MLS MatchDay Live in 2011

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Johan S., Feb 12, 2011.

1. sandog

sandog Member

May 30, 2008
    from mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/secure/registerform:

"2011 MLS MatchDay First Kick Special
    $39.99 (Regular price $59.99 returns on 3/28)"

Let me get this straight. MLS thinks their product is worth $59.99?

I mean Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon charge at most $8.00/month to watch TV shows or movies. ESPN charges cable companies somewhere around four bucks per customer per month (http://consumerist.com/2010/03/list-of-subscriber-fees-shows-what-you-pay-for-channels-you-hate.html).

MLS operates for eight months.
    A little math:
    39.99/8 = 4.9985
    59.99/8 = 7.49875

Opinion: Sorry guys. MLS can't even beat Mexican teams, but in their own delusion MLS thinks their product is worth top dollar. I don't think so... By the way, gas is $4.00 in Cali and still rising.

Also, Mexican games are free. On Telefutura, Telemundo, and TV Azteca. Mexican teams are winners because MLS teams can't beat them.

I welcome counter arguments, but whining is out.

2. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    what does this have to do with mexican football? mexican football is fine and all (although not nearly as great as it's fans like to think. sorta like us mls'ers.), but i really doubt someone who can't afford or doesn't want to pay the steep price, is going to watch FMF. It's in spanish for crying out loud, which the majority of us don't speak. no matter how good mexican football is, it'll never catch on in America with non-spanish speaking fans until there is english commentary. so never.

3. sandog

sandog Member

May 30, 2008
    My point is that Mexican soccer is free and MDL price per month is high.

Why do you need commentary? Can't you see the game for yourself? When the commentator says gooooooooolllllllllllll!!!!! That means they scored a goal. Simple.

4. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they raised the price to help fund the additional platforms they will support for viewing in 2011. I'm also sure the marketing geniuses over at MLS did their service comparisons vs. The "big 4" US sports, and didn't compare with Mexico where their soccer is the equivalent of the NFL here.

5. Seaside

Seaside Member

Oct 28, 2009
    You could just not buy it... The nice thing about MDL is the convenience it provides for many of us that are on the road a lot of weeks out of the year. $40 is more than reasonable considering I don't see Spanish language TV carrying more than 1-2 games a week...

Its the situation we're in and they're providing a solution. Complain about something else.

6. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By that definition, MLS games are also "free," or at least basic-cable "free," on ESPN, Galavision, FSC, and in almost every MLS market on local broadcast or sports cable networks. There are going to be three or four games most weeks in most markets, which is close to the number of nationally televised Mexcan games most weeks.

If you want to compare apples to apples, tell me where I can watch every single Primera game for free. If I'm a Jaguares fan, tell me how much it would cost me to see every single Jaguares game of the season in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

That's the point of this package. People who just want to see an MLS game can watch New York and LA every week on ESPN. People who want to see Colorado every week and don't live on Colorado have to pay a premium.

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Offer only available in Mexico. :rolleyes:

8. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are 306 games this season, for 459 hours of entertainment.

A little more math:
    $40/306= 13 cents per game. $40/459= 8.7 cents per hour of entertainment.

$60/306= 19.6 cents per game. $60/459= 13 cents per hour of entertainment.

For the cost of a ticket to one match (two if I sit in the cheap seats) I can watch every game in the league whenever I feel like it. It's a no-brainer.

9. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a TV. And I think $40 is a good price to avoid going to places like Justin.TV or ATDHE.net and get a crappy picture, maybe a virus, and have the feed cut out halfway through the game because of "copyright issues". I also watch Mexican soccer, which is good but seems to have just as many boring games as MLS. I would gladly pay another $40 for the Mexican version of MDL, but that doesn't seem to exist.

10. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Technical question regarding MDL:

If a game is already in progress, can I start watching from the beginning? Or do I have to wait until it is over and archived at that point to start watching from the beginning?

I've had the TV package the last two years, so I'm unaware of how the web interface works.

11. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I'm the same.

But my choke price must be somewhere between $40 and $60, because I don't think I'd pay the "Regular price".

12. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the 1st year im def considering buying MDL...I hope they broadcast all their games via Silverlight. I'm on the few that loves how clear the video is from using it

13. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can successfully access the MDL Registration page from other locations, but not my home location. I keep getting the "out of country" message when I try and access the page from home. I can't seem to find any listed contact info about MDL. Does anyone know if there is a support email or number I can contact?

14. javi7

javi7 Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Will they be using some alternate form of checking our location?? This better not blackout games in our credit card's address.

From Terms of Service:
    "Due to the blackout restrictions, you may be required to log in to each webcast (for both free and subscription fee webcasts) with a valid major credit card for address verification. In such a case, a temporary $1.00 authorization hold will be placed on your credit card, which will subsequently expire. "

15. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my experience last year was that the game broke into the live feed as soon as it loaded, but you could grab the time slider and pull it back to the beginning and watch the game from there, DVR-style. so as long as you throw up a spoiler shield when you first load the game, you should be ok.

16. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might also want to try contacting neolion or whatever that company name is that shows up before all the videos.

17. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silverlight has nothing to do with the video quality.

18. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, my experience was that yes, you can start watching a game already in progress and hit the "chapter back" button to return to the beginning. But there was one slight hitch: when the live feed concluded, playback would stop, no matter how much of the game you'd watched. The workaround was to start over and skip ahead to where you got cut off.

------RM

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year live local games were blacked out on MDL if you could (theoretically) get the rights holder's channel in your area. This caused a problem for Rapids fans last year as Altitude was the rights holder, and Altitude is available in Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska, etc., but Altitude sub-licensed the games to Denver's local CW affiliate. So everyone in those states where Altitude is available was blacked out, but only people in Denver could actually watch the games since they were shown on the CW affiliate. When contacted about the issue, even by the Rapids Managing Director Jeff Plush, Neulion did not fix the issue. They lifted the black out for one game (the game in Chicago that got moved) because not even the CW affiliate showed it, but that required the Rapids Managing Director to call Neulion and/or the MLS FO to get it done.

20. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, this is the last thing I wanted to hear, because I have the same problem. My only hope lies in the fact that MDL is still not yet officially on sale. (When it is, it will be plastered all over mlssoccer.com.) There could still be bugs to be worked out.

------RM

22. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    HAH...

No problems with suscribing, i was able to watch video just fine... Im all set for this season.

23. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe that anyone would be complaining about the price for this service. You get a lot of soccer for your buck. I pay over $20/month for NBA League Pass Broadband. That's expensive when you're only watching a couple of teams.

24. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let me see if I have this straight. Users from Indiana and Ohio are getting "out of the country" messages, while someone in Monterrey, Mexico has managed to subscribe.

Oh, yeah. These guys sure know what they're doing.

------RM

25. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    obviously i had to use a workaround... MLS is making it difficulkt for me to give it my money... ;)