MLS-NASL Partnership Critical for Youth Development

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Oct 21, 2012.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I think it would behoove SKC to restart a St. Louis team in USL Pro to keep their players close but open up a huge city their brand, product, and young exciting talent.

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dsc01762.jpg

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One option is to "promote" several PDL teams. If memory serves, the Richmond Kickers used to be a PDL team.

Chicago Fire already have Chicago Fire Premier, or they could use Des Moines.

Kansas City could use either Kansas City Brass or St. Louis Lions

New England and New York would have dozen teams to choose from.

Austin, Laredo, El Paso, New Orleans all have teams for Dallas and Houston.

The Timbers and Sounders have U23 teams in the PDL but they could also use a host of teams around the Seattle area.

Colorado could use the Ogden Outlaws or FC Tucson.

Or they could just create their own teams. I'm not sure how solid any of those brands would be to actually bother with "promoting." I do think it's more effective from a financial point of view to have a separate brand for your reserve side like in AAA baseball or AHL hockey rather than just calling them the LA Reserves.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Might see some of the more successful PDL teams move up to the USLPro. Des Moines has routinely drew very well and could make sense for KC or even Chicago.

West Texas, Ventura, Fresno other possibilities as well perhaps.

And a possibility even though not near the same area, El Paso Patriots for Chivas USA since the Patriots are affiliated with the parent Guadalajara club.

Real Corona repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I know business marketing but not alot about sports marketing but I think your right. When you segment your demographic markets you'll have fans that want to support the 'local' team but not really care about the development aspect and then you'll have to fans who wants to see and judge just how good the MLS teams prospects are. You don't want to alienate either segment and by calling them the KC Reserves may turn off the one segment that wants to support their local St. Louis team without care that KC is supplying alot of their talent.
    Your other point is good too but should have more to do with marketing heft, infrastructure, playing and practicing facilities, coaching, open to positive affiliate relationship and the like.
    It just dawned on me this is also a great way to introduce alot of MLS veterans into the world of coaching working with young professionals on their craft in the lower leagues. We need to start the ex-player coaching pyramid almost as much as the player pyramid.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the lack of clubs on the West Coast is a good thing, more of an encouragement for expansion, like in Vegas or San Diego.

7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    This could also open the door in a few years to maybe an expansion of the Super-20 League featuring MLS clubs, which is under the USL umbrella.

Play in the Spring/Summer so kids from college can play and 18 y/o's who are maybe signed to an MLS contract but not quite USL Pro ready. Although will college players, some would still be in school in the Spring. Which is also why I think MLS clubs need to promote to their DA players going to college that if possible, try and choose a program that isn't far away.

Or replace that idea with the PDL instead of Super-20.

SUDano repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not 100% sure on this but NCAA hockey players get in trouble all the time for playing in leagues with "professionals," aka guys who have contracts.

I'm not sure how NCAA soccer players could play with MLS guys who have contracts and get around it.

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I thought there was a thread last year dealing with an NCAA ruling approving amateurs not losing eligibility by only playing with or against professionals as long as they themselves don't reap any benefits from professionalism. Being the moderator you're probably better than I at the advanced search functions. During the summer alot of HG kids play with their MLS teams during the summer to accrue practice time to equal the one year eligibility plateau.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    This is correct.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow the ncaa close enough but just this year a Finnish hockey player was suspended for playing three games for playing with a pro for three games in a Finnish youth program.

12. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Men's hockey and skiing are excluded from the new NCAA rules regarding participation on professional teams.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know why?

14. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArc...fessionalism+proposal_10_15_09_ncaa_news.html

Real Corona repped this.
  15. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
  16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    [​IMG]IMSoccer News@IMSoccerNews
    Reliable source has informed me that MLS and USL PRO have reached agreement on incorporating reserve league into D3. News likely next week.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As we've repeated ad naseum on these boards.....................this could be a big step for the league & its young players.

It also offers stability to USL PRO, which they need badly.

dwsmith1972 and SUDano repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to follow some of these NCAA rules/proposals, I found the NCAA manual & here are some of the pertinent rules (assuming they haven't been amended again):

As others on the site here have explained to me, a player can play on a pro team before entering an NCAA institution as long as he isn't paid (MLS Reserve teams are okay in that case). But once they enter the school, he can no longer play on a team with pros being paid to be there, but he can, however, practice with the team while he is still in school.

ielag repped this.
  19. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is such good good news. stuff like this will help our players development.

we need regional leagues next. I would say splitting the country into 8 regions is a wise idea. it would make it easier to play each other and for development to grow.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just keeps getting better and better...:thumbsup:

Spursfan1 repped this.
  21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is. the more avenues available to play the better our players will become.

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I think it would also be important for every MLS club to have a PDL team as well, and not just in name like say the Fire's PDL team.

It'd have a much more professional approach compared to most of the current PDL teams, and provides training/games for Academy players returning home from the school year.

Which is also why I think MLS clubs need to establish a relationship with colleges nearby and try to persuade their players to go to these schools. There's already examples of Crew players going to Akron, Galaxy players going to UCLA and other So Cal schools.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing they have to watch out for -- another NCAA rule:

A member institution may permit not more than five student-athletes with eligibility remaining in intercollegiate soccer to practice or compete out of season on an outside, amateur soccer team (competition on an outside team permitted only during the summer, except as provided in Bylaws 17.20.8.1.1.1 and 17.20.8.1.1.2). (NCAA Bylaw 17.20.8.1.2)

ielag and Hararea repped this.
  24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Well that just sucks, what a dumb rule.

Wonder how these big programs decide which 5 can play in the PDL.

25. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse my ignorance on the topic, but what kind of impact is the USL-MLS agreement likely to have on the NASL? I know loan agreements to the NASL were few and far between, but it seemed like it was becoming more popular. Will all youngsters be sent to the USL?