MLS-NASL Partnership Critical for Youth Development

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Oct 21, 2012.

1. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Why shouldn't MLS teams just expand to 45-50ish? One reason why MLS is struggling to develop talent is because many young players aren't getting the playing time they need, but another problem is that there just aren't enough young players on each team. It's very difficult to tell which prospects will develop and which won't, so it's good to maximize your chances that some will develop by having a lot of them. If the extra players are all U-25 players making $33,750 per year (similar to how roster spots 25-30 are now), then the total cost of expanding the roster from 30 to 45 would only be around $500K per team per year. It seems like that would be a much smarter investment than spending 3 times that much money on Chris Boyd or 9 times that much on Rafael Marquez.

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    $500K is actually not a small number by MLS standards, especially when there's still teams in the red. Even the original clubs's that are maybe making some profit today, but are still trying to recoup the millions of dollars they lost over the years.

Look at how fickle the owners were in barely raising the cap in the last CBA.

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the more reason for developing players rather than just focusing on winning games.

4. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Easier said than done. Toronto tried to develop players and lost for years....where have their fans (and money) gone?

5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of idiotic moves made by management. I personally think that they shouldn't have let go of Prekki. If you can't get enough playing time for a kid then loan him out. Don't just waive the player and lose all the money you've invested.

6. pdxsoccerfan

pdxsoccerfan Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    If it results in some descent players developing, then it would probably be cheaper than importing foreign players. Besides, the reserve team could also generate some revenue that would offset the cost. In a market like Portland where people actually watch reserve games, the tickets sold to attend the reserve team games would likely produce more revenue than the player's salaries would cost.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland is a bit unique in that regard.

8. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    dwsmith1972 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Too simplistic for me. Toronto blows not because they are beginning to develop the infrastructure to develop players. The have made numerous poor player personnel decisions over the years weakening a squad with virtually every decision. Yes starting a few HGs before they are ready is one reason but falls somewhere way down the list of those decisions.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto's problem has been their decision to becom a Toronto sports team.

12. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    If TFC had brought in a president like Payne 2-3 years ago and didn't go out and bring in Rud Gullit v. 2.0, they would likely be in a much different position today.

13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    http://nasn.tv/2012/mls-working-with-usl-pro-on-reserve-league-integration/

Confused with the if there's already a local USL team, the MLS team would send just 5 players to that club. But if there is no local USL team, then the reserve team becomes fully integrated into the league.

Although this is likely a bridge year and it may take another year or two before we see the full plan laid out.

soccerusa517, Pl@ymaker and Real Corona repped this.
  15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    LoveIt. Finally, the start of the pyramid. Recognizes the fact many good young players need games for a long season. Let's young players get more than 10 games, emphasizing proximity to the MLS team and allowing partnership, information, coaching, and players to flow up and down the ladder to team mothership and team fueling station, real teams, real fans, building local allegiances, helping in the regional marketing of MLS team brands, merchandise, team sponsorships. The branding for MLs clubs take more of a regional approach while allowing USl-Pro to still have a historical brand and team for those who have funded and stuck through some rough times. Now I want to see how the match up franchisees to MLS teams and how that gets run. Devils' in the details.

Pl@ymaker and Real Corona repped this.
  16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be awesome!

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this means Roster expansions, say to 35 players for those teams with out a USL team near by.

BTW what MLS team has a USL team near by?

Galaxy and Chivas are the only 2 I can think of (Maybe Philadelphia).

18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I was trying to do the matching thing up too.
    Orlando City 57 24 17 1 6 50 18 8 0 4 27 8 9 1 2 23 10-New Team
    02. Rochester Rhinos 41 24 12 7 5 27 23 6 4 2 14 11 6 3 3 13 12-NE Revs Area DA team already affiliated with Revs. Theoretically 14 yr old could start w/Empire Revs DA-Rhinos USL-then NE Rev
    03. Charleston Battery 38 24 12 10 2 36 26 6 4 2 19 11 6 6 0 17 15-?
    04. Richmond Kickers 38 24 11 8 5 31 27 8 3 1 21 13 3 5 4 10 14-DC United
    05. Wilmington Hammerheads 37 24 10 7 7 34 32 8 1 3 19 7 2 6 4 15 25-?
    06. Harrisburg City Islanders 37 24 10 7 7 34 29 5 3 4 17 11 5 4 3 17 18-Union
    07. Charlotte Eagles 36 24 11 10 3 34 26 6 5 1 17 13 5 5 2 17 13-?
    08. Los Angeles Blues 30 24 9 12 3 26 29 4 6 2 10 16 5 6 1 16 13-LA Galaxy
    09. Dayton Dutch Lions 22 24 4 10 10 20 29 4 3 5 18 13 0 7 5 2 16-Columbus or Chicago
    10. Pittsburgh Riverhounds 17 24 4 15 5 20 39 3 6 3 14 21 1 9 2 6 18-Columbus
    11. Antigua Barracuda FC

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I guess depends on the definition of nearby, but

Philly and Harrisburg
    Columbus has Dayton and Pittsburgh
    Phoenix joins this year and could make a partner with RSL since they have their Academy not far away.
    Toronto and Rochester
    Richmond and DC
    Sacramento joins USL in 2014

I think this will also mean we see a lot more interest from prospective owners/cities in USL since there will be more controlled costs on their end.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United- Richmond

Columbus- Dayton

Philadelphia- Harrisburg

Toronto - Rochester

San Jose - Sacramento

LA/Chivas- Blues

RSL- Phoenix

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I beg all of you please do not partner Rochester with Toronto, for obvious reasons. To facilitate the pyramid structure we need to be partnered with Revs. Empire United affiliated with NE Revs becoming Empire Revolution. They cover Buffalo Rochester and Syracuse with a few players from outlying areas covering essentially all of Western and Central New York. Despite being about 2-3 hours further an important role of this announcement and the DA/USL alliance is to assist the American development structure, nothing is accomplished if a DA team is affiliated with Revs and the same geographic area USL team is associated with another team not in the US. To start this pyramid I can not express enough! that these alliances also need to be done with knowledge and understanding of allowing the DA team to also be associated to the local USL team and not another team. Eastern NY is close enough to drive to NE so all of upstate NY through NE should be geographically associated to New England to further help this structure and due to population NYC can keep local NYC metro through NJ. As I mentioned the devil's in the details and his detail is extremely important and shouldn't be done by a chimp with a finger and a map and more nuanced understanding of the ultimate goals and future evolution of this burgeoning pyramid ladder to help local players up through the ranks.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going to give you te benefit of the doubt that you didn't call me a chimp.

23. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i mean it'll probably be up to rochester and whoever negotiates with them to be their affiliate. So let's hope it's new england that partners up with them

SUDano repped this.
  24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Would be nice to see NE affiliate with every club in the Northeast Division of the USSDA, similar to what Philly has done, but still have the MLS Revs playing in the DA.

I envision a setup somewhat similar to Germany (sans pro/rel). MLS is Div. 1, NASL is Div. 2, then USLPro becomes similar to the Regionalliga.

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad that AC St. Louis no longer exists.