MLS & NBC Sports have agreed on a 3-year deal

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $12 millon a year. Does anyone know offhand how much MLS gets from ESPN, Univision and FSC today? I had thought it was around $20 million per year combined.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think the CBA covers 2011-2015; so the owners will have 1 full year to turn the new TV deal (what ever they get) to show a loss before negotiation with the union. ;)

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    How many of those 35 games are actually during the offseason? I count about 11 MLS games. Also, does this deal necessarily mean FSC will have no USMNT games?

4. Rulas

Rulas BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I feel that the issue of the tv deal and MLS is an "if you build it they will come" type of problem. If you put the league on a major network and package it like Major league, it will be treated like a major league.

5. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    I think you're right. ESPN $8M, Univision $8M, FSC $6M.

6. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    Both ESPN and Univ deals are worth around $8-9M. I can't recall ever seeing an article that quoted a figure higher than $10M/yr.

Of course, these numbers are likely an average for the life of the contract. I'm pretty sure that the actual yearly payout increases every year due to inflation.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    EPL and Champions League was the lions share of their business anyway so I suppose that would fill their schedule out pretty well. Serie A is also there, and I imagine maybe they'll try expand their League 1 coverage a little to maybe replace the MLS crowd. There's also room for expansion in other places like more Euro qualifiers and perhaps a new league like the Russian Premier League. They will still presumably show the CCL games and USL games so that's one way they can retain domestic soccer.

But back to the news ... this is an amazing deal. I wonder if this means a broader push into soccer by NBC? I wonder, is there room for La Liga or Bundesliga matches maybe on Versus?

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So next year, 8 + 8 + 12 = 28 million per year for the next 3 years.

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    NBC will have digital rights, too. Not sure what they'll do with them.

10. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like that--a game a week for three months or so. But the timing is the important thing. Next summer, the Euros are going to be on ESPN. FSC could have a few months with no live top division or international soccer at all between the end of the European season and the start of the CONCACAF Champions League.

And it doesn't mean Fox won't get any US games, but the pickings are going to get slimmer. They will likely bid on the next Gold Cup again, so they'll pick up some games there, but IIRC the 4 US games in the new deal are about the same number of games FSC was showing before other than the Gold Cup, if not more. There are only so many friendlies to be shared around.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the Canandian broadcast $$ should also be included. (Though I have no idea what the value is.)

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSC could also show more Argentinian games.. I think right now they are only showing one a week.

13. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    I also think that Lance Armstrong guy is going to do some amazing things. I'd keep an eye on him.

14. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Great news for MLS, even better news for us who have cable carriers that don't carry FSC.

I have Versus HD+ and looking forward to watching games on this network. VS had done a solid job for NHL games and I can only see good things coming from the "upgrade" from FSC.

I like Fox Soccer Channel and I'm thankful we have a network dedicated only to the game, but MLS will benefit more from having a broadcast portfolio of ESPN and NBC Soprts than ESPN and FSC.

15. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006
    It's worth noting that while the FSC deal was about 6-7 million for 2011, prior to 2011, it was 3 million a year. So this is a huge improvement in just two years.

16. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    You also need to include the international broadcast rights ... which were (still are?) owned by MP Silva.

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Only 45/7; b
    only 45 games. Why good bye?

19. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Keep reading the thread.

Summary for 2012: NBC/NBC Sports in. ESPN still in. FSC out.

20. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean I get to hear Cantor call MLS games? PLEASE SAY YES!!!

21. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, as of this January "Versus" will be changing its name to "NBC Sports Network".

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strikes me as potentially risky. If ratings continue to suck they may have all their eggs in the 2014 basket and risk not having any TV money growth.

23. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope the production quality is much better than what's on ESPN currently for MLS games. I like the fact there will be a pre-game show and post-game show, and also NBC is big on player interviews, so more MLS viewers will become more acquainted with the players in the league. There will probably be more storylines leading up to each games, MLS coverage on ESPN/FSC always lacked this kind of build up to games. The better production quality should be a big winner for the viewers, the network ratings and MLS in the end!

24. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    This is going to be an interesting detail to watch. The delivery of this kind of content still in its infancy, and this is a chance for some really big players to either go with inertia or do something interesting and innovative.

Hopefully it will also be the death of that abortion of a product, mls matchday live. Blech.

25. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    While I loved fox sports world/fsc for showing EPL matches first, I've hated their channel. Hated that Canadian based Eurosnob highlight show, hated their neglect of the North American game, and their shoody production for MLS games, and boy did they ever just get fugged.

BIG loss for FSC. Gotta think NewsCorps drama was at play here. MLS ratings have improved across the board this year, and the league has huge growth potential still. Hard to believe given the local and national implication this is anything but a big loss for FSC's summer lineup.

But great for MLS. Not only the money, increased exposure and 2014 TV deal, but a HIGHLIGHT SHOW. Hopefully they just pickup the MLS Review show. We should get a US based show focused on OUR league and OUR players (yanks abroad segment anyone?).

Great day for the game, this can only help.