MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the end of the game on MLS Live. I don't have any history, and the screen was obviously cropped to hide the stadium features, but it came across as a pretty wild environment. Maybe that's just because it looked like their supporters group was at the midfield line and that was all you could see as the camera panned up and down the field. Sounds like the question is how much longer the spark can keep glowing in a crap stadium and with crap ownership.

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Mauro Diaz out for the season. That's a serious blow to Dallas.

Sparks27 repped this.
  3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas just shot this rumor down

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well why in the world did they wait to say that until after I traded Diaz away on my fantasy team?

5. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that would be better than Seattle losing 5-0 is Seattle losing 6-0. The Revs just kicked their butts...

vividox, kcfooty and Uppa 90 repped this.
  6. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, and teal with a brace... though both of his goals were kinda flukey.

7. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    One was officially an own goal. Honestly thought both could be.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this weekend as a whole was crazy. Three teams scored 5, another scored 4. We easily could have had 5. Three hattricks.

9. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A very, very fine weekend in MLS. Accentuated by the dull-as-dirt finish to the Premier League, haha.

10. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an awful sight in Colorado on Mothers Day. 2 MLS teams playing in freezing weather with snow in a mostly empty stadium and the home team getting beat by Chivas. It doesn't get a whole lot worse than that....

kcfooty repped this.
  11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I much prefer the idea of ESPN 3 over MLS Live. The only thing I'm gonna care about here then is how many and which games are nationally broadcast.

13. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Dammit, is this what the "big announcement" is? I seriously hate ESPN with their pathetic money grabs and piss poor analysis; they are basically TMZ of the sports world. And Inca I think we all know which games and clubs will get the most focus what with their raging hard-on for certain clubs in certain areas which may or may not actually be any good.

14. andrew74354

andrew74354 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of espn 3 we just got access to it on dish about a month ago.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll wait and see, the loss of the condensed matches that were available via MLS live would suck.

I will say I'm not excited about the return to Fox. Unless they're gonna fire Wynalda and Barton

16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm sorry, but where I am personally... no way in hell I'm sad about a guaranteed three games per week, in addition to any time Sporting plays for the local channel. This year already there's been at least three or four weekends where Sporting games were the only ones I could watch.

I can see why the MLS Live folks are concerned, though. And as for which teams are selected... dunno if I care too much. Isn't SKC one of the most nationally-aired teams this year?

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2592 kcscsupporter, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    would prefer the league focus on saturday night. sunday afternoons suck. period. especially during the summer.

EDIT: this is purely from the point of view of an attendee. i "get" all the positives about having a regular time and such for the tv audience.

Luke Campbell repped this.
  18. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Totally agree: it's GREAT for the profile of the league, can't argue with that. I believe you are correct about Sporting's TV coverage; they are/have become one of the "darlings" of the league. It's other teams say for instance like Rapids, Crew, Whitecaps, P. Union who I could see being left out. And with the introduction of NYCFC can you imagine the ESPN circus that will be. Maybe not, and if I'm wrong then so be it. But thinking about ESPN's MO (think TMZ), I could really see the high profile keeping that high profile in this arrangement simply because of the $$$. But generally, yes great for the league and US soccer. Looks like I'll have to break down and get cable soon.

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hold strong. there may be other options by the time this all starts to kick in.

20. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sounds like ESPN3 will probably have a subscription service, which is great for the cord cutters.

21. lawnchair

lawnchair Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Future hazy on that one.

So far, ESPN3 has been a "who is your ISP" question. If your ISP paid ESPN's fee, you could watch ESPN3. You couldn't pay money yourself to get it.

Since then, they've started WatchESPN, which is ESPN1/2/U/etc content, but only if you are a registered cable/dish subscriber (and only certain cable companies at that).

Recently, they also let Dish Network TV subscribers who have internet (through an ISP that isn't paying for ESPN3) get ESPN3 content streamed anyway.

It's possible that they'll turn ESPN3 into an individual subscription service. Sadly (as someone without cable TV but who watches some ESPN3), it's probably more likely that they'll eventually limit ESPN3 content to people who have active cable TV subscriptions. The "log in with your cable account" infrastructure is in place for that switch, anyway.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that hazy

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ia-rights-deals-mean-match-streaming-mls-live

vividox repped this.
  23. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What's most exciting to me is that were going to get a consistent schedule finally. With Friday, Saturday, and Sunday all having games.

24. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've read the releases, but what's the consistent Saturday game you mention?

And yes, totally agree about the consistent times for Sunday [especially]. That was the huge in this deal for me.

I'm just curious how these Sunday games will do against NFL national broadcasts in the fall. Not easy.

25. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well what I meant by that is there is going to still consistently be Saturday games like there has been..... Sorry for the confusion.