MLS in SLC Part II

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by mattie g, Jun 18, 2004.

1. How about Olympic Salt Lake or Salt Lake Olympic?

2. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    What if Lake Placid wants a team, they've had two Olympics there? Or how about Atlanta? If you mean the mountain, all for it (Mt. Olympus?). It really doesn't matter 'cause all other teams will call them something to the effect of the Salt Licks or something.

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would never happen. As I recall, the IOC has trademarked the word "Olympic" to make it exclusive to The Games. That's why you never see Olympic detergent or Olympic dog food on the shelves at the store.

4. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I know if SLC gets a team that they will stand by MLS tradition and give us another terrible name with an even worse color scheme :)

I was stunned reading some articles that have SLC as the supposed front runner for the 2nd expansion franchise. Mostly because there have been so many other cities mentioned for so long to go with a new comer would be odd.

5. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    so IF rumors are true that a team like San Jose might be relocated this season, would we rather inherit an existing team, or start from scratch as an expansion club? Or does it matter?

6. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Orange shirts.

Green shorts.

(Get it? Green Jello with carrot shavings on top?)

Well, it's better than a uniform that makes them look like Funeral Potatoes.

Why not move the Earthquakes here? Several businesses have moved here from Silicon Valley. Land, labor, sales tax, workers' comp insurance and pretty much everything else here except booze is cheaper.

And Utah is susceptible to California-style earthquakes.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If SLC gets a MLS team and if the Quakes are moving, then of course, it would be better to get the Quakes. Champs 2 of the last 3 years, players like Onstad, Agoos, Delasario...maybe even Donavon. Yes, the Quakes moving to SLC would give them a championship caliber team from the get go. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. Two pretty big IFs have to come together for this to even be a possibility.

8. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this should even be considered a possibility. Correct me if I'm wrong but from all the rumors that I have heard it seems that the owners are looking at the possibility of moving the team not selling it.

First off, I don't know why an owner would actually move the team to SLC unless he/she/they had roots here. While I personally think a team could do well here, it's far from a sure bet. There are other cities which would most likely seem more attractive to a current owner looking to make a move. That and I think that if a SSS is to come to SLC it will most likely be privately constructed and owned.

Secondly, if the rumors are true that Checketts did in fact pay the MLS a one million dollar territory fee (or whatever it's called) wouldn't that restrict another current owner from moving in on his claimed territory?

So it would seem that for an established franchise to move to SLC it would have to be sold into the market.

Anyone see any different facts here?

jason

9. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Boom, here come the Boom, ready or not, here comes the boys from Salt Lake. As reported on ABC4tv at 5:45. The Utah/Salt Lake Boom will be announced as the newest MLS soccer club in the next couple of weeks. DONE DEAL!

10. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

WOAH wait what huh?!?!? are you sh***ing me?? REally??? REalllly??

YES!!! WE'RE GETTING A TEAM!!!!!!

NO! WE'RE CALLED The... boom? boom? ouch.

YES WE'RE GETTING A TEAM!!!! WOOHOO

boom?

11. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Hmmm... the Utah Boom or Salt Lake Boom or Salt Lake City Boom, huh?

I wish I could say that this rumored name comes as a shock to me, but it does not. They're obviously going to try and tie it into the notion of the "sonic booms" that are created when land speed records are set at testing areas like the Bonneville Salt Flats. That, and the "booming" shots that the club's players will unleash on opposing goalkeepers.

Well, I suppose it could be worse. It could be the Boomerzz.

Brian in Boston

12. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    Boom? you gotta be kidding me. Please le that be a mistake. Other than that. Woo Hooo!

13. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    hmm... I'm not finding any info on this.. We may have been had. Blitzz Supporter, care to comment?

boom?

14. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if LA wants a team? Oh, wait...

15. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    ABC4tv is the station I work for. I was running telepromter when I read the script before the newscast. It was broadcast during sports...

"It looks like MLS Soccer will be coming to Utah. ABC4 has learned that Dave Checketts bid to land an expansion franchise was successful. The team, which will likely have the nickname 'Boom', will be introduced in the next two weeks, and will be become the second major francise in the state."

