MLS in the Southeast

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by alexp92, Mar 31, 2008.

1. 91TFC

91TFC New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Thanks.

2. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i dont really want to see teams get relocated, and i think teams should be kept closer together as expansion continues for more rivalries. but i just turned on the crew vs chivas game on direct kick, and the crowd is just embarrassing. relocate them for the better of mls!;)

3. MLSTAMPA

MLSTAMPA New Member

Apr 13, 2008
  4. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I'm all for Orlando :)
    With Chelsea signing that 4 year(?) deal with Disney, I hope it can bring a bit more interest here in Central Florida.

BTW: Anyone here regularly attend the Disney Cup?

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lest you forget the huge number of Hispanics? That's why I personally think Orlando would be a better fit than Tampa. But Miami first.

7. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    He was being sarcastic ;)

8. BlackCoffee&Bourbon

BlackCoffee&Bourbon New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Monticello, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Any news on the Miami SSS? Is this dead in the water or slowly making progress?

9. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funding for and construction of a Soccer stadium will
    not commence until Major League Soccer awards Miami an expansion
    franchise. We are waiting on investors to step up.

10. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have teams in Miami,Tampa Bay(Bay United) or Orlando. But with the Jaguars possibilities of moving to LA, Jacksonville might be a good choice, but I am not sure.

Other cities in the Southeast that might support soccer are Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville and maybe Louisville. I dont think Memphis,Birmingham,Mobile or New Orleans would but who knows.

Other than Canada and Puerto Rico, I dont see how having international teams in the MLS would help gain support from Americans.

11. Tetello

Tetello New Member

May 5, 2008
    PabloM.
    Will all due respect, this type of thinking is back-ass-words and is the reason why sites like St.Louis, Montreal and even Vancouver are ahead of Miami in this race for the final 2 spots! Garber has made it VERY clear, SSS are mandatory for a city to be granted a franchise. For the first time EVER, the MLS is in drivers seat and in the position to be able to pick and choose from a list of cities. Look at Philly…many will say that they got it because of the SOB, but until plans for a SSS were approved, the MLS wouldn’t bite! We need to get Braman off Diaz's back and let them go forward with his plans to revamp the Orange Bowl area.

12. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about Braman, he needs to be stopped. But the city is not going to build a stadium without some kind of commitment from the league or perspective owner. The soccer stadium concept has already been approved and the wording is in the Marlins Stadium Agreement. They are just waiting for an owner to step forward and for Braman to go away.

13. Tetello

Tetello New Member

May 5, 2008
    Really?!?!? So you're saying the part of the plan to build a soccer stadium is approved and will be paid for fully by the city (assuming Braman backs off) once an investor steps up to sponsor the $40+ million for a team? The latest article I saw in the Herald was that Diaz's plan was on hold and meeting the deadline (June 1st) to include a SSS was not looking good.

14. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    ill give him an offer he cant refuse:cool:

15. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The June 1st deadline was never going to be met. It was unrealistic and put in place by Loria. If Loria becomes part of an investment group like was rumored then that deadline can be moved. The city never offered to pay for the stadium in full. The deal was they would put up $50 million and the MLS investor would put up another 50 mil. And now because of Braman the whole thing is going back for more discussion amongst the County Commissioners. Braman's problem is the Global Plan being approved without the public voting. Not many really have a problem with the SSS, it such a small blip on the radar. Basically if the Marlins deal goes through and an MLS investor group steps up then the SSS should happen. The way I understand it.

16. Tetello

Tetello New Member

May 5, 2008
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification! I think it’s safe to assume that the Marlins stadium will happen someway/somehow (look it up in Wikipedia and it has a picture of a SSS in the background!). But then from what I read, we need an investor to come in with $100 mil ($50 for stadium/$50 for team, MLS). Ugh!!!