MLS Jerseys = "RED" OVERKILL

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by napolivsavellino, Oct 31, 2006.

1. napolivsavellino

napolivsavellino New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    I live in TORONTO, ON....I AM CANADIAN...

but i really am sick of the ALL the RED in MLS uniforms....

chivas, fire, dallas,redbulls,rsl, and the revs have blue with red....and now us TORONTO fans will ahve to put up with MORE RED.....OUR CITY COLOURS ARE BLUE or DOUBLE BLUE (navy/sky blue).....

what happenned to the creativity and colour concepts of these teams???....I LOVE that colorado is going to marroon...i seriously hope in a few years, us in TORONTO can change our colours to anything BUT red....

anyone have any comments?

2. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Agreed. I think you've touched on how the vast majority of us feel.

3. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you communists loved red?

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Red Bull, a lil birdie told me that the away jerseys are going to be the new home jerseys and that they will be wearing blue away with red a third kit (for when we play QPR I guess...)

5. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously this topic is wroth discussing?:rolleyes:

6. Beto

Beto New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    NOLA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    red is a good color and all, but come on now mls!

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine MLS simply follows (unintentionally) the same pattern you see around the world or in other US sports (college or pro). Red is likely the most popular color to use in uniforms.

8. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the fact that Houston Dynamo went with Orange. I'd like to see the next expansion clubs to sport colors such as Green, Purple (like FIORENTINA), and maybe a combination of other colors other than red.

9. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Red's alright. You just need some white sleeves to balance it out.;)

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMPLAINTS ABOUT MLS Jerseys HAVING TOO MUCH RED = "THREAD" OVERKILL

Seriously, this topic has been whined about in a million different threads already. Did another need to be started?

And wow, no one has EVER suggested purple for a uniform color before...

:rolleyes:

11. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    maybe it could be an english influence +)

12. Armis36

Armis36 Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Garland, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: MLS Jerseys = "RED" OVERKILL

Every club should be able to choose which ever color it wants without having to ask permission from the league.

It's up to the clubs, no one else.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    ideally, the team club colors and jerseys would be based on the city flag.....

14. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least it's not the gawd awful teal which was the official color of expansion teams in US sports in the 90s . . . Man, that was and still is sickening

15. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Yeh we've overdone the topic :eek:

But it should be noted:

The MLS is trying to "develop da c-red" by copying everything from the leading world leagues.

Real... FCD... Arsenal... TFC... Dynamo... with more poser names to come for sure. If I were a Crew, Wizards, Fire fan I'd be very worried.

The switch to all red and blue is just MLS wanting to be the EPL. Colorado switched to Avalanche colors but c'mon we all know they had Aston Villa/West Ham in mind.

There is this thinking that hey, if our teams have Euro names and 3/4 of the teams wear the same two colors we will be seen as a legit league.:rolleyes:

That is ridiculous. No, do not ever go back to 96 but... man, this is the other extreme. Business suits are more varied than MLS. Zzzzz.

The point is MLS is desperately trying to join the big boys, but loads of red and poser names won't make the league better or more entertaining if the quality of playing does not improve. And right now while MLS has come a long way, most games are still kinda boring. There is no flair or flavor.

16. DCampos

DCampos New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    There is nothing wrong with Toronto or Dallas' names. If anything, those two teams got it right. FCD, and TFC are not poser names at all. I love the simple name of the city or area as the team name. I love it WAYYYYYY more than a name like the "Wizards". Save that cutesy crap for the NBA. Let the FANS invent their own nickname(s) for the team.

I will agree though that "Arsenal" in Colorado pisses me off. Millions of people (who care to even read about the name change) are snickering. I do however like the colors.

And as for the "Red" everywhere...... lets look at the EPL shall we?? Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Charlton, Sheff U. Thats a lot of red too. Theres only so many colors to go around guys.

Come on L.A.!

17. wacki26

wacki26 New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Maybe the reason they all pick red is because that is the color of their financial records are in the red for the first 5 years. LOL
    Oh well, would like to see some maybe dark blue and neon green or any dark color with a light neon color accent for the home jerseys and the neon jersey and dark color for the shorts for the away unis. The Barca uni's are a good example of what I'm getting at here
    Just a thought

18. pjae

pjae New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    new york state
    we have an old galaxy jersey which is total crap. it's a funky teal and the material feels like something you'd wear if you worked at taco bell. bizarre. i'd like to see some colors other than primary, but purple won't show up on the pitch, even green is iffy, especially in a place like giant's stadium (only 1 more season!). the red IS overkill, but what if we all went orange!?!

