MLS in SLC Part II

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by mattie g, Jun 18, 2004.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know the seagull is sacred to Mormons. Interesting. That may explain the stange name of the Las Vegas Seagulls who played in the ASL in 1979. I was told by my dad (I think) that the owner had a yacht on Lake Mead, and he named the team because of the seagulls he saw at the lake, although I don't remember seeing many seagulls myself. Las Vegas has a huge Mormon population and was actually initially founded as a Mormon fort. Yeah, you think it is a mafia city, but it was a Mormon city first.

- Paul

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The Boom? Congratulations. you just outdid the Clash, the Burn and the Wiz for the dumbest MLS name ever. Which as we all know places you on the list for dumbest team name ever. Heck, this is in Minnesota Wild territory.

3. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    i remembered correctly.

http://pioneer.utah.gov/gull.html

4. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    1) First of all....."Heck", yeah!!

2) I think saying the seagull is "historically significant" would be more correct than to say that they are considered to be "sacred". Just a minor clarification.

3) Ok, I'm excited if this is all true, but I'm being honest when I say that I would have second thoughts about buying "Boom"-related items -- especially being seen out in public with them. I mean, "Boom"? Seriously, who can we e-mail about this to stop it before it begins? Does Checketts have an e-mail address? That's just plain sad. There have been some really dumb names suggested in this thread alone, but I think that i'd rather have any of them in place of "Boom". Anyone listening out there? Please.

4) Yeeeeeeeeahhhhhh, baby!

5. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    The boom makes the oft suggested Buffalo Soldiers sound like something that rolled off the pen of Robert Frost or the like. Can't we just have something nice and traditional. The Pioneers, the Gulls, SLSC, the Cougars, I could go on and on. Anything would be better. Shoot it's a desert around here, why don't we see if we could have the Burn as our name...oh, well, I guess that wouldn't be much better.

Really now, I wan't an email address as well, does anyone know how we can get ahold of someone like Checketts so we can beg for something a little more classy and a little less Arena Football? Please, I want to write the guy. Would it help to write the sports guys at the TV station, so they could relay our concerns when a press conference or something comes to pass?

So this is for real then? Is ABC spitting out rumors, or what? What's the source? I really want to believe it.

Oh, and Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

6. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    the seagull is both sacred to the mormon religion (well, I wouldn't say sacred, but it was important in its history) and the state bird of Utah. Since Utah was founded by mormons... yeah. The story is not to long after the mormons migrated out of missouri, they got what are now called "mormon crickets" all over all of their crops. The crickets ate and destroyed everything. Nobody knew what to do, but sure enough, seagulls would eat the crickets, go throw up in the river, and then come back for more. I don't think anybody understands "boom", and I doubt it will stay boom. I would die if it was utah gulzz. Utah gulls is okay, I hate the double Z. It really isn't cool.

PS if anyone has questions about Utahns or mormons, ask me. I'm both ;)

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You know, the scary thing is yeah, it is much better.

8. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Ok, I vote for Gulls. But a 'zz' ending would be terrible. will look forward to hearing the news about this development in the near future.

9. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I like "Gulls" as well.

Of course, this is all still based on one report. But it's a TV station, so it MUST be correct.....right?

10. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    I had an idea, maybe it's too much, but I think it would be awesome myself. What about Deseret SC, the mascot would be a bee, but it wouldn't be in the name. Deseret is the original name that Utah tried to enter the United States under, and apparently means honey bees or something - a honey bee colony or something like that. They could have a crest that looked something like this: [​IMG] (maybe sans the bees)with DESERET FC written accross the front. It's cool and original and all that. I do like the Gulls as well, a crest with a gull on it would be nice to look at as well.

11. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Hmmm... Bees.. How 'bout "The Salt Lake City Buzz"..(sorry) :eek:
    Not much worse than "Boom"..

12. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    uh.. perhaps you didn't know, but our old AAA Baseball team was called the Salt Lake Buzz. They wisely changed it to the Salt Lake Stingers. I would be fine with Gulls. I'd like to see Salt Lake Gulls or Salt Lake something-or-other, rather than Utah something-or-other. I'm not sure why, I just think it sounds cool. Deseret FC would be cool or how about Wasatch FC?

Maybe Checketts is actually a soccer-hater who is trying to undermine the sport by naming the team "boom"

... boom?

13. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I think an E-Mail campaign is in order here! They just can't use that name. It's down right embarressing for the future team, the league, the nation and all future generations, and it's hard to imagine that after long consideration by professionals they came up with that name. :mad:

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    No wonder Jessie Ventura had to take that gig at Harvard instead of doing commentary for the MLS. crap!

15. Eric Bekins

Eric Bekins New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    WVC, UT
    I, for one, will be glad to see MLS in Salt Lake City, but hate the name "Boom!" I don't know how much of an indicator this is, but I did a quick check of internet domain names and found this:

utboom.com is available.
    slcboom.com is available.
    utahboom.com is available.
    slboom.com is available.

So if those combinations are available, maybe that name isn't finalized yet. I saw where some Burn fans were doing domain name searches to try to figure out what their new name will be. If these names are available, that means that someone hasn't yet bought them to apply them to the new team's website. So maybe there's still hope it won't be that name. When I first saw someone post that there will be a team named Boom, I thought maybe it would be an arena football league team.

As far as suggestions, I don't have many to offer that haven't been mentioned already. Salt Lake Trappers is the name of the former minor league baseball team that set a record for something like 29 straight wins in a row. I saw them play at old Dirks field when I lived in Utah in the early 90's.

I think whatever the team is named, it will be named Utah, not Salt Lake. Remember how the Cardinals used to be the Phoenix Cardinals, then they changed the name to Arizona Cardinals? I think that would be the trend.

So here's my list:

Utah Lamanites
    Utah Nephites
    Utah Anti-Nephi-Lehies
    Utah Stripling Warriors
    Utah Danites
    Utah Legion (remember the Nauvoo Legion?)
    Utah Gadianton Robbers
    Utah Zoramites
    Utah Jaredites (Subway could be a sponsor!)
    Utah Batallion (and they could march to San Diego)

Or just call them Deseret SC and forget what anyone else has to say!

16. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Surely there is a name that could be used for the team that hasn't been mentioned yet. Like playing off of the historical conneciton with Browning and his guns. Or with all the great skiing, the Powder. Now being called the Utah Powder would have some great benefits in trying to recruit Daum or Maradona as a coach. :) How about Miners for the mining that goes on in the state? Kicking Elk? Or the Fightin' Fuujins? :)

17. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    How about the Salt Lake Effect

Anyone who can find an email address that will reach Checketts or his cronies, let us know, so we can bombard him with anti-boom mail. We want SLSC.

Steve: "Where are you going? It's awfully early in the morning."
    Curt: "I have a dental appointment."

18. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Perhaps since he's a co-owner of the Blitzz they would pass the negative feedback on if it was sent to them at their site. Maybe someone in Utah has a better email addy..
    Here's where the team would play for at least a couple of years on the campus of the Uni' of Utah..
    contact page link is on the left I think:
    http://www.utahblitzz.com/stadium.asp

19. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an aside, perhaps now would be a good time for Salt Lake City to get its own sub-forum?

I like this!

Keep the bees...or maybe replace them with little soccer balls...:)

It would also pretty much nail down the team colors to be black and gold...

What would be the colors for a team named Boom, anyway?

20. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    It was late last night when I thought of Deseret SC, on second thought, it might be too much for the Gentiles to handle. I do really like the other suggestion of Wasatch SC, that would be cool too. And keep the beehive.

No little soccer balls. That's the one thing about MLS logos that absolutely suck. If you have to include the ball that your team uses in its logo, then your logo sucks. that's why 90% of the NBA's logos suck and they change them year in and year out. Notice that the good ones, like the Bulls (no ball) don't change. Earthquakes, Metrostars, Rapids all need a better logo that doesn't include the dumb ball. It's just too much. Sadly, everyone hates the Burn's logo, but I always liked it better than most. Atleast it isn't a dumb soccer ball in a circle or something crappy like that.

21. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I can see the TV commentary know diverging into the use of effect versus affect. :)

23. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

ooh yeah.. no. I was under the impression that Checketts didn't have any connection to the Blitzz. ? Where's Blitzzboy?

24. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Checketts is in no way connected to the Blitzz. Garff Automotive Group, and the other guy, can't remember his name, got involved with the Blitzz in hope that they would be connected with the expansion. I think Checketts got there first. They have expressed a desire to be part of the organization. This one is just overheard rumor... don't be surprised if a SSS pops up west of the Gateway center.

25. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Okay.. I was under that impression because I just read an article that says he is the co-owner of the Blitzz.. Reporter error I assume.
    I bet I can find it again.