Post-match: MLS Matchday 17 : Crew vs. SKC

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Renteria is not only terrible but he seems to feel that he's a big star. Don't you have to DO something before you're allowed to become an arrogant jerk?

kgilbert78 and THOMA GOL repped this.
  2. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking for a Crew logo to copy this morning, so I did an image search for "Columbus Crew", and Yahoo gave me this. All too appropriate.

[​IMG]

DK021, Skeleton Crew, Crewmania and 6 others repped this.
  3. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams isn't an outside back. His first 15 minutes were shaky (I partially blame Birchall for the giveaway that led to the goal. He was flatfooted and didn't even attempt to receive the pass), but he did settle well. I just don't understand Bob's obsession with playing guys out of position. It just don't . . . make . . . sense.

4. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, a firey train wreck.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HA!! That is is an awesome comparison!

6. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooh, I wonder what the fanboys and girls think of him now? The little ball of hate, toro negro, any other comic book name people gave him doesn't mean manure if he's not doing what our monies pay him to do, score goals. But if complaining to USSF Sewage is in his contract, well............

7. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think RW's half-time quick interview summed up the death march that was to be our eventual loss when he stated "we not going to get many chances so we need to finish ones we get." Three to six quality chances that should have gone in or at least forced a save.

That is this issue here. (plus stupid, unforced give-aways but that's been beaten to death). We are relying upon luck to get goals because we have little potency in the finishing third.

8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nielson made 2 point blank saves (off Meram & Renteria), we hit the crossbar once, Tchani missed an empty net, and Renteria hit the side netting from 6 yards out. If 2 of those chances are put away, I'm gonna stop there actually . . . no point in fantasizing.

9. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like most if not all my comments about Mendoza. Seemed to be in the right place but if nobody is going to thread a ball through then ...

10. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Since I can't read dispatch.com anymore without paying $19.99 a month:

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2012/07/lineups-shuffle-not-enough-skc-attack

From Merz:

"Of course, there were the absences of injured midfielder/defender Danny O’Rourke and Milovan Mirosevic but the benchings of outside backs Sebastian Miranda and Nemanja Vukovic were out of the norm.
    Warzycha said the changes were simply because they were beaten for their spots during the week’s practices, but the reshuffling in the back proved costly when SKC scored six minutes into the game."

It is a joke that one of our most reliable performers for two years has to win a spot in the middle of July at practice for a professional sports team.

ZipSix, SourCream&OnionUtd and CrewV Man repped this.
  11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing wrong with competition for spots. I'm not advocating that our fullbacks should have been benched, but (usually) guys work harder and perform better when they know they're position is threatened.

12. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does it say to a player that one bad game will get you benched? Where is the trust and support from a coach? If you don't trust your players, how can you trust them to believe in your system?

eboe repped this.
  13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does it say? I don't know. I don't think that trust is really the issue. The problem is that Bob's "system" sucks and the squad isn't very talented.

14. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things....Is it me or are the sports writers starting to turn and get quite cynical over RW and the teams performance? Especially Merz.
    And it is a joke. As is the rest of the team right now.

15. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad someone else is picking up on this too. It seems that over the last month or so, Merz has been looking at the "Fire Bob" bandwagon and wondering if he wants to be on. I think Jardy sees it too.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  16. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defense is mostly about organization and communication. You can not switch 3 of the 4 from the previous week and hope for either. Unless Vukovic and Miranda were laying on the field reading poetry to each other during practice you don't bench BOTH of them. And Birchall and Tchani don't play well together. Renteria still needs to work on his touch.
    On the Plus side. Gaven, Meram and Duka looked good. Andy was good (not super human) and there was little he could do with those goals.

Micheluzzo, bloodyhand and Crewmania repped this.
  17. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I jokingly said that Williams gets better looks at goal that Renteria, and perhaps maybe we should swap Williams up top with Meram. After about a minute it didn't seem all that funny anymore.

I think I might be ready to retire from SGs. This isn't a rant against the Groups, so don't freak out. I just have been feeling very Danny Glover lately (I'm getting too old for this shit). During the RSL game was the first time I had sat down elsewhere from the North End-Nordecke since the V-Army days, and it was a really nice change of pace.

After 25 minutes of ranting between the four drunk guys behind me about about how there wasn't anyone there in the crowd (?), the EPL is better (?) and laissez-faire economics in a completely wrong context (?), well it just didn't stop from there. Lord knows I've had my share of being that guy over the years lol.

I might slide over for a while in a section where I can sit during the run of play, yet still jump up and yell when we string 4 passes together. Don't flame me or I'll throw my AARP card at you.

kgilbert78 and StatesideSoccer repped this.
  18. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Glad you had a good time, man. Sounds like a deal for sure. And I bet the mad guy wanted to punch our team lol.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Err, the paragraph about it being a joke is from a board member, not Merz.

20. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know....whats your point...Merz has been more sarcastic and critical in his writing the last two weeks...

21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We would welcome you in 107. I have been in my seat in row 13 since 1999. We are old but involved.

22. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    I think he should have to prove himself first.

As Cesar Millan says, "exercise, discipline, and only then show affection."

24. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will take some time to write & learn the song.....

25. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear it. Like I said we are usually I pretty nice bunch.
    Come back for the USA vs Jamaica. We would love to have as many fans as possible. Hopefully we will reciprocate.