MLS League Re-alignment, where does SKC go?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RjBass, Apr 10, 2014.

1. RjBass

RjBass Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of talk in the soccer world today about how or if the league will re-align when the season kicks of next year with Orlando and NYCFC joining the party. I wrote a crappy article with potential conference maps for my supporters group site yesterday. I just threw up idea's that I had been discussing with fellow fans at the tailgate party last Sat. Check it out if interested. http://wp.me/p33Ldl-qv

2. KC1996

KC1996 Member

May 11, 2013
    Man, we are definitely in no mans land. I prefer scenario 3.

3. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory, I'd like #4, but splitting up a couple of genuine rivalries (COL-RSL and TOR-MTL) will never fly.

I think #3 is most likely, but I hope St. Louis or Minneapolis can get an ownership group together for team #24.

4. RjBass

RjBass Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New rivalries form all the time that take the place of old dead ones. Does anybody really still consider Chicago to be SKC's biggest rival now? Most fans today would say Houston or even RSL now, and the RSL and SKC players seem to really hate each other and many of the best rivalries seem to start with the players first. I never really knew about RSL and CO before these conference conversations started popping up and a couple of RSL fans I know weren't aware of SKC and Chicago either.

5. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 but swap Toronto and Orlando... Makes a NE, Central, and Western.

6. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid point. Back in the old Western Conference days, LA was one of our biggest rivals. Now? Not so much.

Did anybody (outside of the SKC marketing department) ever consider Chicago to be our biggest rival?

YilmazOrhan repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Colorado FO will object strenuously to any alignment that breaks up Colorado and Salt Lake. I don't want to speak for the Salt Lake FO but the impression I get is that they would be equally against the idea. Unless there's some arrangement that states that they'll be in different conferences but they will be guaranteed at least 2 games every season (so each team gets a home game) I don't see that arrangement happening.

8. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Texas rivalry is a lot bigger than the KC-Chicago "rivalry", so I'd imagine that this offseason we see (1) or (3). Houston goes no matter what, and KC is a coin toss. Hell, they might even ask KC what they want to do - play in the East another year, or move to the West knowing that's where they'll eventually end up anyway.

I just don't want to see three conferences ever again.

henryo repped this.
  9. KC1996

KC1996 Member

May 11, 2013
    It would be nice if St. Louis or Oklahoma City joined the MLS. The way it's set up now, our "rivals" will always be who we're competing with in the standings (i.e. RSL, Houston)

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Highly doubt we will. Especially with the recent CCL seeding change that rewards being the other conference leader.

I mean, man, I kind of hope SKC goes West. Some really exciting teams to see in KC more. But I feel we would have a less dominant team to cheer for. Call me selfish, but I'm not so upset that SKC is one of if not the best team in the Eastern conference, as opposed to being an above-average to dominant team in the West. Winning feels kinda nice. Chivas is the only mess of a team in the West, and they're probably getting fixed before next year. The East has New England and DC and at least two of the three of Columbus, Philly, or Montreal to stumble around in the dark a bit.

11. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I have posted in a couple of other threads now, Robb Heineman said this on Twitter last week: "A world of conference realignment I would live in is one in which we play #rsl multiple times a year." Based on that and the rivalry with Houston, I will be very surprised if we do not go with them to the Western Conference next season (Scenario 3).

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I very much believe that the Sporting leadership wants us to be in the West. The question is whether or not it's up to them, I suppose.

13. RjBass

RjBass Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I missed that Tweet.

14. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why can't the conference winner with the lowest point total (of 3) simply not qualify for CCL, while the other 2 conference winners do?

socjoc repped this.
  15. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presumably that is precisely what would happen if MLS goes to three conferences. That is my personal preference, since it would keep SKC with both Houston and Chicago (and maybe Orlando, too), and I am not eager for more late kickoffs on the West Coast. However, all signs point to maintaining two conferences and shifting both SKC and Houston next year.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't see the league returning to 3 conferences.

17. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Speaking of "Rivalry", instead of KC, perhaps it may make more sense, to move Chicago back into the West, for the Brimstone Cup?

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen more Chicago fans care about as much about that as they do about us.

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Meh, I get what you are saying, but big fish is a small pond is kind of weak sauce, IMO. I don't think the West is so much superior to the East that we're a #1-#2 team in the East and the #3-#4 in the West. I think we've got a team that can compete with every team in this league, hands down. And I want to be able to play the Galaxys, Sounders', and RSLs of the league to prove it.

20. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I certainly hope you're right.

21. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't the east the strong conference, with 1-2 teams--one of them us--in the west that were good, back when we first moved to the east?

22. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    If there is expansion beyond 24 then you almost have to break out beyond two conferences. Heck, the NFL went to four divisions within conferences. Maybe there is some solution there, still two conferences, but subdivided.

23. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my .02

If they get to 30-34 teams I would like 2 conferences and 28-32 game seasons with the conferences not meeting until the playoffs, playing everyone in conference home and away. each conference champion gets a CCL birth, as does the Tourney champion. 4 groups of 4 in the postseason with 8 from each conference. 2 from each conference in each group. no home and away. 1 seed gets 3 home games, 2 gets 2, 3 gets 1, 4 gets 0. Top 2 in each group to the "elite 8." High seed hosts (or if enough time i would be OK with home and away in the knockouts).

But for the immediate future, I like being in the east because it does seem "easier right now," but I think we will prob head west to uphold our "rivalries" with houston and RSL...so 3 based on the op thoughts.

24. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Doubt MLS creates a schedule that doesn't include cross-conference match ups.

25. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Currently, I'd personally opt for the west, especially if Houston move with us. (Of course, things may change and grass will always be greener - can I change my pick if trends change later on)?

The true irony is if st L would come in in the East Conf and we are placed West. That'd fit the stereotypes perfect.*

But I worry about added west coast late starts. Harder for local media (and kids) to follow, and it's not like the current soccer calendar 'as is' is entirely traditional media friendly.

* oh, how I'd love to start the 'Why I Hate St. Louis' thread.

RjBass repped this.