MLS in SLC Part II

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by mattie g, Jun 18, 2004.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It's nice to see this SLC thread hasn't degenerated into some silly babble abuot the mormons. Keep up the good posts folks! :cool:

2. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    So I just heard some news that I promised I wouldn't let out. Even though pretty much everybody here seems to know its happening anyway, I feel I shouldn't give the source, but anyway, apparently Checketts will be making some sort of an announcement Wednesday. What that announcement will be (moving an existing team, creating a new one, or calling the whole thing off) I am not sure, but my source claims: "It is pretty much a done deal".

So I guess mark another one down in the "Information with no proof" column that is so popular on these boards.

3. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I really doubt that the league would announce any franchise re-location in the middle of a season. A lame-duck franchise is seriously bad for business (see Houston Oilers, Charolotte Hornets). Any relocation announcement would happen in the off-season.

If your source is real and correct, SLCSC will be announced as the expansion team in 2005 or in 2006 or not in the immediate future.

4. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Good thinking. Here's another thought: Considering the only rumor Checketts has ever confirmed is that he is "interested" in bringing a soccer franchise to Salt Lake City, why would he have a press conference or an announcement to say that he isn't? It seems like he would only have to announce he wasn't bringing a team here if he had already announced that he was. If that's the announcement, why doesn't he just not do anything? Maybe this is wishful thinking.

5. Filho do Dragão

Filho do Dragão New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Uma Nação
    Guys. You are missing the obvious name for the new team: Utah Saints.

Hehe. You could have techno music blasting in the stadium. "OOOO oooahhhhh! OOOO OOO ohhhh aahhheeeeee! Ooo...something good is better. Yeahh!". :D

Seriously, I don't how you can generous a genuine futebol atmosphere in that town.

6. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Have you ever been to Salt Lake City? If you have you must have spent your whole time at Temple Square. We are very passionate about our sports teams. Do you realize how many cities worldwide have religious backgrounds? Do you think Roma or Lazio fans recite Ave Maria at Stadio Olimpico? But according to your "logic," they must be too busy going to church than to "generous a genuine futebol atmosphere." After all, it's Rome, as in the Roman Catholic church!

Why don't you go "generous" stupidity somewhere else.

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, that Utah Saints joke is SO original. Absolutely hilarious! You're the first one who's thought of that. Seriously. Good job. Wow.

[/sarcasm]

8. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    Filho do Dragão não é nome correto por você, infelizmente acho que não posso usar o nome correto no BigSoccer, mas é filho de alguma coisa.

Go back to your porto boards, Dork, and don't darken our doorstep again.

9. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ummm... hello, the dude was probably refering to the band.

11. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    Agreed, though having been given an album of theirs from a friend (since I'm Mormon, though not from Utah) it may well be best to forget the band entirely.

12. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah it was the not being able to "generous" a goot football atmosphere in that town comment that rubbed me the wrong way. What else could he be referring to if not the religious background? Unless he believes that we are a bunch of techno lovers because of that band, in which case:
    A. His idea of SLC is even more skewed than I thought
    B. We would be able to support a team like the techno lovers in Europe!

13. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never been to a U of U basketball game, have you, when an arena full of Utah fans is in full voice?
    [​IMG]

Go troll elsewhere.

14. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya its pretty sweet. utah football has taken off this last year also. averaging like 42,000 per game.

15. Eric Bekins

Eric Bekins New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    WVC, UT
    Keep working at it, li'l ute!
    [​IMG]
    BYU average football attendance = 62,000

And I say call the new MLS team the Utah Legion. I might even buy a five game ticket package and commute from here in San Diego.

Or how about calling the team the Stonecutters? The Salt Lake Temple was built with stone from a nearby quarry, and the name connotes a kind of Masonic, secret society thing,... maybe!
    They could sing the Stonecutters song to open every game!

Who controls the British crown?
    Who keeps the metric system down?
    We do! We do!