MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2526 msilverstein47, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry about that...my mistake and sincere apologies...it's now corrected

4. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of, almost, sort of KC related:
    [Kyle] Martino agrees. “When I was getting towards the end of my career, and knew my time was numbered, L.A. wanted to trade me to the old K.C., and I basically said if that was my only option, I’m going to retire. And now New England has kind of turned into that team where you’d rather hang it up, as a player in your last years, than play at.

At least he had the decency to retire before being traded.

jtreg repped this.
  5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And at least he now has the decency to refer to it as "the old K.C." Don't want people getting wrong ideas in their heads about the current state of affairs. :)

6. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I loved seeing the "old" in there. While I still embrace the Wizards and our past, it was not an extremely happy past and I'm glad that we are not where we were before.

I should mention that I started supporting this team in '05, actually just at the end of '04. So I pretty much missed the USOC in '04 and most of the season to start following before the MLS Cup loss and then all of the horrible months of waiting to see if the team I just started supporting was going to get taken away. So, for me, the Wizard's past was... not great.

7. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Loved watching Cbus tonight. Way to stick it to SEA at the death.

MuddyPitch repped this.
  8. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As good as seeing NE stick it to SJ. I'll admit that my guilty pleasure is scooting over to the BS San Jose board to see the venom flow when SJ loses.

9. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching Seattle score a goal against SKC in stoppage time, there was a lot of satisfaction seeing the Sounders go down in the same way to Columbus..

10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i watched a bit of the chi-dc game yesterday, and seeing davy in black was a little disappointing. being in montreal's blue is one thing, but dc's black does not look good on him. i bet he's having to take multiple showers a day just to make sure the handball united stink doesn't sink into his skin.

11. MeiJunXin

MeiJunXin Member

May 29, 2012
    Kent, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And we were happy to oblige. Whenever Seattle is brought down a notch, everyone wins!

Sachsen and Sparks27 repped this.
  12. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really feel bad for Davy. One of my favorite KC players of all time, and a really good guy. His career is winding down, and he obviously wants to play as long as he can, but to have to end up at a place like DC at this stage must be really depressing.

13. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, going from the SP locker rooms to the RFK locker rooms in 3 years is quite the decline. Wonder if he's found any vermin in his gear?

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they released Ruiz.

kcfooty, Sparks27, jtreg and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Rather disappointing, that.

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, not crazy about that selection. playing in a gigantic stadium as a secondary tenant ... oh, and more artificial turf, which should be a non-starter for the league, but it's not. i'm also far from convinced that atlanta is going to give a damn as their track record isn't exactly a shining star.

18. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on this tweet yesterday, it sounds like SKC will indeed move with Houston to the Western Conference next year.

19. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the guarantee of at least one Colorado road trip per season?

Atlanta getting 22 (over a midwest team) really should be good for the Sporting Club Network, from Minnesota down through Oklahoma. But I wish there were more games within road trip distance.

Would a 22 team league be 10 home/away in conference + 12 split cross-conference + 2 "marquis" cross-conference rivalry games (if they stay at 34 games a year)?

20. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully "marquis" is not Chicago.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're moving back eventually, doing it next year when we'll have 21 would put the West with 11 instead of the East. But with Atlanta at 22 (and Miami eventually if they get a stadium), might as well get the move over with early.

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I was thinking the opposite, Buzz. With two new expansion sides popping in with lord knows what kind of results and stability on the field and off, I would think leaving a proven, competitive franchise in their division provide a stabler field for them to land on.

But then, a move West would be fun. I think we fans would have a little adjustment to not being quite as dominant as we have been the past few seasons, though. Then again, you never know who is going to rise and who is going to fall any given year. And frankly, as much as I love the idea of competing for the Shield, I'd be good with a solid home record and making the playoffs any year. I think I've lived in KC too long. I can't seem to be comfortable with a tradition of excellence or dominance. Just seems so... weird. I expect to watch teams fighting to be above average. :p

23. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That really doesn't make much sense if it's going to create an even larger number imbalance.

Actually that doesn't make much sense any way you look at it. What would they need SKC for?

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #2549 vividox, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    I don't mind going to Atlanta, but I'm not amazed at the team being a second tenant in a huge stadium with a plastic playing surface. What's the point of MLS being so gung ho about teams having to have their own SSS's with grass fields if they are going to bring in NYFCs and Atlantas that either don't have stadium plans finalized or play in conditions we know are harmful to the growth of MLS? I suppose it's possible that Atlanta will turn into another Seattle, but we don't have any reason to believe that right now.

Anyway, that puts New York FC, Orlando, Atlanta, and a likely Miami as teams 20-23. Just one more spot left - would love to see Minneapolis/Oklahoma City/St. Louis.

EDIT: Said Milwaukee, meant Minneapolis.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put Minneapolis and San Antonio ahead of those 3