MLS in SLC Part II

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by mattie g, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Okay.. I mis-read co-owner as co-owners :eek: ..
    "According to Salt Lake media reports, both Checketts and Eric Jacobsen, co-owner of the Pro Soccer League Utah Blitzz, have put together separate potential ownership groups, each willing to come up with the required $10 million expansion fee. Reportedly, Checketts' group put down a $1 million deposit for the rights to a team."

2. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No worries, we got it cleared up.. I still have yet to find any information about this report coming from ABC4 yesterday... I sure hope it is accurate.

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh!!! Good one!

Let's welcome the newest addition to MLS ... the Seattle Boom!

- Paul

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Oh, geeze, what at all could you be trying to say with a picture from a time when the media called a presidential canidate the winner when they weren't?
    :)

5. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Internic.com says that no one has registered utahboom.com or saltlakeboom.com

But I did not check Seattleboom.com

6. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone heard anything else about this "news"? I find it odd that no other station is reporting this and there are no other sources to substantiate this claim. While I seriously hope the news is true, I feel sick to my stomache to think that the team might be called the "Boom". Is Utah so cursed that we can't do anything EXCEPT pick stupid names for sport franchises? I seriously hope that IF the expansion rumor is true that SOMEONE will pull their head out long enough to put their foot down and squash this one. Otherwise we'll end up like a boy named "Sue".

jason

7. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
  8. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    Checketts made his first comment in a while to lay down the rumored Boom name. Also it looks like the Deseretnews reporter has visited sites like BS since he states that internet posters spent most of yesterday hammering the name.

As for names IF the team happens, I like SLC Legion or Utah Legion. There was my club team's name for 8 years - the Insiders. The name made no sense but we loved it.(Not a real suggestion).

Another interesting point made by the Deseret News is the prospect of a stadium west of the Gateway complex in downtown SLC and a company named Cherokee Investment Partners. It does appear that the city is involved with the bidding. It could be the first thing that Rocky Anderson did that I would agree with, though I am sure if he is going to offer land or something it would be with the stipulation that the team caries the SLC name.

9. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I have my doubt the reporter actually checked fan opinion on websites or elsewhere. Common sense could allow you to state such a reaction occurred.

Notice this statement?

The 36-game MLS season runs from April to October, with 10 teams. The league says it wants to expand to 16 teams by 2010.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595075008,00.html

So SLC will play 6 extra games!

10. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, you'd think when the league hits 16 teams that they'll play 32 games in the regular season.

11. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    " Whether all of this happens, Checketts insists the team will not be called the "Boom," as originally reported on KTVX. This should come as good news to soccer fans in Utah and across the country who spent much of Saturday bashing the "Boom" as the worst nickname in sports history."

Can anyone think of a worse name in sports history? :eek:

12. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oakland Stompers
    The Caribous of Colorado...fear the fringe...

13. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    That is bad.. :rolleyes:

14. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nice. Looks like this poll is going the way most do when we get a whiff of them here on BS. If we decided to stuff every poll, BS posters could have Joselito Vaca elected president...

I'm glad "Boom" was yellow journalism, but I hope the fact that SLC gets the team isn't!

15. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, Boom was bad.

16. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    There's always a chance they'll come up with something worse.. :)

17. Americano e Orgulho

Americano e Orgulho New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    What, you mean something like Boomerzz?

18. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    :eek:

19. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    I'm just connecting dots and wishing here...

This is twice that the Checketts have said basically that the announcement will be made later by the people charged with making these type of annoucements. Rocky (SLC mayor) saying that he didn't feel comfortable discussing the annoucement- that it would be made in a couple of weeks.

I get the impression that the league doesn't want another loose canon a la Vergara.

Garber: "We will do this our way."
    Checketts: "OK." walks to rental car, lets out a big "WOO HOO!"

People in Cleveland are trying to get the spotlight back on them. Checketts et al is laying low, busy as beavers, waiting for the announcement a week before the all star game. Then at the all star game broadcast there will be footage of Garber & Checketts, maybe even a jersey. Plenty to talk about at the half: WCQ and expansion, no mention of Madrid.

The talk of a stadium west of the Gateway is interesting. The Gateway is Rocky's baby. When he leaves office he will have a different legacy than Didi. Didi=Olympic scandal/ Rocky=Gateway and Huntsman Stadium.

There was talk of a SSS in Sandy. A look at the map on the wall of the Sandy Parks & Rec building shows that there isn't much land available for a SSS and parking. The gravel pit across from Alta View is closing up but residents are pushing for a nice quiet park while someone has proposed a Walmart on the site.

And yes, Checketts did say the team would not be the Boom. He did not say "geez, we don't even know if we have a team and why would we pick such a lame name?" The reported comments tempt me to read between the lines and come to these conclusions/wish list.

The wife has already signed off on it too. "Christmas will be easy this year. Season tickets and jerseys and were done."

Go Golden Spikes!
    Go Gulls!
    Go 47's!
    and for the hardcore Utahns...
    Go Ligers!

20. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A whopping 85 people have voted in that pole... 80% in favor of the team. Way to go BS. As for the suggested names above, where do they come from and what is their attachment to SLC or Utah?

21. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it 87 on the vote. Wish I could help you on all of the references...but here are some:

'47 refers to 1847...the year that the Salt Lake Valley was settled by Brigham Young and his pioneers.

Golden spikes you probably have figured out. The linkup of the two railroad companies that were building the transcontinental RR was a Promintory Point in Utah.

Gulls refers to the seagulls that devoured a horde of crickets/grasshoppers that were threatening the pioneer's crops.

Ligors...well, I guess having been away for over 30 years has taken it's toll. I don't have a clue.

And I've got a question for my SLC bretheren...where is the Gateway? Clearly things change over thirty years, and I've not been back so haven't a clue.

And have a happy 24th of July, Utahns (kaiser kraut, it's related to '47 above).

22. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    Not being from Utah but living there for a little while I think I can explain Gateway. It is an outdoor mall mainly that is filled with high-end stores and eats associated with condos and luxury apartments. It is located west of the Delta Center about 6-8 blocks west of Temple Square. For KK it is similiar to Easton Town Center but more compact with two levels. Really nice shopping actually.

IF Utah/SLC gets a team I hope they find a name that mainly avoids the Mormon/Non-Mormon (I hate that term) debacle that surrounds the Salt Lake Valley. Every little thing sets off both sides and I am sure that Checketts will try to avoid that. He is going to want to have both groups attend games, so I doubt you'll hear anything like '47ers or even seagulls. I don't think Buffalo Soldiers is very appropriate either. Now if they got the Quakes (they won't) they could keep the name and get Jello as their main sponsor (Utah has the highest per capita consumption of Jello in the nation, something they are oddly proud of). So look for some type of name that either ties into the mountains or has nothing to do with the region. The bryne flies are a Salt Lake classic, but not a very good name.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic, but, huh?

A 16 team league would, logically, play 30 games...home and home.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. On a serious note, I think Bees is a great nickname. And it will be alot of fun for headline writers.

2. On an unserious note, please, please, please, in the name of all that is holy, name them SLC Punks! That'll get you the Matthew Lillard fan club demo.

25. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    That would be sweet; it was a great flic.