MLS & NBC Sports have agreed on a 3-year deal

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Does not affect locals

2. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could some excitement like this debacle last fall:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlvOUG8nuZ4"]‪David Garrard Hail Mary TD to Mike Thomas..Jaguars vs. Texans 2010‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

3. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006
    The deal expires after 2014, so it will be on the heels of, rather than the eve of, the World Cup. But I think your point still stands.

4. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I thought NBC & Galavision already own the right to 2014 WC

Edit I mean ABC

5. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really hoping NBC does the job well and then moves to pull all these rights away from ESPN/ABC

6. I'd say the difference is that CNBC (as far as we know) didn't have their people hacking into dead peoples phones to sell papers. Murdoch, regardless of his political leanings, is a special kind of evil.

7. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    ESPN has 2014.

2018 and beyond have not been awarded to anybody.

I hope when negotiations for 2018 come around, FIFA and/or Blazer and/or a resurrected, Zombie-like Jack Warner apparition can leverage World Cup rights to increase MLS' exposure again. I expect bidding for 2018 to get crazy -- if MLS can somehow be bundled in there, it could be a true watershed moment for the league.

The only way we're going to see a significant bump in the salary cap is if TV revenues climb significantly. 2014 will be a huge year for MLS' growth.

8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Awesome AWESOME news. Very happy about this. Almost double the number of households if I'm not mistaken, and I think that number will grow with their NHL/UFC and now MLS broadcasts. The rebranding shouldn't hurt either.

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Yes, because it was actually Murdoch that did this and not people working at a newspaper that he has no day-to-day part in and is connected to by being chairman of the paper's parent company, a massive media conglomerate which probably keeps him pretty busy.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

I'd hate to see what you considered bad production.

12. Sounders Fan

Sounders Fan Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is fantastic news! This deal is a major milestone for the league. It shows that MLS is moving into the American mainstream.

13. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I'd gladly pay a subscription to Versus/NBC Sports Network online. Or maybe they could have something like ESPN3. I get that through my internet service provider.

14. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They recently announced they are going to put a few Notre Dame football games on NBC Sports starting next year, as well. And they are gunning for the Big East TV package for football and basketball.

Basically put, Comcast is actively seeking additional properties for the channel formerly known as Versus.

One thing I wonder is if NBC will get into the bidding for additional soccer properties to compliment MLS. When do the contracts for the likes of Serie A or La Liga become available? Or maybe stuff like Copa America (esp if it expands to add more CONCACAF teams) or the Gold Cup.

15. chudbeagle

chudbeagle Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comcast Sports Net also show Philly, San Jose and DC games locally (maybe a few other cities?), so this makes sense. I know the Union ratings are solid, not sure about the others.

16. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSC seems to be dead lock to EPL and GOLTV with La Liga
    If they can nab comps like the UEFA Euro's and Europa League as well as the CONCACAF Champions League, they would really be making in roads on FSC in terms of soccer. They don't need any leagues outside of the MLS to be honest.

17. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    It would be nice if FSC returned to the programming it used to carry when it was FSW - rugby, aussie rules, and a much more broad base of soccer, including Bundesliga, Eredevisie, EPL, and Argentina.

18. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I'm just happy that I will actually start getting all of the Timbers games in HD next year! Granted, most of the games which the Timbers have on FSC are home games, I do still DVR them to catch all of the plays/intricacies I missed while attending the game.

I have mixed feelings about whether I would want a PORvSEA game on NBC main network. While I think the atmosphere would come across well, if the quality of play matches what we saw on both sides of the ball for both those games this year, it will be a poor showing for how the league has progressed.

19. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is growing too quickly to keep up with so someone may have mentioned this.

Could COMCAST be thinking bigger than first realized? It is obvious that this MLS deal is the start of putting together a bid for the 2018/2022 rights but what I forgot was that COMCAST owns the second largest Spanish channel in Telemundo. They might be thinking of going after both the English and Spanish rights for 2018/2022, of which MLS would fit perfectly into(note that all MLS contracts, including Univision expire in 2014).

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well someone should tell your coach to stop employing big/fast goons and start employing soccer players. :rolleyes:

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Not according to this:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/44091044/ns/sports-soccer/

22. BSGuy321

BSGuy321 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    This whole thing is huge !

23. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The numbers also mean that some weeks will have multiple national televised games on NBCSN alone. That may just make-up for the weeks that ESPN takes off. But if they are going to do two same day broadcasts it either means two announcer teams, or the game is called from a studio. I really hope it is not the latter.

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I responded as the news was breaking . . . saw initially four US games and 6 total network games. I am good to go. Although, still only two network games kinda sucks - but better than none on FSC :)

25. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Or mid-week games. We have those from time to time, and with having an odd number of teams in the league next year, it is likely that we will have at least the same number, if not more.