dan Itel
    MLSsoccer.com

He's already figured out what Burns still hasn't figured out in all his years here...

5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not clear. I was a talking from a salary cap perspective. You can't have forwards chewing up that much of the cap and build a balanced team.

Boyd is a DP, Mwanga is highly compensated, and Johnson makes in the 6 figures.

Don't forget they also have Valencia who was signed as a youth DP last year so he will chew up another $150k if he plays this year.

And beyond that they still have Fucito who is a serviceable forward in MLS and Dike.

I still think they will be shopping a forward.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they're willing to go "over" the cap...?

MLS salaries before the season started last year, which includes all players, etc.

7. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure, they can manipulate/work the cap the best they can but eventually you have to make the numbers fit and putting so many eggs into the forwards basket is going to take away from another position I think.

This will be a non starter though if Valencia is off the books/roster this year as they can probably get buy cap wise with the 5 other forwards they have (assuming they don't draft another one).

They also have a home grown forward in Brent Richards who made a handful of appearances last year for the Timbers. He does not affect the cap but certainly adds to the glut of players they have in this one position.

8. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't need to know how MLS works, just have the right people on his staff that know some of the idiosyncrasies.

Jay's spent his whole career here..sure helped him a lot!

I'm guessing that Chivas will definitely be higher on the table than us in 2013..but, don't wager with me. I'm already losing, so far against a friend that LPool will be higher than the blue team in the same city..! =)

patfan1 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan, I endorse that bet with your friend. :)

Agree on Jay Heaps, having MLS experience as a player doesn't necessarily mean you will be a successful coach. Heaps is like a frequent flyer - even if he has 10,000 miles as an experienced passenger doesn't mean he knows how to fly the plane.

pwykes and RevsFanDan repped this.
  10. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anybody heard anything about the Revs possibly signing Bilal Duckett? I seem to remember reading an (bent musket?) article right near the end of the season, that said they had him come in during the last few weeks of the season and train with the team. Also mentioned they werre looking to sign him.
    Just thinking about that today as it would possibly affect what picks we make in the Re-Entry Draft and beyond.
    Hes 6'2" but played mostly RB (with some CB & LB) for the Whitecaps, IIRC

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Nah, it's not fair to call it luck. They did very well in the draft in the first half of Nicol's tenure. He deserves credit, because he did well.

I don't think anyone felt they could rely only on the draft (there may have been some degree of over-reliance, though), but the fact then as now, was that most of the attempts at other acquisitions failed pretty miserably. It's not like they didn't attempt to bring in players other ways, they just didn't do it effectively.

I think Nicol did very well in the draft for a while, then got too speculative and maybe felt that the staff's evaluations were better than anyone else's, and started picking guys they liked way too high (Wellsey, de Oliviera, Valentino) from 2006 to 2008. They seemed to refocus on safer/more conventional picks and started getting better results from 2009 on.

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
  14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It was luck. We reached for Dempsey, and he turned out to be arguably the best draft pick of all time. We did the same thing with Oliveira and Thompson and they both turned out to be major busts.

Dempsey, Parkhurst, and Noonan were three fantastic draft picks, but you can't forget Oliveira, Igwe, Valentino, Thompson, Maxwell, and Schilawski who were all busts. I'd argue that even the Soares pick doesn't look great considering the players who were selected immediately after him (Sarkodie, Anibaba, Sapong, and Bruin).

The place where we really got lucky was with supplemental picks. Finding Larentowicz and Dorman in those later rounds really helped us remain competitive and contend for MLS Cups.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same player but he has been playing in Brazil at Vasco for the past couple of seasons.

If he does not take up a DP slot, this would be an interesting pick up. The guy is still scoring on free kicks.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsFanDan repped this.
  19. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like there is a team from Holland now in the "mix" per MLSsoccer.com

20. mdelli

mdelli Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Seattle
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wow...environment and a fan base can attract talent? Who would have guessed.

Timbers and Mixx

RevsFanDan repped this.
  21. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once a "smart" player has knowledge of a club's interest in him; why on Earth, other than VERY GOOD MONEY, would said player ever want to play in Flocksboro?

Even then...any player who decides to give in and play for the Revs..does so knowing he has no other options or the money is decent enough to allow him that last hurrah before fading into the background.

There is absolutely nothing about this team that is a magnet to any aspiring player...nothing!

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question. Is there a reason you still follow the Revs and continue to post how much you dislike everything about the Franchise?

23. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest Answer:

Because after 18years I would have hoped we weren't so behind even the minimalist view of what a team should be like in MLS.

And I always harbor some delusional hope that Kraft would sell the team to a more committed and dedicated group/owner.

So during that spell, even if it doesn't happen..I don't want any new or old fans to get complacent about the state of this team. I don't want anyone to think that whatever this team is doing now is anything but blowing smoke up our ass.

It's going to take a whole lot for me to change my mind about Krapathy...The harm done to the sport, MLS and this team's brand is almost irreversible. But, people forget quickly once a SSS breaks ground and new logos and kits get presented. I'm just hoping that if that time does come...Bob will NOT be at the helm.

I can dream... =)

Doublecard repped this.
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. patfan1