MLS/NASL partnership could do.

Discussion in 'NASL' started by eclipse02, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I was one of them. It's just rich to see a neo-Cosmos fan on the internet blast anyone as a hipster...

mng146 and Cactus Hibs repped this.
  2. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy, the Cosmos fans are hipsters meme again. All ~7000 of the fans at showed up every game, predominately Long Island soccer moms, youth groups, and a few 18-24 males, all of them are hipsters?

Oh, its just the Cosmos supporter groups that are hipsters? Pot, meet kettle.

penske repped this.
  3. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we all just get along?!!! (Just kidding. This is great.)

4. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't consider myself a hipster because I associate the term with folks half my age but I'll take it as a compliment. Likewise if being a neo-Cosmos is considered cool to hipsters than sure why not? My comments were more directed at people who aren't necessarily attached to a team in NYC... Of course with that said I find it "rich" that some LA fan likes defending Man City... What I also find "rich" is if the Cosmos had joined MLS would we even be having this discussion? Regardless it'll all play out soon enough until then in the words of a more famous Eric B:

"Yo, I hear what you're saying... So let's just pump the music up and count our money! Yo, well check this out, yo Eli! Turn down the bass down and let the beat just keep on rockin'... And we outta here! Yo, what happened to peace?"

PEACE

5. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmpphh, mmpphh... Oh sorry, let me get these words out of my mouth you stuffed in there. I'm not sure where you saw the word "all", but it's curious that you felt I blasted the entire fan-base of the NASL's Long Island entry...

I don't know how long you've been around here, but CosmoFan on BS has been well-represented by the cheer-for-league-formats, American-soccer-revolution, we'll-save-soccer shnozzle since before the Good Oil Sheik (as oppossed to NYCFC's "Bad Oil Sheik") bought the trademark of a dead soccer franchise. Theirs is not a group with perspective in over-abundance...

6. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you people don't want to be considered crackpots, you might not want to equate criticism of the LI Cosmos with praise of MYCFC/Man City-USA, it's somewhat Tinfoil Teddy-like...

7. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, almost certainly. Look at all the stick the Timbers and their microbrew fixie-bike beardo army get.

Points for the Eric B quote, though.

8. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You're threading deep waters now my friend, don't know what you mean by you people.Or LI Cosmos.
    1-Blanket statements are wrong 99.9% of the time.
    2-A geography review is in order.

9. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points for Albuquerque... That is all.

10. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've been posting since 2000 on BS and you want to talk about Tinfoil?

11. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NM Chiles por vida, ese.

Sam U El repped this.
  12. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You people" is referring to the small subset of CosmosFan who have been polluting this board since Pinton still owned the name, that their club, when revived, would Save Soccer in America. Which is absurd, everyone knows that was Seattle...

Is Hofstra not on Long Island?

13. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how being on this board for a long-ass time would make me a conspiracy theorist, it's actually made me more weary of people spouting off about "soccer revolutions", "open systems" and "real clubs"...

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they blatantly brand themselves as MUFC's offspring like Chivas did using Guad's logo, they'll be fine. They already have a leg up on Chivas by having a neutral name (New York City FC) which while sounding like Man City also is very accurate and representative of where they're from, New York City.

15. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup us people are all terrible. Maybe if this board wasn't full of trolls like you that harass every Cosmos fan we wouldn't be so pissed. Bring the hate we are use to it.

Like the Carson Galaxy...

16. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's ironic to me how you are so general with your " you people " statement, yet so specific with your LI Cosmos statement . I guess what ever is convenient to defend a pointless statement.
    Where do the NY Giants play? Jets? RB? Where is the Super Bowl this year?

17. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pfft... That only applies to the Cosmos cause futbol is so 'special' in America... Must be all the tinfoil. ;)

nanoGVSP repped this.
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know about you in particular, but I find that most self-identified Cosmos fans on BigSoccer refused to refer to the New York Red Bulls as the "New York" Red Bulls.

I find it rich when a Cosmos fan in general would complain the same treatment towards their team.

Both are in the New York City metro area. If you're going to get uppity about people calling the New York Cosmos the Long Island Cosmos, I expect to see you calling out fellow fans that use terms like New Jersey Red Bulls.

Because you'll totally do that next time you see it, right?

19. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #119 AmeriSnob, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    You can basically put Cosmos fans' motives into two broad, non-exclusive but mostly separate groups:

1. Ex-Red Bull/Metro fans who don't like the Red Bull name and who oppose NYCFC on the same grounds, and don't care as much about the actual location of the team in the five boroughs (the most vocal of which will use phrases like "brand extension" and "Man City USA")

2. People who want a professional team closer to where they live, some with a strict requirement of "within the 5 boroughs" but most would be fine with anything on this side of the river (the most vocal of which will use phrases like "NJRB" and the like but most of them don't care so much about Red Bull)

When the Borough Boys started, it was mostly camp #2. Now that it has grown and the Cosmos came around it is basically an even mix between the two.

But anyways, I think the whole Long Island criticism is fair, though for basically everywhere except for Brooklyn it is easier to get to than RBA.

20. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't think I'm getting uppity. To be honest I don't pay much attention to what is said about RB, furthermore I don't hate them. But you are comparing apples to oranges in a way. The relationship between a RB and a Cosmos fan is totally different than say a Cosmos fan and a LA Galaxy fan, A RB fan also has a claim to NY, so it's like a derby.

Sam U El repped this.
  21. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... Personally I think all bets were off once it became apparent that the Cosmos weren't going to MLS and NYCFC became the new shiny. I think having three teams within the vicinity of the metro area will do more to increase the appeal... If not for any other reason then to make New Yorkers who haven't really been "in" to the game to take a moment to pause and contemplate wtf is such a big deal that NY has to have three teams. I also think people in NY need more reasons to argue with each other... Derby isn't a bad thing IMO.

22. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree with these folks.

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    New York is a big area and there will be plenty of fans to go around.
    With the Red Bulls in the Metro North Jersey area, The Cosmos headed just outside the city in Belmont, and where ever in the city Limits that NYC will end up that fans from there part of the Metro will be on board with each of the clubs.
    New York City Metro always will have two or three teams in every pro sport.
    They are used to it. They are used to teams being in different leagues through their history.
    The contoversy and arguing that started among the three baseball teams that where from the 50's and before continue to carry over through the AFL Jets, expansion, Mets, The ABA Nets, An NHL team in Nassau County to a team even named New Jersey Devils to give 3 NHL franchises 2 MLS and 1 NASL are part of what makes the NYC Metro pro sports landscape so popular

24. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word on all that shit. If RedBull had any sports marketing brains, they'd rebrand their NJ club as New Jersey MetroStars. I know they are just across the state line outside of NY, but give those poor Jersey bastards something to feel proud of.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Are their New Jersey residents who aren't going to NYRB games because they're not the NJRB? Really?

If there really aren't, then why rebrand to New Jersey when there probably are some existing ticket buyers (and possibly corporate sponsorships) who exist because they are New York City's team?

I'm just not sure that they can replace from a captive audience without other choices what they stand to lose with such a change.