MLS MatchDay Live in 2011

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Johan S., Feb 12, 2011.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a URL that takes you directly to the old player? Because there's obvious link when you go to live.mlssoccer.com.

------RM

2. sandog

sandog Member

May 30, 2008
    Warning this is a rant. The worst thing about this type of service is the blackout rules. They're totally stupid. No one is going to drop their cable because MLS Live shows every game live from any device, but Garber and the rest of the clowns running leagues in this country don't get that. People just want the option of watching some games away from their couches. The only way for MLS to get the point is not to purchase this service. Maybe Garber will notice. Check his spine. Find he has none, and then see if he has any cojones left to change this stupid rule.

3. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you figure it's the TV networks driving blackout rules, not MLS? I sincerely doubt MLS has any incentive to keep people from watching online.

-----RM

4. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    I would agree that it's likely the Networks making the blackout demand. I'm sure they have their reasons, as some clubs have games that aren't on regularly available channels. I know here in Vancouver some games are on Sportsnet One, which requires a full sports package and not just an extended cable package. Also between the raising cost, legal stream services, netflix, illegal streams and bittorrent tons of people are giving up their Cable.

Also here in Vancouver, our Shirt Sponsor Bell, sells live streaming of Whitecaps Matches for more than MLS Live costs. So without the blackout, this would now exists.

5. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how I think about it: blackout dates are the only times I have to go searching First Row Sports or justin.tv for a stream. And for me my blackouts only include nationally televised matches and San Jose matches (yeah, I guess Reno is in their market.)

So ~$0.18/match seems pretty damn reasonable. And there are a ton of subscription or membership services that have black-out dates... it's not just MLS.

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It's definitely the networks. They are paying crazy rates for broadcast contracts because live sports are seen as a major incentive for keeping satellite/cable service.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm in the same market, and I've actually found a surprising number of Quakes game aren't blacked out. Not sure if that's by design or by accident.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Don Garber doesn't have a spine because he lets local and regional sports networks use the same policy they use for EVERY OTHER FREAKING SPORT just to force you to buy cable TV against your will. He doesn't have a spine because, as we all know, there are TV networks just lining up to pay MLS millions of dollars to show local matches with no blackout rules in a way that young people who hate cable can get them when they want, how they want and with a heaping bowl of vanilla ice cream served every 20 minutes by a big-titted woman in a French maid outfit.

Spare us the rant, Skippy. This has nothing at all to do with Don Garber. It's how sports on TV work.

9. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw the young people, I'm pushing 40 and don't even like vanilla ice cream that much but I'll sign up for your plan.

1 person likes this.
  10. sedlie

sedlie Member+

Apr 5, 2011
    Re: MLS Live in 2012

Timbers STHs got the code today.

I emailed my ticket rep about it late Friday afternoon and he said they'd get it out this week. I'd suggest asking your ticket rep about it to get them to send it out.

11. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    The Union are very poor when it comes to communication. I'm sure we'll see the code sometime in July.

12. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/launch.jsp

If you don't sign in on the Live site, it'll make you do it in the console window and you'll have to start over. The first time that you actually get to the console it'll probably tell you you've timed out. After that, it's been clear sailing.

EDIT: Here's the console link itself.

http://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/console.jsp

13. ThaSaltCracka

ThaSaltCracka New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick question, if I am living in Seattle will I be able to watch Timbers games on MLSLive? They show some of their games up here on ROOT Sports. Basically a deal breaker for me.

14. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly non-National broadcasts of PDX matches were available on MDL last season in Seattle, however that being said I watched the RootSports broadcast and if another match was available at the same time had that playing on MDL.

Also if it has not been said you can use your old MDL user id when registering for Live, just make sure you choose the already registered link in the bottom left corner.

15. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It had me use my old id. I just reupped.

16. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just bought MLS Live. Bummer I can't browse around with in, regardless of whether I can play videos. I'm just interested in familiarizing myself since I'm probably going to spend a good chunk of the rest of the year on the service.

March 10th is going come even slower now....

17. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't decided if I'm going to buy this year, since I'm not a season ticket holder who gets the discount. One good thing--I went and uninstalled Silverlight off all my computers. Strangely enough, it seemed to have a conflict with attachments in Hotmail, another Microsoft product.