19. dhab

dhab New Member

Feb 23, 2007
    New york
    i somewhat agree with the excessive use of red in teams uniforms, but just to put in my thoughts, i really like all of the old mls jerseys that nike made (san jose clash, galaxy, dallas burn, mutiny, metrostars..etc

20. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only has this thread been beat to death it is also ridicluous. I mean this league clearly needs more blue teams. :rolleyes:

21. napolivsavellino

napolivsavellino New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i completely forgot i started this thread!

this topic has been discussed more then enough....BUT....all im asking is for a little creativity...

dont even get me started on how my beloved raptors changed their colours......(even though i do hate the nickname raptors)...

22. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    I posted the following in a different forum, but it certainly makes more sense here...

In the Premier League only Fullham is not using shades of red, blue or both. That's one out of twenty! And even Fullham is actually having red in their logo.

In La Liga it is 4 out of 20 with Real Madrid, Valencia, Betis Sevilla and Racing.

In Ligue 1 it's 4 out of 20 - Nantes, Saint-Étienne, Toulouse, and Lorient.

In the Serie A its 5 out of 20 - Udinese Calcio, Fiorentina, Palermo, Siena and Ascoli.

In the Bundesliga it's 5 out of 18 - Werder Bremen, Borussia Dortmund, Borussia Moenchengladbach, Wolfsburg and Alemania Aachen.

Looks like allmost everyone is unimaginative in Europes top leagues. Less than 20% are spared from red and blue! Well, since it's only 15% in MLS, there is much to worry about, of course...:rolleyes:

Red and blue are primary colors and they generally look good. So what's wrong with looking good? Would you rather have colors you can hardly wear, just to break the norm?! Don't you think that might reflect badly on the teams popularity? Or on jersey and merchandize sales? I mean, don't get me wrong, I also like to see originality, diversity and distinctiveness - but it's much more important to me that my team colors are attractive and wearable.

As long as people like the colors red and/or blue, teams will have it. And I don't see the day coming they abandon them in the States...

23. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    Here is an interesting read for you guys...

News
    May 19, 2005
    Scarlet Uniforms Linked to Success in Sports
    By Sarah Graham

Competitive athletes are always seeking ways to improve their performance. The results of a new study indicate that they need only look in their closets. A paper published today in Nature suggests that athletes wearing red uniforms experience a slight advantage over those decked out in other colors.

Russell A. Hill and Robert A. Barton of the University of Durham analyzed the outcomes of four sporting events in the 2004 Summer Olympic Games: boxing, tae kwon do, Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling. All of these competitions involved two-person matches in which the competitors were randomly assigned either red or blue outfits (or body protectors). Their results indicate that the crimson-clad athletes had a small, but statistically significant, advantage and won 60 percent of the time. This effect was seen only in symmetrical contests in which the participants were evenly matched, however, so a new red jersey won't suffice to haul an athlete out of last place.

The scientists also investigated the effect of red togs in team sports by analyzing results from the Euro 2004 international soccer tournament, in which teams wore different color uniforms throughout the event depending on their competition. Comparing five teams that had red shirts as one uniform choice, they discovered that the teams performed better--and scored more goals--when playing in red versus white or blue uniforms.

Hill and Barton surmise that the benefit of scarlet uniforms is tied to the evolutionary psychology of color. For a variety of animals, the authors note, red coloration is a sexually selected signal of male quality and the presence and intensity of red coloration correlates to male dominance and testosterone levels. Thus, athletes facing off against opponents sporting red uniforms might subconsciously feel thrown off their game. Hill and Barton conclude that further investigation in the field is warranted and that "the color of sportswear needs to be taken into account to ensure a level playing field in sport."

Source: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=00012150-ADC5-128B-ADC583414B7F0000

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo fans would hunt everyone down and slaughter them:rolleyes:

That's our color. Get your own. Be creative like us and stand out for a change. ;)

Interesting piece about the red. But that doesn't explain why the Yankess were so successful for so long....'course they suck now and will continue to suck as they throw $$ at their problems....but that's for a different board. Hmm...the Cardinals and Red Sox won 2/3 of the WS the past two years....hmmm....

In MLS, though, the past 2 didn't have any red :D

25. CU912

CU912 New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Im still waiting to see some Celtic Green on an MLS team.