MLS & NBC Sports have agreed on a 3-year deal

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 10, 2011.

1. OldRetiredCoach

Feb 22, 2003
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon the interruption,
    YYEEEESSSSSS!!!!
    Sorry, carry on.
    :)

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    That is probably the reported 4 national games plus only two MLS games.

3. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I hope this means we'll get the Gumble brothers talking soccer!!!!

4. o Sigma o

o Sigma o Member

Jun 30, 2008
    The Suncoast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see them re-branding to FFC (Fox Football Channel). If I'm not mistaken weren't they showing or at least advertising Rugby airing on the channel in the future? If they re-branded to that name it would cover their ass and allow them to show 2 more sports in conjunction with Soccer. This would allow them to recoup any viewership losses they might receive over time from their competition eating up their US Soccer (National Team and MLS. Maybe even USL/WPS?) contracts.

5. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Ratings are up across the board.

6. danielofthedale

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really hoping that Vs. will put together a 30min to an hour weekly review/preview show during the week. Get some more non-game MLS coverage like most other leagues have.

7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I have to say is "Christmas in August".

Can it be Christmas when it is over 100 degrees outside?

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Garber and co. lined this one up perfectly.

In 2014, on the eve of the HUGELY popular soccer event, I can see multiple networks out bidding each other for rights to MLS/USMNT games.

I could easily see the $$$ tripled what it is today by 2014.

9. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

10. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    But doesn't SUM get to dish out the World Cup rights, too?

I would imagine that WC viewship in US will just keep going up and after the 2014 WC the networks will have that fresh in their memory.

So, we're talking about MLS + USMNT + WC 2018,2020, right?

11. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Soccer+ already shows rugby.

My hope is that someday FIFA will sign contracts with networks like FSC to broadcast WC qualifiers from around the world.

12. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006
    I suspect 2018 and 2022 World Cup broadcast rights could be in the mix.

Ratings are improving, though depending on your definition, they may still "suck."

Either way, 2014 is going to be a very interesting year for soccer in the U.S.. Maybe they'll even get that NYC team off the ground by then.

13. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it in principle, but be wary of Comcast - they have a history of bitter negotiations with satellite and other providers that have left some of their stations - including Versus on DirecTV - dark for a long time (like a year).

Still, exposure is exposure, and hopefully MLS is getting good revenue for it.

It's nice that the ESPN games are still in play too.

I will miss FSC, they did a nice job producing. I'm surprised they didn't want to air 45 games (or perhaps pay what NBC did)...but maybe their revenue model is based on selling bulk order-from-TV ads atop replays of the EPL.

14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that true? Great news I wasn't aware of. My sense has been that MLS is a league where everything (attendance, sponsorhisp, stadiums) has been coming together with the exception of TV viewership.

15. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Aren't they too busy still making Gumbel 2 Gumbel?

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See Hemisphere, Southern. :)

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good News as long as Tom Hammond stays far far far far far far far far far away from these broadcasts.

Especially if they do this in HD.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Psst. Try this stuff. After a tough ride, you take a little bit and you'll recover really quickly. Best of all, they can't detect it on drug tests.

19. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember how Dick's Sporting had better MLS promotion then ESPN last year. I am putting some extra expectations on NBC not to screw up MLS.

20. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad MLS is going to be off Fox Soccer Channel, mainly due to its lack of reach. I think this new model is a great one - a few games on NBC, more on NBC Sports, more on regional sports networks and whatever left over goes to local broadcasters.

Basically, I want anyone with basic cable to be able to see every single one of their local team's games. And not having FSC meant I'd miss Red Bulls games that otherwise would've been on MSG. In my mind, giving up content to a niche network is only worth it if the money is great or if no one else will show it. NBC Sports will be a major upgrade over that.

21. fillmont

fillmont Member

May 20, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably my ignorance of TV deals showing, but will this affect regional coverage of teams at all? I ask because FCD away games are typically shown on Fox Sports Southwest here (and sometimes a local independent over-the-air station, Channel 21.)

Does the deal with Fox Soccer have anything to do with localized deals with channels like Fox Sports Southwest? Or is it just that the two are owned by News Corp without any real crossover?

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great point. What times are the games going to be played in Brazil? Will it be more of a prime time World Cup?

23. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dream would be having Gus Johnson calling in English, Andres Cantor in Spanish. The universe wouldnt be able to handle all the win

24. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    When Gold Cup bidding comes up again, Fox will have to step up BIG TIME otherwise I think ESPN is going to gobble it up. Final would have to be on Fox Network too.

25. billycanuck

billycanuck New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    AWESOME!

I am moving to the US in two weeks now I can watch my two favourite leagues on the same network (NHL MLS).