MLS MatchDay Live in 2011

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Johan S., Feb 12, 2011.

1. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shhhhhhhh.... ;)

2. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, this link will take you to an online chat page with Neulion for MLS support: http://mlssupport.neulion.com. One thing that I didn't think of was which browser I was using. I use Firefox 4.0b12 on both a Mac and PC and received the 'out of the US' message. My problem was resolved simply by accessing the Match Day Live page via Google Chrome or Apple's Safari. For anyone else who couldn't access the MDL page, what browser were you using?

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not even sure anyone here can answer this, but if I get MDL and I am out of town for work when say the Rapids play RSL in Utah, will it be blocked, even if I am in another state (Washington)?

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The blackout is determined by your IP address. So in your example the game would be available -- no blackout.

1 person likes this.
  5. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the message on both Firefox and Safari. Tried flushing my cookies on Safari and tried again. It still didn't work.

I sent a message to mlsmatchdaylive@neulion.com. I received the following curious message in return:
    Three things I take away from this:
    1. They didn't read my f***in' email, or they'd know I'm not from outside the US.
    2. People really shouldn't be signing up for this service until it's officially advertised.
    3. They are planning to make it available to at least some other countries.

Oh, well. I've got until 3/19 before I have to care. If I can't get signed up by then, I'll raise holy hell. (And so will a lot of other folks, because I can't possibly be the only one with this problem.)

------RM

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No blackout. I watched Rapids games on MDL while I was in Florida in October last year.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent, thanks guys.

8. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Decided to give it a try this year. 40 bucks is pretty cheap. Plus I like the thought of watching three games at the same time on the bigscreen (my laptop connects to my TV). If it ends up sucking, meh. At least I can say i donated 40 bucks to help keep the league financialy stable.

9. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Oh. Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering what was going on when that happened. :eek:

10. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ms01814

ms01814 Member

Aug 8, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Did the sign up page for Matchday Live previously mention iPads and TV connected devices? I don't remember that when I signed up last week.

12. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did for me on Friday.

13. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also mentioned by the powers that be in this very thread if I am not mistaken.

14. Nuke1990

Nuke1990 Member

May 21, 2008
    On this topic, was anyone able to watch more than one game at a time with last year's service? I have subscribed to the Match Day Live service every year that it has been offered and last year was the only year that I was only able to watch a single game at a time. I have an iMac and in previous years, I could open multiple windows and watch multiple games in either Safari or Firefox using QuickTime. With the switch to Silverlight last year, I could only watch a single game in the browser window. Ever time I tried to open a second game, it simply replaced the game that I was currently viewing. So I know that they claim that you can watch multiple games, but I was never able to do so. Was anyone able to actually watch more than one game at the same time using last year's service? If so, what was the process? Any help would be appreciated.

15. meherdmann

meherdmann New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    They had a picture in picture feature last year where you could watch a second game in a small window in one of the upper corners of the screen.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press release for the just release 2011 MatchDay iPad app, now includes live streaming!

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if I sign up for MDL on my iPad, will I be able to watch on my laptop (or vice versa)?

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind, the question is answered in the app. Its the same account and you can bounce back and forth at will.

19. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't seem to log into my MDL account on the app. There's no "Login" button after you enter your username and password. I can login on the website without issue.

(I was hoping I could use my iTunes account to pay for MDL by signing up on the iPad)

21. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas

This is freaking awesome.......... Just renewed MDL yesterday and now I can watch on iphone or iPAD. yeah MLS. finally staying on top of technology

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    awesome.

23. DarthGreedo

DarthGreedo Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Great news. I love that its now on Android and there is a dedicated Ipad app instead of just the iphone one. I also love the Airplay thing with IOS devices. I wonder if this will only work with videos or with the game streaming as well. i'm guessing only videos but you never know. That would be amazing.

24. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I go to mlssoccer.com, they want me to pay $39.95 for MDL.

When I go to the new app on my iPhone, they want me to pay $19.95 for what appears to be the same service.

I'm guessing the iPhone version, at least, is not the same as standard MDL. And I don't see anywhere to enter an existing MDL ID in the app.

Edited to add: Yeah, MLS just confirmed this in the comments section of the article. Even if you have a MDL subscription, you have to pay a separate fee to watch on the phone.

25. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just tried to watch a vid on the Android app and they vids aren't compatible with Android. :confused: Is that because the vids use silverlight?

Edit: I can watch the Daily episodes but not the goals of the week or anything.