Watch sports on ABC4 tonight, and I am sure the same story will be done again. Look for the ten year old graphic of Cobi Jones too.

16. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That may have been the most effective plug of all time, because I will definitely be glued to channel 4... thanks for the inside info. This is really exciting!

but.. boom?

17. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Everyone who cares about soccer at all, let's all get together and pray that this team or any team anywhere on earth will never be called "the boom" surely someone will notice how dumb that sounds. I thought MLS was moving towards more traditional sounding names, FC Dallas, Chivas, etc..

18. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    While were on it what do you guys think would be a good name for this team? I think SLSC would be a cool name; Salt Lake Soccer Club....

19. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm calling BS on this one. A quick Google found an Olympic Fuel Company

and an

Olympic Heating & Sheet Metal Co

and mine own eyes have seen an Olympic National Bank in my (heavily Greek) neighborhood.

Besides, isn't French just as official a language as English is of the games? So how come Olympique Marseille gets off scott free?

20. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    THANK YOU! I've been saying for ages that SLSC or SLC SC or something like that would be cool. Then we can come up with our own nickname among the fans and media... and I can guaranasstee you it won't be "The Boom" If we absolutely HAVE to have an official nickname then make it something standard.. how about the Salt Lake Bears or the Salt Lake Reds. Salt Lake Vikings, perhaps... there are a lot of Scandanavian families in Utah.

21. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I thought it was going to be "The ZZoom"..I guess they changed their minds.
    Both suck.. :mad:

Anyway.. Time to start talking about where to build the SSS in greater SLC! :)

22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boom?

Hopefully that goes the way of the Chicago Rhythm...

Boom?

Hopefully no fringe on the jerseys...

Boom... :rolleyes:

*takes off glasses, bows head, places thumb and forefinger on bridge of nose, shakes head in disbelief*

Boom...

How in the world do you market something called the Boom?

Boom...

Ah, well...put me down in line to pick up the jersey...

Boom...

Wonder what the logo will look like...

The Utah Boom...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, your UTAH BOOOOOOOOM!!!"

The Salt Lake City Boom...

"And as part of their US tour, Manchester United will visit the Intermountain West to take on the Salt Lake City Boom..."

Boom?

But...a team named the Boom beats no team at all...

23. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knee-jerk emotional reaction follows:

I am more than happy to accept SLC into MLS, even ahead of Seattle. Congratulations, guys!

But, damn, that name is EMBARRASSING as hell! Not just to you guys, but to all MLS fans, and to the poor players who have to tell people "I play professional soccer for the Boom". How can anyone feel proud of a team named the Boom?

I am tired of having to get used to stupid names. Haven't we suffered enough already? And as far as the original stupid names in MLS, this one is worse than all of them combined except for the Wiz, which thankfully has been changed. Why does being an MLS fan have to feel like eating rotten food and liking it? It's one thing to ask for the owners to spend more and more money, but damn, this is so easy to not get wrong, and they pull this stupid crap out of their a$$es. Is it too much to ask for a decent name that people can be proud of?

Okay, I am done being emotional. Good luck SLC.

- Paul

P.S. Boom ... WTF? *shakes head* I have no faith in humanity.

24. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    I highly doubt that the name will end up the boom. If they are going to change "burn", then they will change "boom" almost for sure.

If they don't I could care less. A soccer team is a soccer team. I ABSOLUTELY agree with naming then SLCSC or SLSC. that is freaking tight. I'd go for SLSC, looks and sounds cool.

They didn't say anything about the team being named the boom on the 10:00 news...
    I will also be one of the first with season tickets. I'll be 15 by the time the season starts, so I could have my brother drive me to the games.

Now all I have to do is convince my parents.... Oh well, go (please change the word in the quotation marks) "boom"

Austen
    PS. guess what just landed in my backyard! BECKHAM'S PK!!!

25. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    correct me if i am wrong.....but i thought that when i was in Utah in 2001, they were telling me that the state bird was the seagull. that or they are sacred to the morman religion. I would much rather see a team out there in Utah be the Salt Lake Gulls or the Utah Gulls (or Gullzz as teams in Utah do it). I just don't understand "Boom."