MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I meant Minneapolis, but got my north-of-here 'M' cities confused.
    I like what San Antonio is doing in NASL, just don't really care for a third Texas team.

2. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I'm excited about the stadium situation, but Atlanta is a must for MLS to get to that "national footprint" that leads to more television money. On the other hand, from the (admittedly short) time I've spent there, if you aren't downtown, or maybe right next to a MARTA station, you're creating fan access difficulties that make Frisco look like a freaking walk in the park. Atlanta rivals DC for my "crappiest cities to drive in" title.

Get in there, then you can start looking for investors in other major markets like Phoenix, Minneapolis, Detroit, St. Louis, etc. I think it's inevitable that MLS will be a 28-32 team league with NFL-style scheduling, although I think it will have to wait until the depth of domestic talent develops before we can get there. Or else they'll add more international slots to the rosters....

3. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because you build it, doesn't mean they will come. I just have not known Atlanta to be a hot bed of soccer activity. Maybe its going on somewhere out there, but I sure have not heard of anything special. I hope they prove me wrong and launch a successful franchise there.

4. lawnchair

lawnchair Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Trying to find the positive, at least the new Falcons facility is downtown and on MARTA. As long as Southwest is fighting Delta at ATL, it will win the title for cheapest/easiest-transport-to-stadium for a fly-in roadron. There are easily a dozen other cities in MLS I would rather visit, but it will be tempting.

5. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YilmazOrhan repped this.
  9. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think it might be a bit much to give a standing ovation, I do personally think that it's totally OK to respect your opponent when they do something fantastic. I will give keepers or defenders props when they make vital stops which prevent a goal - I did for Attinella when he saved Feilhaber's volley and for the defender who cleared Martinez's shot in the FCD game in stoppage time.

And sure, I think that booing is overused when players haven't done anything egregious. I still don't know why Colorado was upset at Sinovic... I also am not a fan of when supporters boo a ref after a game is over - would rather see them support the team who had to, apparently, play through the adversity of a missed call or poorly reffed game. Esp. since it's not always super apparent who the boos are directed at.

But, then again, I'm also not writing articles telling people they're wrong for doing it. Outside of maintaining a respectable level of civility (yelling obscenities about a player, player's wife/mom, etc. for a full 90 minutes seems a bit much to me at least) I don't consider there to be a 'right' or 'wrong' way to watch a game or support a team.

10. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to recall noticing in past years that the Rapids supporters always pick one player on the visiting team (seemingly at random) and boo every time he touches the ball.

11. Die Ungeheuer

Die Ungeheuer New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been in DC for several days now, and went to the game against red bulls tonight. It was just sad. It was great to see Davy score, but the crowds were bad. barra Brava and Screaming Eagles seemed really small compared to years ago and NY travelled maybe 200 people. The stadium is just sad, like an old broken down arrowhead. It really reminded me of our crowds and facilities in 99, but Arrowhead didn't look as run down even if it was half shut down during our games. They really need a new stadium to get them back to their old glory days. Being there tonight really made me appreciate our owners all the more.

12. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What goes around, comes around.

After all of the crap DC fans gave us back in the day it's hard to have have much empathy.

13. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The games I went to at RFK last year were a bit better than what you are describing. But, I have to agree, RFK is a dump. Add to that the poor coaching, poor draft and trade choices and it is a recipe for flagging fan enthusiasm and small crowds. A new stadium would change the dynamic in DC, but their ownership group had better make some big changes first. Otherwise, they will have a nice stadium, but it will look like what the Rapids are experiencing: a nice stadium with mediocre fan support.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that columbus guy (gonzales?) should be suspended for the rest of the year without pay. That is everything about soccer that gives it a bad name. Screw that.

16. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG... LOL. That's awful.
    Yup. Throw the book.

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Guy's hung out with Joel Campbell too much.

18. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's a tad bit aggressive but I assume you were exaggerating. Throw me under the bus but I actually like Gonzales a lot. He's a very hard worker, however shit like that is not acceptable.

19. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. probably excessive. But it will never get fixed by handing out a game suspension here and there.

20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, to be fair, there is a difference in culture going on, too. Not that wild overacting is the norm elsewhere, but going down easier is more common in various other cultures. I'd prefer some clashes of appropriateness like this (as long as they're addressed) to not being a desirable league for players like South and Central American internationals.

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only a fine, no suspension for him apparently

23. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I was mad at first because I think that is the only way to clean it up, but nothing came from the action of his dive. I think that fining him was a good call.

24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And there's plenty of precedent for not retroactively punishing a blind siding shoulder hit like that. Seems the DisCo hates the sneaky little stuff more than the blatant ones.

25. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    It seems that they only care about hits above the shoulders or below the belt. Seems like the strike zone is open game.